Reload this Page >

Is there such a place as "old Florida?"

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 1999, 06:39 AM
becky

Several months ago I read an article in our local newpaper about an area in Florida referred to as "Old Florida" and would appreciate any information. My husband and I are planning a trip to Florida in Feb./Mar.
Thanks.

Old Sep 4th, 1999, 02:37 PM
Diane

You might try Ft Myers or St Augustine, but Florida is really quite touristy. Some of the Keys may have an Old Florida air about them. Visit Mt Dora about 30 miles North of Orlando. It is a charming town on a lovely lake. Stay at the lovely Mt Dora Inn.

Old Sep 4th, 1999, 02:46 PM
cedar

The north central towns....especially towns around the St. Johns River. Once you are inland north of Orlando, you will discover many "old Florida" towns. Barberville has a wonderful pioneer village....representing old FL.
Cedar Key is a neat old town on the gulf southeast of Gainesville.

Old Sep 7th, 1999, 04:32 AM
Neal Sanders

Becky, I suspect the author of the article you saw was writing about those parts of Florida that have not been paved over for malls, theme parks, and housing developments; that don't have a McDonald's and a Burger King on every corner.

Those parts of Florida do exist; vestiges of a different time and a delight to stumble upon. The area around Lake Okeechobee is still part of Old Florida, as are the towns west and north of there (Wauchula, Sebring, Ft. Meade, and Avon Park, for example) and Hardee County, where cattle and ranching are still the prime industries.

North Central Florida has much to see that is still very much as it was half a century ago. Marion County (except for Ocala, the county seat) is rife with narrow roads that wander along ponds and streams. In north Florida, the areas east of Tallahassee - Perry, Live Oak, and Madison, seem untouched by the last half of the 20th century.

Those are some starting points; enjoy your visit.

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 01:09 AM
bob

as a life-long resident, I would define
"old FL" as being anyplace AWAY from
the coastlines. Lots of small towns in
the Gainesville area.....Waldo, Palatka
etc........also north west of Tallahassee. I would not want my car to
break down in some of these towns.

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 05:29 AM
sabrina

I think the further north you go, the more "Old Florida" you'll find. Cedar Key is very nice. Also, consider Apalachicola. It's a beautiful little town with a tremendous amount of charm. Not far from Tallahassee.

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 10:39 AM
cp

Becky-
Naturalist John McFee wrote a book called Oranges in the 1960's. As the title implies it's all about the production of Florida oranges for juice and otherwise. Many of the towns people have listed are mentioned in this book. It's short and a good read. You might find it interesting pre-trip reading.

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 12:34 PM
Neal Sanders

My lord, CP, I haven't though of John McPhee's book in years, but it is essential to understanding the difference between a Parson Brown and a Pineapple Hamlin, and why Florida grows juice oranges and California doesn't.

Becky, two other places that represent "Old Florida": Cross Creek, author Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings' home, is still standing and a wonderful opportunity to see what Florida country homes looked like 80 or 90 years ago. It is about 15 miles northeast of Ocala. To get there, take County Rd. 346 off 441 south of Gainesville; then turn south onto County Rd. 325, about 5 miles east of 441. You come upon Cross Creek after about three miles. Micanopy, less that ten miles west of Cross Creek, is a well-preserved country town, 15 miles south of Gainesville on County Road 234 off of I-75. The area abounds in lakes and ponds.

Bob is mostly right that "Old Florida" exists only inland from the coast, but Cape Canaveral National Seashore offers a look at Florida before development. Go to Cocoa, head east across the 528 Causeway, then turn north on Route 401.