Restaurants in Minneapolis

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Twin Cities in mid-September and are looking for restaurant recommendations -- particularly those to which you can bring your own wine.
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 05:46 PM

Just because it will come up, are you talking about places that don't serve wine, or those that do but will charge you corkage to brink your own? And if so, how much for that are you willing to pay? $10? $20?
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 09:48 AM

Rosebow----type in Minneapolis restaurants in the "search" box, and you'll find a couple of threads there that will help you. Altho, I'm not sure about the "bringing your own wine" thing. Not sure if you'll get help on that. Lots of fun places to eat tho. Do you know what part of the MSP area you'll be staying in? That may help when giving recommendations.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 11:01 AM

Hi Rosebowl,

I am sorry that I cannot help you with restaurants that allow you to bring your own wine, but like Patrick stated, if it is for say a special occasion, like an anniversary or something, many fine dining establishments do allow this, of course, charging you a corking fee.

I would be happy to give suggestions on dining if you give some particulars such as price range, what area of the city, etc.

We have great restaurants!

Enjoy, Tiff
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 01:43 PM

Here's a rather light and interesting article about Minnesota corkage fees.

http://citypages.com/databank/22/1096/article10005.asp

Be aware that in the midwest you are likely to get a rather rude reception if you bring your own wine, unlike the general acceptance of it in places like California. But some nicer places are used to the custom -- so long as you don't object paying dearly for the privilege. Needless to say, I wouldn't consider it unless it was an exceptionally "worthy" bottle that would not possibly be on their list.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 06:28 AM

I agree with other posters-- I don't think bringing your own wine is very common here in the Twin Cities.

I can only recall a few restaurants where I've seen other ppl bring in their own wine.

Vincent in downtown Minneapolis. I don't know what their corkage fee is though. And I got the impression that the person who brough in their wines was a regular so it may have been a rare occurrence. Vincent is wonderful and one of my favorite places to dine. They have a pretty extensive wine list though so you may not feel the need to bring your own.
(http://www.vincentarestaurant.com/)

I also believe that Mojito is St Louis Park allows ppl to bring in their own wine. It is a Brazilian steakhouse but there are other restaurants out there that I would recommend before Mojito.
http://twincities.citysearch.com/pro...pecialty_id=27

Finally, I also believe Manny's in downtown Mpls will let you bring your own wine. We've done this for company Christmas parties but not sure what the corkage fee was. Manny's has great steaks and seafood- one of our favorite places to go also. Definitely geared toward carnivores!
http://www.mannyssteakhouse.com/

That being said, it is also difficult to recommend restaurants without a location, budget, and cuisine preferences. Some more info about preferences would help us out.

Hope this helps!
JaneR
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 07:28 AM
E

Levain is our hands-down favorite for exquisite food and service; its only down side is that it's noisy. D'Amico Cucina is quiet and romantic. So is Vincent, although we were a bit disappointed by the food--it wasn't bad, just dull.
Are you looking for a special occasion place, Rosebowl?
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions. I think we sidetracked the discussion with too much emphasis on BYOB. We're looking for good, typical Minnesota fare; not fancy, where we can get out for less than $100 (or more, if it's a great restaurant). Downtown or within 10 miles thereof would be perfect.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 05:56 PM

Hi Rosebowl,

One place that has fine dining, but also has a bar that is more casual is Palomino. Delicious food, it is our favorite, my DH and I LOVE it there, never a bad dining experience.
The restaurant is dressier, you get alot of pre-theatre goers, but the bar area is more casual, very nice, with a good hip crowd, they have a bar menu but you can order off the regular menu as well. As long as you don't order alot of drinks, you can keep it under $100. Order the chop-chop salad, and the Rigatoni Bolognese is to die for!
It is right downtown.

Murray's is another great restaurant, you walk in and expect Frank Sinatra and his brat pack to be there, lots of classic charm with servers that have been part of this delicious establishment for years. Home of the butterknife steak for two!

Really Rosebowl, there are so many more fine dining places I could go on and on about, and if you don't order expensive bottles of wine, and maybe skip or share a dessrt you can keep it around $100. And really all you can get away with slacks and a nice shirt if you want to keep it more casual.

Minneapolis and St. Paul have wonderful dining opportunities, enjoy! Tiff
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 06:27 PM

Palomino is my favorite restaurant in downtown Minneapolis, but it is part of a small chain, and if you are looking for a restaurant with a "Minnesota" feel and I don't think it fits the bill.

Some that might ... In downtown Minneapolis you have Murray's Steakhouse, Mission American Kitchen, the Firelake Grill (in the Radisson hotel) and the Nicollet Island Inn.
Just outside of downtown is Lucia's - according to some the best restaurant in town.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 06:32 PM

Funny, I'm not too familiar with Minneapolis, but Palomino was the first place that came to mind for me. It may be a chain, but the one in Minneapolis was our first one, and when I go to others I still think "Minneapolis".
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 06:54 PM

Patrick, you're not going to get too much of an argument out of me! As I said, I love Palomino (especially their rigatoni bolognese). The location in Minneapolis has been here a while, so it probably was one of the first in the chain (there are 11 in the country now).

And speaking of "first in the chain", if you want to stuff yourself with Italian food, the very first Buca di Beppo restaurant was (and still is) in downtown Minneapolis. And Totinos is just across the river from downtown a few blocks down on Hennepin Avenue. Owned and run by the grandson of Rose Totino (of Totino's pizza fame - although don't hold that against them!)
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 07:52 PM

How interesting that you mention Buca di Beppo, one of our very few other dining experiences in Minneapolis. I HATE the chain and think it is awful, so I wasn't about to mention the original which we thought was simply wonderful.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 08:55 PM

If you're into jazz, try the Dakota at 1010 Nicollet, Mpls. It used to be in St. Paul, then moved, so beware if you look it up on the Web and get another address.

Try the brie and apple soup to start - trust me on this.

Have fun!

Restaurant Info

Cuisines:

· 
American (Traditional)

Price:

· $$$

Hours:

· 
Mon-Thu 11am-11pm;

· 
Fri 11am-12am;

· 
Sun 5pm-10pm

Payment:

· American Express

· Discover

· MasterCard

· Visa

Parking:

· Garage; valet

Special Features:

· Happy Hour

· Live Music

· Bar Scene

· Outdoor Dining

· People Watching

· Date Spot

· Lunch Spot

· Brunch

Own this business?

» Enhance or edit your listing

See something wrong?

» Suggest a correction

Things to do nearby:
1010 Nicollett Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55403

·
Restaurants

·
Hotels

·
Bars

·
Movie Theaters

·
Department Stores

·
Shopping Centers & Malls

·
Grocery Stores

·
Pharmacies

·
Florists

·
Banks

Related Searches

·
Minneapolis Restaurants

·
Search anything in Twin Cities

·
Search Yellow Pages in
Twin Cities

·
Search other Cities

·
Browse Twin Cities Editorial Lists

Schedule

Dates
Event

08/22 - 08/23
John Stevens

08/24
The State Champs

08/25
Claudia Schmidt

08/26 - 08/27
Nachito Herrera

» View an extended schedule...

Citysearch Editorial Profile -- By Donna Tabbert Long

The Twin Cities' premier jazz club opens its doors in downtown Minneapolis--and everybody wants in.

Editorial Rating: Recommended

The Scene
In contrast to its former home, a quiet spot in St. Paul's Bandana Square, the Dakota's present space is poised, roomy and happening. Decor is smoothly understated--a hallway latticework punctuated by wine bottles, scattered musician posters on the walls, a retractable curtain separating the jazz club from the dining room. Service is impeccable and caring. Be prepared: On Saturday nights, the line goes out the door.

The Food
Besides great jazz, the emphasis here is on Chef Ken Goff's creative renditions of refined Midwestern specialties. Start with signature creamy Brie-and-apple soup or an excellent duck-filled wonton, steam-fried and subtly spiced with cranberry-maple sauce. Comfort-food classics range from rustic beef stew to smoky grilled bison and bacon meat loaf. Walleye is overpowered with mustard, but fork-tender Pipestone pork is sheer perfection. Desserts delight: Don't miss the lemon meringue pie, a flaky homemade crust filled with pure, puckery-fresh filling.

Editorial content is independent of paid advertisers. Any expenses are paid for by Citysearch.

Insider Tips

Where to Sit
Want to chat? Sit on the mezzanine, where you can have a conversation without disturbing other listeners or insulting the musician.

When to Go
There's no cover for the jazz club if you're dining, so make reservations for a late supper. At 10pm, the curtain separating the dining room from the jazz club opens, so you get to see the show for free.

Save Money
Stop in weekdays, 3pm-6pm, for Half-Price Happy Hour.

User Reviews

<!--
helpfulSubmit = function(id,num){
var frm = document.forms['helpfulForm' + num]
frm.rating_type_id.value = id;
frm.submit();
}
//-->

What users are saying

Prompt seating: yes
Make reservations: yes

Romantic: mixed
Good for kids: no

Good for groups: mixed

Write a review and share your thoughts with other users.

awesome time...

Posted by cubie948 on 03/12/2005

Went there for the first time on Saturday night, made a reservation, got our table right on time. Greeted with water and drinks right away, tasty bread to snack on while we wait for food. Meanwhile a jazz band was whaling away on upbeat toons, impressing the crowd. The Overall has a great time, great food, and unbelievable music! Awesome time!

Prosnbsp;Food, Music, Very Friendly
Overall user rating: Highly Recommended

Was this review helpful: Yes or No | Request removal of this review

» Read all 12 reviews

Related Editorial Content

Where to Throw a Party
An unforgettable birthday party, bridal shower, anniversary gala, engagement bash or office party starts with finding the best party spot or private room in Twin Cities.

Smoking in Twin Cities
Need a cigarette? Try these Twin Cities restaurants, bars and clubs that still allow smoking.

New and Notable Restaurants
From a chic upscale bistro to a coming-soon hot spot, get the buzz on the Twin Cities restaurant scene.
View More »

function submitPost (url) {
document.forms.submitPostForm.action = url;
document.forms.submitPostForm.submit();
}

Specialty ratings for Dakota Jazz Club & Restaurant:

9.3Date spot

9.3French Fries

9.4Wine List

9.7Happy Hour

9.7Live Music Venue

Close

Recognition for Dakota Jazz Club & Restaurant

Nominated for
Best Dining with Music

2000 Audience Winner
Best Jazz Club

<!--
// The following line is used to load the ad frame after the page has loaded due to slow page load issues.
addToOnLoadLast("loadIFrame('sidebarAd','http://ads.as4x.tmcs.net/html.ng/sit...%3DMN')");
//-->

About Us | Advertise with Us | Contact Us | Site Guide | List Your Business on Citysearch | Become an Affiliate | Job Opportunities | Other Cities | Get a Business Website | Submit an Event | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Twin Cities Yellow Pages

Citysearch is a registered trademark of 720619 Ontario Inc. and is used under license
(C) 2005 Citysearch.com All rights reserved.

partner sites:
Evite - Entertainment.com - Gifts.com - TripAdvisor - ServiceMagic - Ticketmaster - Expedia - Hotels.com - Hotwire - HSN - LendingTree - Match.com - RealEstate.com - ReserveAmerica - Zerodegrees - CondoSaver - ClassicVacations

<!--
// The following line is used to load the ad frame after the page has loaded due to slow page load issues.
addToOnLoadLast("loadIFrame('popupAd','http://ads.as4x.tmcs.net/html.ng/sit...%3DMN')");
//--> <!--
addToOnLoadLast("loadIFrame('popunderAd','http://ads.as4x.tmcs.net/html.ng/sit...%3DMN')");
//-->

var ESCust = '137~Dakota%20Jazz%20Club%20%26%20Restaurant~138~5 525425~139~9.3~141~1~142~1~143~2~144~American%20(T raditional)_$$$~';
/* initialize variables to zero-length string */
var pageBrand = "",
pagePagename = "",
pageMarket = "",
pageProperty = "",
pageType = "",
pageCslink = "",
pageUlink = "",
pageLocationType = "";
siteVersion = "";
pageErrorCode = "";
sessionId = "124a478d93ff8faf82b8f7d5493f118ac49d49a0";
pageBrand = 'seo_google'; pageMarket = 'twincities'; pageProperty = 'seo_google-alpha'; pageType = 'profile';
pagePagename = 'profile'; pagePagename = pagePagename + '-2'; siteVersion = "alpha";

test text