Reload this Page >

Things 4 Kids to See

Search

Things 4 Kids to See

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 1999, 09:44 AM
AMBER

Things 4 Kids to See

We will be visiting D.C. in August 1999. What are good things for kids 9, 11 & 13 to do?

Old Jul 1st, 1999, 03:13 PM
Diane

Expect to spend a couple of days visiting the Smithsonian, but the Air & Space museum is very popular with families and you shouldn't miss it. For years we always took our kids "downtown" for Christmas shopping at the museum stores. I think the two largest are Natural History (which is also very popular) and Air&Space. I love the National Gallery, and the Hirschorn but unless the kids love art, they'd probably prefer something else.
Across the river in Virginia is the Newseum -- which has interactive exhibits about working at a newspaper, and you can video yourself at a newscaster, weatherperson or sports reporter. You can use Metro to travel to all these spots. If they are adventurous in what they will eat, take a cab to Adams Morgan (19th and Columbia is a starting point) to choose from just about any type of foreign cuisine you can think of -- Vietnamese, San Salvadorean, Afgan, French, Ethiopian, Spanish...it is pretty cool. You can usually have the host/hostess call you a cab to return to your hotel.

Old Jul 2nd, 1999, 09:40 AM
anna

My kids enjoyed the Postal Museum, just acress the street from Union Station, and thought the FBI tour was very cool. The gem and mineral exhibit at the Natural History was recently reconstructed and supposed to be excellent. That's where the Hope Diamond is. It was under construction both of the last two times we went so no first-hand recommendation.

Old Jul 2nd, 1999, 11:17 AM
stucci

Beau of Printing and ENgraving - they get to see how the govt. makes money! Jefferson and Lincoln Memorial, Holocaust Museum (kinda depressing though), Natural History Museum (u can see the hope diamond), and if u dont mind going about 30min. more - go to BAltimore to the Aquarium. I'm 18, and even though i'm not into aquatic life...i loved to Aquarium!
THe WHite House is a must too - but u have to get up at least at 5am to get there early enough for tickets.

Old Jul 2nd, 1999, 05:34 PM
bigthinkers

All good ideas above. Just wanted to add this: the food at Natural History was SO expensive! We had a vegi sandwich, two cups of soup, a little bag of chips and pop. Cost? $23.00 I don't know about the other Smithsonian cafe's but I suppose they're the same. YIKES!

Old Jul 3rd, 1999, 05:52 AM
Beth

Don't forget the National Zoo. Its a very good zoo. Although its too bad the giant panda is ill, and I guess you can't always see him (and he's not expected to live much longer either ).

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 01:42 PM
kam

How about a boat ride down the Potomac to Mt. Vernon? Arlington National Cemetery with the changing of the guards and the Vietnam Memorial. A lunch and afternoon looking in shop windows in Georgetown might be fun if they are girls into shopping.

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 07:46 AM
marilyn

Our kids loved the FBI tour, especially the shooting demo at the end. We also visited the Ford Theater, where the docent was very good in retelling the story of Lincoln's assassination, and had lunch at Hard Rock Cafe--all three things are in close proximity. The White House, the Lincoln Memorial (we're from Illinois!), the Holocaust Museum, and Arlington National Cemetery were also engrossing. My antidote after the Holocaust Museum--depressing but also inspiring at the end, where the white wall salutes ordinary people who did heroic things--was a visit to the First Ladies costume collection at the History Museum. I assume it will be very HOT in August, so don't forget some pool time back at your hotel!

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 05:35 AM
sandy

Hi,

1. August is oppressively hot -- plan outdoor things for early morning.
2. Zoo -- it's sharply downhill from Conn. Ave (Metro) to Rock Creek park (parking). Remember that if your kids (or you) will get tired toward the end of the visit and plan accordingly.
3. Kids won't normally "cotton to" art museums, but the East Wing of the Nat'l Gallery is neat just to walk around in (tell them to find right angles -- they won't be able to, even in elevators), and the underground cafeteria between it and the West Wing is fun.
4. Best view of the city isn't the Wash. Monument (which is in scaffolding anyway and may be closed altogether) but from the tower in the Old Post Office Pavillion. Food court below offers great variety of reasonable food.