Reload this Page >

Is Vancouver just Seattle in Canada?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2002, 10:59 AM
Hayseed

I am going to Seattle for the first time over the 4th of July. I will only be there Wed night to Sun morning meaning I really only have 3 days of looking time. Is it worth it to go to Vancouver one night to see it or will I wish I had more time in Seattle. Would the time be better spent Driving Highway 20 and going to Snoqualmie Falls?

Old May 21st, 2002, 11:15 AM
John

Driving Hwy 20 will get you to Snoqualmie Falls precisely never.

Vancouver is absolutely not "Seattle in Canada" although there are many similarities in landscape, climate and lifestyle. Vancouver is definitely in a different country, with a different cultural and social structure, and with a full range of unique features not shared with any other place, just as Seattle is not "San Francisco in the rain" or "Chicago without the Cubs" (thank heavens.)

So the short answer is go if you like, or plan on a longer time to enjoy both places. One day will be either frustrating or a teaser to bring you back.

Highway 20 crosses the North Cascades. Interstate 80 and State Route 202 lead to Snoqualmie Falls.

Old May 21st, 2002, 11:17 AM
John

Doh! Interstate 80 will get you there never too. Interstate 90.

Old May 21st, 2002, 11:25 AM
xxx

Vancouver is Hong Kong in the West. Go to Victoria instead.

Old May 21st, 2002, 11:50 AM
Wendy

Between my giggles I absolutely second what John said!!!!

Old May 21st, 2002, 12:45 PM
DougMcKenzie

Victoria is England in the West. Stay at home instead.

Old May 21st, 2002, 01:10 PM
x

i'd stay in seattle. with only 3 days, you'll find plenty to see and do. if you go to vancouver #1 the border traffic with the large over a weekend and #2 you may waste a 2-4 hours just going across the border.

Old May 21st, 2002, 03:29 PM
Faina

Cool down y'all. I'm going there this weekend to settle your bets I'll be in Vancouver and Seattle through memorial day weekend. Just be patient till I come back.

Old May 21st, 2002, 08:05 PM
Hope

One good thing about Vancouver is that the U.S. dollar is work a lot there. It is a good place to shop.

In addition, Stanley Park is beautiful!

Old May 21st, 2002, 08:07 PM
hope

OOPS! I mean the dollar is worth a lot -

Old May 21st, 2002, 08:36 PM
lisa

Just reinforcing what John said. Vancouver is a world class city - really stellar, and you'd feel cheated if you only gave Vancouver one day. So, you'd be cheating both Seattle and Vancouver! It's about three hours up I-5 from Seattle, without a difficult border crossing, as it is.

There's so much to see around Seattle. Stick around. Save Vancouver for another trip.

Have you been to Mt. Rainier? That would be my first choice day trip from Seattle, though you'd want to go early, as traffic could be bad getting into the park over the holiday weekend.

Old May 21st, 2002, 09:11 PM
April

It hard to get a feel for Vancouver in a day. If it were me (and it's not) I'd spend all three days there.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 06:29 AM
Tom

I would have to echo alot of the above sentiments about Vancouver. It is entirely different than Seattle. It is much more cosmopolitan than Seattle in my opinion, and even more ruggedly beautiful. One day there is not eneough. You should spend at least 2-3 in Vancouver. It is one of the most beautiful cities in the world!