Search

Is the governer's mansion in colonial williamburg worth the extra admission

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 05:50 AM
kgn
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the governer's mansion in colonial williamburg worth the extra admission

We are going to Colonial Williamsburg next week and want to book our tickets on line. I noticed that there is an extra charge for a few exhibits including the governer's mansion. Is it worth seeing it and are any of the others worth while? We are traveling with 5 kids (3, 6, 8, 9, 12)
Thanks
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 06:12 AM

Yes. Interesting building, good docents, it's air conditioned.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 06:35 AM

Yes, it is. We went about 6 years ago, and I still remember some things about the tour.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 09:09 AM

We went there about 12 years ago when our kids were about 9 and 12 (boys). We did enjoy the Governer's Palace; the two things I remember that impressed the kids the most were the massive array of rifles with bayonets in a circle on the entry hallway ceiling, and swords hanging on the wall, and the hedge maze in the garden, which was their favorite thing.

If your kids want to try out the public stocks, which is kind of fun, be careful; the wooden blocks are pretty heavy, and our son got his arm pinched pretty badly between them and got a very nasty bruise.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 09:20 AM

I have not been in nearly 35 years, but yes.
Still want to have Thanksgiving dinner at the Williamsburg Inn.
M
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 02:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bassett Hall (18th C. home once owned & occupied by the Rockefellers) and the DeWitt Wallace (decorative arts museum) are not, IMO, must see's unless you or family members have a specific interest. Not dissing those places or their value but I just don't see much added value for a family.

The Governor's Palace is one of CW's most popular sights. The palace (and stables) are very interesting. Kids enjoy the hedge maze. The pond and boxwood gardens are also fun for young ones to explore. But is it worth $9 extra a head? Maybe. Lines to tour the house can be long. Gardens and maze aren't as much fun if the heat is wilting. There's plenty else to engage kids in Colonial Williamsburg.

I think it's virtual extortion that Colonial Williamsburg charges extra to see these properties. The ticket structure particularly penalizes young families which, as CW's wealthy benefactors die off, are the visitors and benefactors of the future. It's shameful. Sorry. Rant over.