Itinerary Help for Long NYC Weekend in Dec

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2003, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be spending a long weekend in NYC Dec 5-7th. We're coming from Boston, so will have a half day Fri/Sun and a full day Saturday.

We've been once, a long time ago, and have seen some of the touristy things - Empire State, Statue of Liberty, Radio City Music Hall, Central Station, South Street Seaport, Rockefeller Center, Tavern on the Green breakfast.

We've compiled a short list of things we'd like to do and see while there this time. Would like help if this is doable, and any good things we are missing (someone suggested bus tours of upper and lower manhattan and brooklyn). We're not museum types, and probably will not see a show.

St Patricks Cathedral
Rockefeller Center - to see the tree
Stores on 5th Ave - for the decorations more than the shopping - who can afford? - if anyone knows of reasonable clothings stores, let me know!
Diamond District
Carriage Ride through Central Park - where do we pick these up?
NY Public Library
Times Square

We will be staying at the Library Hotel. Also would like ideas on good food that is reasonable and casual and not too far from where we will be touring.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 05:40 AM

The Library is perfectly located for walking to all of your intinerary destinations.

You might want to add a visit to Grand Central Station for the laser light show on the ceiling and a trip (buses go north on Madison and south on 5th) to the Metropolitan Museum of Art for the spectacular Christmas tree.

If you're traveling I-84 through Connecticut, highly recommend a stop at the Sturbridge Bistro on your way. Service is continuous, so you can stop in anytime. Food is wonderful at very moderate prices (they have a website).
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 07:18 AM

We love the Hop on/Hop off bus tours and have taken them many times. But, only when the weather is pleasant. In the wintertime, it's an expensive way to get around and you just can't enjoy the scenery nearly as well.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Anyone have good restaurant suggestions - casual and cheap (moderate) for Midtown area? We like italian, delis, bistros (french especially), good down-home cooking.

We would maybe like to visit an Irish Pub and something in Little Italy that's casual.

I'm going to check out Zagats today, but I always like personal recommendations of people on the board.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 06:32 AM

With all my many NYC restaurant postings, I may have had my head in the sand, but I've never noticed anything about Ollie's. There are several of these, one on 44th, just west of Times Square (by Carmine's). Popped in there yesterday and had a giant bowl of their "Little Bit of Everything" Mandarin Noodle Soup. It was simply great, filled with super broth, fresh vegetables, shrimp,pork, chicken, and God knows what else. Cost? Just $6.25 and is served with a pot of nice hot tea.

Want to do a great French lunch cheap? D'Artagnan on 46th just West of Third Avenue has an amazing $11.95 three course lunch with choices in all three courses. This is now one of my favorite places. Dinner there is fantastic, but not nearly the same bargain, especially if you spring for their amazing foie gras.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 08:36 AM

We went on a carriage ride around Central Park and picked it up at the entrance near FAO Schwartz. The Little Rough Guide Book for New York was invaluable to my family and I when we came for a long weekend. Things to do and to avoid ! Fits nicely into a handbag or purse too.
Enjoy !
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 09:40 AM

Our favorite French spots:

Le Rivage (340 W 46th between 8th/9th) has an incredible 3 courses (appetizer, entree, dessert) menu for $19.95 (including salad and coffee, too).

Pigalle (790 8th, just north of 48th) has vintage decor and moderately priced food. Service is continuous so you can drop by anytime. Food isn't outstanding, but it's good enough.

Maison is on the northwest corner of 7th/53rd. You can't miss the huge terrace with vintage lamps on poles and potted palms. Extensive menu. Great spot for breakfast (served all day), lunch, snack, late night bite. Continuous service here too.

Rue 57 is at 57th/6th. Wonderful brunch offerings. Not too pricey.

Bistro Les Amis is at 180 Spring Street in SoHo. Wonderful spot for lunch, dinner (late, too), weekend brunch.

Cafe Loup is in the West Village at 105 West 13th. Better for lunch than dinner (loud at dinnertime when full). Nearby (must visit) are Bigelow Apothecary (drugstore heaven) and Citarella (market heaven), along with the Forbes Magazine Galleries (with stunning collections, especially Faberge) with no admission fee.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your help!

I have been reading the NY Times Guide to NYC, which is wonderful!

If we have time, what would recommendations be for seeing part of Lower Manhattan - Tribeca, Soho, Greenwich Village? We like little shops, cafes, architecture. We're not too into chic pricey spots or funky.