Reload this Page >

Is Pennsylvania worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 1999, 10:02 AM
AMBER

We are planning a trip to D.C. and were thinking about going up to Hershey, Penn. Is it worth it? What else should we do besides the chocolate factory? Kids Ages: 9, 11 & 13

Old Jul 1st, 1999, 11:25 AM
Meredith

There is a popular amusement park in Hershey. I was about the same age as your children the last time I was there, and I enjoyed it.

Old Jul 1st, 1999, 02:00 PM
Dani

From the viewpoint of a 16 yr old who has been to Hersey Park about 8 times (and has 4 younger bros and sisters of various ages), it is definitly worth it. The chocolate factory is great( the tour, which is really a ride that takes you through all the "stages" of the candy making, is a lot of fun) ... and free... (we like the free candy bar you get at the end), and the adjoining amusement park is even better. I think it's about 25 dollars a ticket for all day. The rollar coasters are fun, and your kids should be old enough to go on most, if not all, the rides. One word of caution-bring your own food, because here, like most amusement parks, the prices are outrageous. Besides the park and the factory, there really isn't much else to do. There is a Hersey children's museam close by, but i was never impressed by it.

Old Jul 1st, 1999, 02:48 PM
Vic Osaki

In addition to the amusement park and the factory, it would be a shame if you did not spend some time in Amish country. The Amish are spread out but many live in the Lancester area. My daughter was 11 when we toured the area. I believe she learned something about nderstanding how others can live very differently and yet lead productive and meaningful lives. We purchsed a cassette with a map. The package designated a car route with exact places to stop with a narrative at each stop. At the end of the tour we felt we learned something about the Amish. They really do have pretty farms. If you go to Amish country you should stop at a "family style" restaurant which serve heaping amounts of simple but well prepared food at long communal tables. You get some sense of a farm family's Sunday dinner.

Old Jul 1st, 1999, 08:37 PM
Kara

Family Style Restaurant - Good n' Plenty in Lancaster

Old Jul 2nd, 1999, 05:40 PM
bigthinkers

We just did Hershey last month, and got such a kick out of the little (12 minute) tour that we did it twice. Actually, we just wanted another chocolate bar.... We arrived late, and didn't plan on going into Hersheypark, but changed our minds at the last minute. They have a 3 O'clock entry ticket for a discounted rate. Unfortunatly, storm clouds began to roll in, and since the tickets are non-refundable and many rides close down during a storm, we decided to skip it. (Good choice, as it turned out). It looked like a lot of fun, though! I'm sure it would be worth it!

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 01:47 PM
kam

Gettysburg Battlefield and Valley Forge are not too far from Hershey and Lancaster. The Amish are wonderful folks who love life and a great people for your kids to find out about. Also, the land in this area is very pretty--rolling hills and prosperous farms. You might take them to the Lancaster Central Market while there.

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 11:11 AM
Mary Z.

If you go to Hershey, be sure to take the trolley tour that leaves from Choc. World (right beside the park). This goes around the town, and tells about the history of the town (done in a fun way, not boring). There's a zoo, and gardens (depending on time of the year).

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 03:46 AM
L Ansel

Located nearby are:
Hershey Planetarium Hershey
City Island Park Harrisburg
Indian Echo Caverns Hummelstown