is this air fare right?advice please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 06:19 AM
ipsych

hi,
we are in the early stages of planning our trip to usa this september-october. we want to travel to ny from uk and then onwards to orlando and las vegas before returning to uk. we have found a fare for the ny-orlando-las vegas-ny sector at $465. is this a good price? this is through delta.would be grateful for any advice on this front

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 06:22 AM
micah

Ummm.....yes, that is a good price.
High season return fares including only the LHR-USA segment cost more than that.
I'd snap that one up.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 06:27 AM
ipsych

sorry, i would like to clarify that the fare i quoted was for the domestic section only(ny-orlando-las vegas-ny). it does not include heathrow-jfk-heathrow which is around 200 pounds

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Ryan

If I understand it correctly, you are flying from NYC to Orlando. Then from Orlando to Vegas. Then from Vegas back to NYC?

If that's true, that price doesn't seem all that bad.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 06:41 AM
micah

Sorry ipsych, I was reading too quickly. I see your dilemma.
That fare is OK. Acceptable.
If you look around you might be able to knock off $75-100.
Have you tried the "multiple destinations" fare finders at orbitz.com or travelocity.com?
I'm sometimes amazed that they'll come up with great multiple destination fares combining different airlines.
If you can't find anything cheaper, though, that's not an unreasonable fare.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 07:13 AM
sss

Seems about right to me but I only have experience with the NYC to Florida fare which is usually $250 on sale. I would think that $465 sounds right if you factor in you are heading across country also. In the past the rule has been wait closer to the date for your fare (Septemeber/October being sale time)but it is so hard to know how the airlines might alter this as so many took huge losses after 911. My gut says wait but follow closely always check with Orbitz.com and then with individual airlines. Even though Orbitz is owned by airlines you won't get a credit if travel is delayed and sometimes fares are the same at both sites...SOOOOO it pays to book with airline directly when you can.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 07:17 AM
SSS

I would wait until June Ipsych if you are finding it hard to wait. I would also choose seats and have the different airlines print seat assignment on tickets (they won't all do this but it is worth a try)that has gotten me a head on line with British Airways at JFK and secured my passage on over booked flights.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 07:39 AM
ipsych

thanks to all of you for the responses. i will wait until late summer to and track the fares. just checked orbitz as advised and realised that the fare can be $78 cheaper per person.much obliged for your tips

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 08:16 AM
hmmmmm

Would suggest you fly from the UK midweek and not a weekend day. There is a surcharge of US50.00-75.00 to fly on the weekends. Also suggest looking into Southwest Airlines from Orlando to Las Vegas. Good luck.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Mary

you didnt really give your dates or how long you would stay each area but i got a fare of 347.00 by just playing around with the dates

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 01:28 AM
ipsych

mary,
at which site did you get the fare( $347)? we will travel in 3rd week of september and stay for a fortnight. dates are pretty flexible.