Reload this Page >

Itinerary for first time in New Mexico?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 04:02 AM
Leann

We're going to NM for only 6 days the first week in October. We're thinking of landing in Albuquerque and driving up to Santa Fe to stay for a few days then on to??? We're looking forward mostly to the scenery, hiking and food! We would like a hotel in Santa Fe with a pool then maybe on to a more rural scenic B & B somewhere. Anything we can't miss or ideas are greatly appreciated. PS. We'll be departing the day the balloon festival starts. What will the temp be? Thanks! Leann

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Paul

There is good hiking right in the Santa Fe area, with numerous well-marked trails. Try the Inn of the Anasazi as a very good hotel with an excellent location.
For scenery, try taking an all-day round trip auto ride between Santa Fe and Taos. Take the High Road to Taos from Santa Fe - leisurely and scenic, with several interesting stops you can make along the way. Taos itself has beautiful scenery just about wherever you look. You ought to stop at the Taos Pueblo while you're there. You can then take the faster highway back to Santa Fe at day's end.

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 03:01 PM
x

I thought Carlsbad Caverns was really neat - amazing what nature can do!
http://www.carlsbad.caverns.national-park.com/

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 07:01 AM
Sherri

Please follow Paul's advise.
The High Road to Taos is NOT to
be missed! Wonderful.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 12:31 PM
marty

The Turquoise Trail--sort of the back way between Albuquerque and Santa Fe has some interesting old towns and the Inn at Galesteo is fabulous--old adobe made into a b&b with a wonderful restaurant. 10,000 Waves the Japanese style spa just outside Santa Fe--has massage, hot tubs, etc also has lodging.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 02:29 PM
Larry

Perfect timing. Do NOT miss the International Hot Air Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque beginning Oct 6 (http://www.aibf.org/events/index.htm). Bad news is that hotels/motels in town will be full so be sure of advance reservations before you go. Is OK to stay in Santa Fe & drive down but start early as the launch is at dawn. 600 or more balloons launching in waves is a sight not to be missed. Try to visit Bandelier Nat'l Monument and, time permitting, drive up to Chama for a narrow gage steam train ride - or just photos along the road. The Rio Grande Gorge Bridge is just a few miles west of Taos. Enjoy!!

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 03:42 PM
Christina

I would go up towards Durango myself, after Santa Fe. Driving from Santa Fe up through Espanola to Colorado is a beautiful drive (part of this is probably like drive to Taos/beginning is same road I think), and over towards Durango is Mesa Verde national park and down in New Mexico around Farmington (I think) are some very interesting Aztec ruins, as well as seeing Shiprock (from a distance, I wouldn't go there). I find nature and history more interesting than artificial manmade things like balloons myself, but to each his own.