Is weather nice in NC & SC in January?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the weather like in NC and S Carolina after Xmas and before Jan 10th. Is it a place where you can have walks on the beach and dry fine days (not necessarily red hot)? This is a new option for us in our search for a short break after Xmas - a possibility! Also, if we wanted a fairly small villa on the beach whats the best option?
Finally, where would be flying to (main airport) coming from UK? Thanks
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 10:58 AM

Charleston SC averages high 50's lows in the 30's at night in early January, 10 rainy days per January. About 60% of days are sunny.
Wilmington NC is 2-3 degrees cooler.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 11:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nothing close to red hot I'm afraid. Average temperatures for the NC coast are mid 50s (day) to upper 30s (night). Probably slightly warmer along the SC coast but only by a few degrees.

If that isn't enough to ruin your day, lots of places on the NC coast (businesses and rental properties) close during Jan/Feb so your choices will be fairly limited. I'm not familiar with what stays open in SC this time of year.

Regarding airports, Raleigh Durham International Airport is might be a good option.

Sorry to be so pessmistic. Have you considered Floriday?
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

thank for the comments - just wondered, but it doesn't look feasable for Dec/Jan. Yeah we have thought about Florida as well, been there a few times so know what to expect weatherwise. It may well be a big possibility. Have also been checking out cruises for Carribean, but they are very expensive over new year.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 12:11 PM

I'll add that even though those are the averages, very often you'll get days in the 60s and pushing 70, so don't be too discouraged.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 12:56 PM

that's right. you could get ANYTHING weather-wise in the winter in SC. Beautiful, dry, sunny high 60's or cold/damp/yucky (snow unlikely, though).

If it would totally ruin your trip if you had a few days of 40 degree rain, then I would advise against taking the risk, but if not...cross your fingers it could be beautiful.

If you came to Charleston (which I recommend) you would fly into the Charleston airport. I suspect you would have to connect in Atlanta or Charlotte. Try Island Realty or Fred Holland Realty for beach house rentals.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 01:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If someone were travelling a couple hundred miles or so, I'd say keep your fingers crossed and go for it. I like the coast rain or shine, hot or not. But these guys are considering making a transatlantic trip to a place where the weather is just about like home. I'd up my odds with a different location if I were going that far for some sun and dry weather.

That said, Charleston is a lovely place to visit anytime of the year!
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 01:49 PM

Great fluctuations. I've been to southeast NC for Thanksgiving 4 times- twice it was as cold and upper thirties. Twice it was sixtieish and much like Indian Summer. It will fluctuate in January as well.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 02:43 PM

Have you thought about Amelia Island or St. Augustine in Florida? The weather might be a little warmer than NC or SC. Fort Lauderdale and Miami Beach/South Beach don't close down in the winter, in fact, it's usually pretty busy around here that time of year. If I see any specials in the travel section of the newspaper, I'll come back and post a message. It's too early to find any "After Christmas specials."