Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is there anyplace like Mayberry left in America?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2002, 05:45 AM
Andy

I just got done watching the Andy Griffth show on TV. Mayberry was quite a town! Nice friendly people, low cost of living, demographicly similar people, no crime, no unemployment, ----I could go on and on. I can't believe that there aren't places that have at least the spirit of Mayberry left in America.

Has anyone visited or lived in a town that is how Mayberry would be in 2002? I am moving!

Old May 19th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Statia

Lake Village, Indiana.

Old May 19th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Andy

If you reply please tell us why the town is like Mayberry, thanks.

Old May 19th, 2002, 06:53 AM
Statia

OK Andy. Lake Village: It's small with relatively little crime, one grocery store, one gas station, friendly people, etc.

I also always describe where I live (althoug not in the US) as being very similar to Mayberry. Population of 2000, no crime, one gas station, one grocery store, everybody knows everybody else, and you always wave when passing someone and greet them with "good day." Yes, there are still places like this in the world.

Old May 19th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Suzy

Personally, I would find it totally creepy to live in a place where everybody knew everybody else.

Old May 19th, 2002, 07:06 AM
Frank

I wish people knew me. Here in Washington DC, I try talking to my neighbors and they act like I am crazy for saying hello. I would love Mayberry.

Old May 19th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Statia

Suzy:

Each to his own...everybody prefers something different and small town/island life definitely isn't for everyone.

I spent the first half of my life in a city with 6 million and the second half I'm spending on an island with 2,000. There are definitely pros and cons to both and I'd be happy in either situation. But, either isn't necessarily for everyone, I'll agree.

Old May 19th, 2002, 07:27 AM
lived in both

Who says Mayberry didn't have any crime? There were bank robbers, drunkards, and swindlers on the show. Also there was only one racial/demographic group represented. This just doesn't exist anymore, if it ever did.

Old May 19th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Ivanna No

You realize that Otis and Barney were more than just friends, don't you? Otis wasn't coming to the jail every weekend just to sleep it off.

Old May 19th, 2002, 08:24 AM
deevee

Kendallville, Indiana, pop.10,000.

The first time I had to visit the dry cleaner after we moved here I walked into an open but empty store with the cashbox sitting on the counter. Being a city girl, my first thought was that I'd interrupted something illegal and I made a quick turn out of there and back onto the sidewalk ... where I bumped into Peachey, the old guy who owned the place. "C'mon back in sweetie," he said. "I was just down to the corner to have a cup of coffee."

We've lived here ten years now. The place has grown and it's not quite so Mayberry-ish (which is frankly a good thing). They still close down Main Street a few times a year for parades and festivals and sidewalk sales. I don't know everybody in town but I know enough people that my teenage kids can't get away with much before I hear about it. There's a little more crime but most days the most interesting note in the police blotter is "Inattention Causes Crash".

The downside is that we lack diversity (but that's changing some too) and we fall short on culture. But if you want Mayberry -- here we are.

Old May 19th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Barney

Mayberry did fine without diversity, maybe that is why everyone got along so well. Diversity creates conflict.

Old May 19th, 2002, 09:09 AM
ellen

The town where Andy Griffith was born, and from which his show was copied, is Mt. Airy, NC. Our family stopped there for lunch on one of our trips and found it to be delightful.

The police cruiser Andy drove sits in front of the old towne jail. Floyds barbershop is still being used. The five and dime store had some fun bargains that our kids enjoyed. And the welcome center featured a myriad of Andy Griffith memorabilia from his various tv shows.

Of special note: Don't plan a trip there on sunday as MUCH of the town is closed down. According to the welcome center hostess, Mt. Airy "still honors God and family on Sunday."

While I don't think I'd ever choose to live there, it was a greatplace to visit and like a step back into time.

Old May 19th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Buckeye

You'll find Mayberry in small, Central Ohio towns. I love their weekly newspapers. They tell who played bridge at whose house, who is in the hospital and what hymns were played at the Presbyterian church on Sunday.

Old May 19th, 2002, 03:13 PM
Sonney

Read replys to "What's it like to live in a small town" currently active on this post. Yes they do exist and they are GREAT.

Old May 20th, 2002, 10:15 PM
joesorce

Travel Holiday magazine lists the ten best small towns in America as:

Madison GA
Monte Vista, CO
St Martinville LA
Cayucos, CA
Saxtons River, VT
Marfa, TX
Clarinda, IA
Pawhuska, OK
Coquille OR
Midway, KY

Old May 21st, 2002, 05:39 AM
Yes

I know where several are, but I'm not giving them away! Otherwise, before you know it they'll be over-run with over-stressed, Northeastern, urban types looking to get that quality of life they chose to forego in lieu of the corporate ladder. Then, you'll see crappy strip malls and the like. Then, it won't be Mayberry anymore. Nya!

Old May 21st, 2002, 08:33 AM
Thelma Lou

Hi,
We live in Mount Airy, NC (Andy's homeplace)- my husband grew up here and although Mayberry is a mythical town, it is interesting how many folks are seeking the serenity that this little town provides.

If you come, stop by the Visitor's Center on Main Street and preview the tape on Andy's life and times, the life and times of Eng and Cheng Bunker the Siamese twins who married sisters and conceived 21 children between them (pardon the pun, folks).

We have a number of wonderful wineries (Shelton Vineyards, The WolfHaus Vineyards with a wonderful up-scale eating establishment that offers a variety of venison dishes and a Dinner Theater).

Mayberry's (er, I mean Mount Airy's) Main Street is a very viable marketplace boasting a number of interesting specialty shops a a ton of Southern Hospitality.

I am actually an "implant" here, but I have come to love Mount Airy and all that she has to offer from the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains to the warm hominess of her citizens.

Y'all come, ya hear? 'Preciate it!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:46 AM
Kristie

I think the town I live in Indiana is like Mayberry. It is Roachdale. We have a small post office, a beauty shop, gas station and a great hardware store. You don't even have to pay at the local hardware. He will just put it on your account and bill you later. If the Hardware is not open, it is not unusual for the local people to go to the owner's home so he can unlock the Hardware and get what you need. Now that sounds like Mayberry to me. Sure, you give up all the convenience of living in the "city." But life is good for our children out here in the middle of the cornfield. We can expose them to the world by traveling and going to Indianapolis. By looking at the other remarks, it looks like Indiana does favor well.

Old Apr 10th, 2013, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im from an amazing little village called West Elkton Ohio... so like a Mayberry...

Also visiting Rome City and Wolcotville Indiana.. very small quaint towns as well
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow 11 year old thread. How does one find something like this?