Is Philly "dry" on Sunday?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed a few restaurants state they are BYOB on Sunday. WhenI mentioned this to a co-worker, he stated that Philly is dry on Sunday. I don't believe him but then again I really don't know. Can anyone tell me the real deal? Thanks
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 10:57 AM

Hi Margaret - I'm going to guess NO on this one. I don't know the law for certain, but I do know I was sitting in a bar in Old City Philly on October 10, 2004 watching a football game while my boyfriend drank several beers (more than necessary, IMO!)...so unless this is some type of ordinance specific to restaurants or a specific part of Philly, I would say it's not true. Drink up!
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 11:12 AM
mei

Philly is NOT dry on Sunday's...there are many great BYOB's in Philly...maybe that's what is confusing things
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Philly is definitely NOT dry any day. Some restaurants that have liquor licenses go BYOB on Sundays to allow patrons to bring their own wines.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 02:25 PM

Can't you bring your own wine anytime? In California most restaurants let you bring wine anytime, they just charge a corking fee and don't offer the preliminary taste before the full pour. Just curious.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 04:43 PM

Parrothead, I think that this is the case at many restaurants in Philiadelphia with liquor licenses. But, Philly is a little different in that there are lots of restaurants with no liquor licenses that are ONLY BYOB. Because of the Quaker tradition in PA (and now politcal reasons), liquor laws are quite restrictive and there are a limited number of licenses.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 05:20 PM

Suki,
Don't be fooled by the Quaker "tradition" as the reason why liquor licenses are limited. We've got the same rules in many NJ towns.

The underlying reason why the system remained (remains?) popular is because selling liquor licenses was a MAJOR income source for less than honest politicians.

Like Dennis Miller once said "No local councilman wants a higher office. They couldn't afford the paycut."
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 08:37 PM

The Philadelphia and New Jersey restaurants that are BYOB do not charge corkage.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 06:53 AM

<The Philadelphia and New Jersey restaurants that are BYOB do not charge corkage.>

Ain't it great!!!!!
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Jed

With the anticipation that this is a controversial topic, I feel that bringing your wine to a restaurant that serves liquor is a bit tacky.

There was an article some time ago in the Philadelphia Inquirer about this. As I remember, the gist of the article was that it could be done if there was some reason for it, such as wanting a special bottle that you could not get at the restaurant for a special occasion. And in any case it would be prudent to call beforehand saying that you are doing so. Just bringing your own bottle to a restaurant which is not BYOB would be in bad taste.

So what are your opinions?

FYI - Some "State Stores" are open on Sunday for liquor sales.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 08:53 AM

Jed,
I'm with you on this. I really don't think most NON BYOB restaurants would welcome you bringing your own wine. That is why some of them are specifically allowing it on Sundays. This is a "special" privilege at those places on that day. Restaurants make most of their profit on liquor, not the food. If a restaurant shells out all that money for a liquor license, they don't want you bringing your own.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 11:00 AM

You're right, it would be tacky bringing your own wine to a restaurant that serves beer/wines & liquor, unless you paid corkage.

I'm talking about restaurants that don't have a license to sell either. It's a part of the culture here in NJ to bring your own wine to a BYOB restaurant.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 01:36 PM

I might also add, as a resident of Philadelphia, that bars/restaurants can't serve alcohol after 2 AM. The only exception to this rule is if the bar/restaurant is a "private club." For a fee (sometimes up to $25), a person will be admitted after hours because they are a "member" of the "private club." This is a big racket, in my opinion.