Search

Itasca State Park

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2007, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itasca State Park

Hello:

In our mini-tour of MN, we are planning a stop at Itasca because we want to see the beginnings of the Miss. River. That day we would be driving from Grand Marais and once we see the park, we would continue driving to Minneapolis. Questions:

1. Is this possible in one day if our only stop is Itasca?

2. If not, should we seek lodging in Grand Rapids, or is there a closer town?

3. How extensive is the hiking/walking to reach the Mississippi River's origin? I only ask because of my 50+ mother and my toddler.

4. Anything worth stopping for (natural wonder, cultural venue) between Grand Rapids and Minneapolis?

5. Lastly, and a bit off topic, is a car necessary to see Minneapolis/St. Paul? Wondering if we could return the rental early so we do not worry about parking in the city since we'll be spending a couple of nights there.

Thank you kindly for your feedback and suggestions.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 04:51 AM

1. Yes. The total mileage is about 493 from Grand Marais - Itasca - MSP. As you probably know, most of it is not freeway/divided, so travel time will be longer. But it's still doable.

2. Bemidji is much closer to Itasca SP than Grand Rapids, and GR is due east so you're headed back to Grand Marais.

3. The walk from the parking lot to the source point where you walk across the "river" is not far and very level and easy. Shouldn't be a problem.

4. Nothing that leaps out at me.

5. Depends on where you're staying and what you want to do. Light rail runs from downtown to the airport to Mall of America. If you only going to be in those areas, you're probably OK without a car. We always get one but we're visiting friends and relatives all over the Twin Cities and we have specific places we like to go.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 08:36 AM

If you will be staying at a hotel in one of the MSP burbs you will definately want a car. If you stay in downtown Mpls. you don't need one. It has everything you want within walking distance and the tram starts there.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the responses.

I did not know about Bemidji, so thanks for the tip.

Yes, we will be staying downtown, so no car needed. Yeay!
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 05:20 AM

We really like the Bemidji area. FYI -Judy Garland was born in Grand Rapids and her museum there is fairly interesting.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 07:26 AM
LHS

5) The bus system/light rail is very easy to use in downtown Minneapolois, airport, and Mall of America areas.