Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is there anything good to say about Breck???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2004, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, that's a bit of an attention getter, but I'm getting nervous... I have 3 days planned in Breck and have not been hearing good things about it!

I'm going to Breck after a conference in Denver... will be staying at Breckenridge Mountain Lodge April 1-3. Haven't heard good things about the place, but my coworker called and the manager assured us a good stay. Said its not a honeymoon lodge, but is clean and serviceable, we're not looking for any more than that.

I've heard the town is cheesy, way too built up, has bad food, the slopes are overcrowded... and there doesn't seem to be good reviews on this board either! I'm just looking to know what to expect before I go!

We both ski often in NY, but have never skiied out west, so we're psyched and just want to enjoy ourselves! Niether of us has ever even seen powder, so we really are looking forward to the trip.

Tips for enjoying the town? Slopes? Thoughts on the good and bad? Tips on renting vs. bringing my own skis? (the conference before makes me not want to lug them... can I rent cheap for 2 days of skiing?)

Please and thanks in advance! Kristy

Old Feb 24th, 2004, 07:27 AM

You're going skiing to Colorado (that equals snow and sunshine); it isn't that bad...

I spent a couple of days in Breck last week; there are lots of people, and the area is built up, but that doesn't mean you won't have a good time.

Get on the mountain early, and try to stay off the bottom of the hill after 10 a.m.: we had all of Peak 7 and Peak 10 to ourselves some parts of the day.

Rent skis there; if you get them somewhere off the hill, you shouldn't have to pay more than about $22 bucks a day.

Also, if you can, stop at a King Sooper or Safeway in Denver (there's a post on this site about it) and get your lift tickets there (save about $15 a ticket a day).

In other words, don't worry; you'll have a good time.

Old Feb 24th, 2004, 07:35 AM

I think you'll certainly be able to enjoy yourselves. Yes, Breckenridge can get crowded, however, your dates should be good for avoiding crowds. Most Texas and Oklahoma schools have Spring Break in mid-March and Easter is not until following weekend. Hopefully there will be some wonderful spring powder and beautiful sunny weather. I try to avoid Breck during school vacations because it is so popular with families with young children, in fact, the last time we stayed there was when our now adult children were 6, 7 & 9!

You can find good places to eat in town, maybe someone will give you some recommendations on that. I don't know of the Mountain Lodge so can't offer any input on that.

I would not lug skis out but rent when you are there. To me it's not worth the hassle of lugging them through the airport plus the rental shops have the latest equipment.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you both! This is what I was hoping to hear, I just had to draw out the people with good opinions on Breck. We are very excited for some late season skiing in CO, and just can't wait for the whole experience!

For complete newcomers to 'real' skiing, should we go do Breck both days, or drive somewhere else and get the feel for another mountain(we will have a car regardless). Thoughts?

Thanks again, Kristy
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 08:25 AM

kristy, one of the 3 days get yourselves over to either Vail or A-Basin. Vail for the thrill of a HUGE mountain, and A-Basin for a true local flavor kind of place. regardless you will have a wonderful time at breck. a word to the wise, since you're coming from the east coast. make sure you're plenty hydrated (peeing a nice wheat color -- sorry to be graphic) at least 1 day prior to going up to the mountains. try to limit alcohol intake and also make sure you drink plenty of water during the day. i actually think you'll find breck to be a fun place. post a TR afterwards!
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 12:16 PM

We like Breckenridge, but then we like most of the western ski hills we've been to. I think Saturday has the possibility of being your most crowded day, but that late in the season shouldn't be too bad.

We enjoy walking around the town of Breck in the evening, and don't find it too cheesy.

I don't like the process of learning where I like to ski on a new mountain, so probably wouldn't choose to go to other areas if you're only going to ski for two or three days. If we're not staying ski in/ski out, we often check our skis overnight at the ski hill for the convenience.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 04:44 PM

You will have a great time. My brothers live there and we were there for Christmas. The skiing is okay (compared to Vail, my favorite), but coming from the east you will think you died and went to heaven! I would try a day at Vail or A-Basin (the best spring skiing, but fairly difficult!).

Hopefully you will have perfect spring conditions, sunny and warm!

Breck Mtn Lodge is fine, nothing fancy, but all you would probably need.

The food is fine. My brother works at the Swiss Chalet, great fondue! Do a search on this site for more good recommendations on restaurants.

The town itself is not too cheesy (even though it has its share of t-shirt shops!). There are a lot of visitors from a certain southern state driving Suburbans and wearing their cowboy hats, but you can consider it part of the charm!

I agree with the previous posters about renting skis, not worth hauling them cross country. Also, as a previous poster mentioned, drink lots of water. It's great you will be in Denver to get adjusted a bit to the altitude. It can really ruin a trip!

Also, save time for a drive up the Hoosier Pass...take your camera! Phenomenal views!

From a fellow Kristy, hope you have a blast!
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 08:00 PM

I spent a weekend in Breckenridge this past January followed by 4 days in Beaver Creek/Vail. I didn't ski much in Breck. but had fun when I did on Friday morning/early afternoon. The slopes were not very crowded and very well maintained. We spend much of the weekend walking around the town- there are lots of cafes and restaurants, a nice park on the river, it is built up but there are still many Victorian houses and a very interesting local history museum with great old photos (if you are into that) on Main Street. It is opened pretty late in the evening. One thing to be aware of is that the altitude is higher than many other Colorado resorts and may take some getting used to. I agree that if you have a car you may want to drive to another resort one day. The road to Vail is beautiful but Beaver Creek is close by and is probably better for one day because it is smaller and less overwhelming.