Is this too much for one day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a couple of days in Anchorage, we will leave for Denali.
We were planning on stopping at Palmer for the State Fair then taking our time to get to Denali.
However, now I would like to squeeze a Denali flight in that day.
So, my question is, can we leave Anchorage for Denali, hit Palmer and Denali flight (Talkeetna) and still make it to the park that night?
Thanks,
Molly
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 04:00 AM

No. You need to allow 6 hours for the drive Anchorage/Denali Park allowing for some stops. The Alaska State fair is at least a half day activity - if of interest. My opinion only- I thought it very lacking- but I have the superb NY State fair, to go to. A Talkeetna flight needs at least a 2 1/2 hour detour. Be aware of the different flight tours available and where they go. It would be a VERY long day if you do all this in one.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:07 AM
z

Do not miss the State Fair in Palmer. It is something you won't see anywhere else. If you leave early in the morning you are going to have enough time for all things you want to do in one day and can easily make it to the park that night? Where are you staying in Denali?
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

We plan to stay at the campground right inside the park the first night. Then, I would like to go to Wonder Lake campground for the next two nights.
Trying to get a schedule ironed out so that we can get reservations ahead of time.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 04:36 AM

Don't forget flight cancelation. We just got back, arrived early afternoon and found that 5 o'clock and later flights canceled and all flights were canceled next day because of rain, etc. Please consider calling ahead as you drive.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 11:11 AM
z

Most companies would not charge anything if your flight is canceled due to the weather. This is a common practice for flights in Denali and bear watching trips. Go with company which has a 100% refundable fee if your tour is canceled beacuse of the weather. Ask about it
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 11:14 AM

I still disagree- this is too much for one day. As mentioned- it is an hour to Palmer- 1/2 day at the fair- to really see something, at least 2 1/2 hours for a Talkeetna flight, then 5 hours road travel to Denali Park. Skip either the fair or the flight, if you have to make it in one day.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 04:57 AM

I beg to disagree with Budget Queen who knows all about Alaska. My sister did all listed activities in one day last September. She and her four friends were very happy about it and it wasn't too much for one day. They stop at the State Fair for three hours, took a flight, drove to Perch Cabins where they stayed. She cannot recall but she thinks they arrived at the cabins between 9 and 10 PM. I bet they were tired but also happy.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:11 AM

I also agree with Budget Queen - skip either the fair or the flight.
Any possibility of leaving Anchorage the evening before - go to State Fair in evening, Stay in Palmer for night and head to Denali in the morning.
One other note since I see you are camping at Denali, keep in mind that the Visitor's Center closes at 8pm, so if you need to pick up tickets or campground passes, then you'll have to be there before that time.

We had a 9:15am flight from Talkeetna; spent some time walking around Talkeetna and eating leisurely lunch there after the flight; then drove to Denali - arriving at the Visitor's Center at 6:30pm
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:15 AM

To be clear, I wouldn't do it but my sister is a little crazy. In a positive way.