Itinerary help/Advice Please

Old Jan 29th, 2020, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary help/Advice Please

-We would appreciate some help on the itinerary below.
-We have made refundable hotel reservations for Apr 1 to Apr 7. We are not really sure of the best way to drive back to Las Vegas from Moab. We can start this drive on Apr 8 Wed after visiting Canyonlands National Park. We just have to be in Las Vegas on Apr 10 to catch our 11 pm flight back to Canada.
-Please recommend a route and places to visit. We would like to visit something new and avoid visiting similar places we would have already seen from our travels on Apr 1 to Apr 8. We like nature and hiking and we are relatively fit.

Thanks so much.

APRIL 1 Wed (overnight in Springdale)
-flight arrives in Las Vegas at 2:45 pm
-pick up rental car and drive to Springdale

APRIL 2 Thur (overnight in Springdale)
-hiking at Zion National Park

APRIL 3 Fri (overnight in Panguitch)
-more hiking at Zion National Park
-drive to Panguitch

APRIL 4 Sat (overnight in Panguitch)
-hiking at Bryce Canyon National Park

APRIL 5 Sun (overnight Torrey)
-drive to Capitol Reef National Park via Scenic Byway 12
-visit Capitol Reef National Park

APRIL 6 Mon (overnight Moab)
-drive to moab
-Visit Arches National Park

APRIL 7 Tue (overnight Moab)
-Hike Corona Arch Trail
-Hike Fisher Towers Trail

APRIL 8 Wed
-Visit Canyonlands National Park (and maybe Dead Horse Point State Park?)
-start driving back to Las Vegas (flight back to Canada is on Apr 10 Fri at 11pm)

APRIL 9 Thu
-drive back to Las Vegas

APRIL 10 Fri
-late flight at 11pm back to Canada
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 10:46 AM

Where are you planning to stay in Panguitch? We stayed there a couple of years ago in a BnB that has since closed down (owner retired). Other than that, there wasn't much to recommend the area. Suggest you consider staying at Bryce Lodge if available.
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 11:01 AM
J62

Sounds like a good itinerary to me.

Early April, expect winter weather at Bryce as it is at 8000' elevation. I've been there early and mid may and had overnight snow each trip. It melted during the day and didn't prevent me from hiking but the numerous tourists in shorts & flipflops were not prepared. Beginning of April I'd expect more overnight cold & snowpack on the ground, but ymmv. If you brought strap on shoe spikes you'd be well prepared for any icy trail conditions.

Zion, at lower elevation will be beautiful. The water level in the river will likely be too high for any narrows hiking, but that should not prevent you from enjoying Zion. My go-to lodging at Zion is Cable Mtn Lodge, immediately outside the pedestrian entrance to the park, although anywhere in Springdale is ok. Others prefer to stay in-park at Zion Lodge. That's good too, but not my own choice.
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sludick
Where are you planning to stay in Panguitch? We stayed there a couple of years ago in a BnB that has since closed down (owner retired). Other than that, there wasn't much to recommend the area. Suggest you consider staying at Bryce Lodge if available.
Thanks for your reply. Surprisingly, Panguitch has a lot of openings for our dates. Currently we have a refundable reservation at Chruch's Blue Pine Motel (supposedly ranked #1 out of 14 on Tripadvisor.)

We would really like some help on the below:

"We are not really sure of the best way to drive back to Las Vegas from Moab. We can start this drive on Apr 8 Wed after visiting Canyonlands National Park. We just have to be in Las Vegas on Apr 10 to catch our 11 pm flight back to Canada.

-Please recommend a route and places to visit. We would like to visit something new and avoid visiting similar places we would have already seen from our travels on Apr 1 to Apr 8. We like nature and hiking and we are relatively fit."

Thanks so much.

Old Jan 29th, 2020, 01:55 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
April 9 Drive from Moab south on US 191 into Arizona. Take US 160 west through Monument Valley. Make sure the gas tank is full when you leave Moab.
At the west end of US 160 you will hit US 89. If the weather is good when you get to Cameron, take SR. 64 west to the eastern entrance of Grand Canyon NP. A couple of miles west of the entrance stop to see the tower at Desert View. Take some time to absorb some of the beauty of the Grand Canyon.
Return to Cameron and head south on US 89 to Flagstaff. Spend a night in Flagstaff.
On April 10 you will have some time to see Hoover Dam on the way back to Las Vegas via I-40 and US 93. Driving time from Flagstaff to Las Vegas is about 4.5 hours. The turnoff to Hoover Dam is just after you go over the high bridge from Arizona into Nevada.
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 05:32 PM

Not too far from arriving at Bryce (coming from Panguitch), we noted a park (regional, perhaps?) or trail area off to the left. Our BnB owner said she often liked to hike in that area. We didn't have time to stop and explore it, but there were some really impressive rock formations there.

In Panguitch, we ate at a bbq-type restaurant, Cowboys Smokehouse I believe. Aside from that restaurant, we really didn't find anything else that we cared to visit, although there were some places. Likewise for lodging, but I'm assuming that very modest is what you are expecting at any rate.

By all means, make time for Dead Horse Point. If you have time, drive out to Red Cliff Lodge in Moab (about 20 minutes outside town) and visit their little museum downstairs. It's free, and is a really excellent collection of area history in the movie-making perspective. The Lodge is the old White Ranch, so it's a perfect location. THEN go to Dead Horse, and you'll get the real feel for all the movie scenes.

Old Jan 30th, 2020, 07:47 AM

The route to fuller suggests is what I would suggest. I would stay in Cameron at Cameron trading post or in the NP on night 8 rather than Flagstaff.
Old Jan 30th, 2020, 08:06 AM

I also question the plan to stay in Panguitch. As noted, the motels and dining options there are all quite modest plus it's a relatively long drive from there to Bryce Canyon. There are much better options at Bryce and nearby Tropic, UT.