Itinerary Advice for Trip from Lake Michigan to Yellowstone

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We visit family in Grand Beach, Michigan every August. This year, we were thinking about doing that and then heading west to see some of the U.S. and, in particular, Badlands NP, Mount Rushmore, and finally GTNP and Yellowstone.

Our plan so far is to rent a car in Michigan and begin the drive. We don't really want to drive more than 6-8 hours per day. Where are good overnight stops along the way to Badlands from Michigan? How many days should we allocate to seeing Badlands? And how many days should we allocate to GTNP and Yellowstone? I understand that many people devote a lot of time to hiking in the parks. We're not big hikers so would prefer to spend our time on short hikes, scenic drives, raft floats, etc.

Also, I assume we will fly out of Jackson Hole? We'll be returning home to NYC.

Thanks so much! We are total novices to travel in the West.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 09:05 AM

The one-way car rental to drop off in Jackson Hole will be scortchingly expensive. As will a one-way flight from Jackson Hole to NYC.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Hmm, I just checked and flights from NYC - Chicago and then from Jackson - NYC are not that bad. $300 - $400 pp.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 10:03 AM

We spent about a day and a half in GTNP, and three nights in Yellowstone. If you'd like to read my trip report, here's a link: http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...d-gorgeous.cfm

We went rafting with Triangle X Ranch and really enjoyed it, despite the cold and wind. Our guide was excellent and knew a lot about what we were seeing.

Lee Ann
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 11:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Rent your car in/near Chicago. Do you fly to Chicago to go to Grand Beach? My plan: Grand Beach, LaCrosse WI, Mitchell SD (see the Corn Palace), Badlands and Mt. Rushmore maybe Crazy Horse. Take the detour over to see Devils Tower on the way to Gillette WY. Depending on your available lodging either in Yellowstone or in West Yellowstone MT. Spend a night in Jackson WY after seeing all of Yellowstone and Grand Teton.
return by way of Salt Lake City, Cheyenne, Omaha back to turn in the rental car in Chicago and fly home to NYC. Please don't create a big drop off fee.
The route I laid out is over 3500 miles in a minimum of 10 days. If you don't have that long, fly to SLC and rent a car there for Yellowstone and Grand Teton.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we fly into Chicago to get to Grand Beach. There is a bus that connects the area around Grand Beach with both Chicago airports.

How many days would you devote to Badlands, etc.? And how many days to Yellowstone and GTNP?

I like the idea of spending a night in Jackson. Have always wanted to see it.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 02:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you leave Mitchell early morning you will arrive in the Badlands by mid afternoon. If you decide you want to see more of the Badlands the next day then stay in Wall which is the home of the world famous Wall Drug Store. Otherwise just head to Rapid City to spend the night before heading to see Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse and Devil's Tower on the way to Gillette.
Spend as much time as you can in Yellowstone NP. Honestly 5 days is not too much.
Be sure to see the elk antler arches at the town park in Jackson.