Reload this Page >

Is NYC a Worthwhile City to Visit

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 03:18 AM
Armstrong Wong

Given the high costs of lodging and all time zero hotel room vacancy, is New York City a worthwhile city to visit? My primary objective is to take my two sons to visit museums. We visited the city twice before. MOst NYC museums can be found in other cities such as Boston and Washington, DC, with easy accessibility such as parking.

Your valuable comments will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Armstrong

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 04:08 AM
howard

There's no city in the world like New York. Without question, it's one of the great adventures! As for museums, I think you mean that there are museums in other cities that are comparable to those in New York...not the same musuems. You could be right, but there are many more of them in New York. And none elsewhere can compare to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. IF you come in January after the holidays, it'll be easier to find hotel rooms.
For those who don't recognize his name, Mr. Wong is not a troll! He's posted here often before!

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 04:23 AM
Paul Rabe

New York's museums are incomparable for the U.S., perhaps even the world. It is NOT a city to visit if you drive a car; as you note, parking is just about impossible to find. That's why you leave your car at your home or hotel, and take the subway to the museums.

I've visited many cities in the US, and New York is far and away my favorite.

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 04:44 AM
Armstrong Wong

Sorry for being less unspecific. Taking Museum of Natural History for example, if you walk thru the one in NYC and another in Washington, DC, you may concur my observation. New York City has the highest number of museums in the United States. Within 1 mile radius from downtown Manhattan, there are 43 museums, though not necessarily all musuems are interesting to young kids!

BTW, for lodging, is it possible that I stay at a motel in NJ across Huson River and take public transportation to NYC? Is it a practical idea?

Armstrong

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 05:06 AM
Owen O'Neill

You could stay in NJ and take the bus in and out of the city. For example, a decent hotel/motel in Secaucus would cost about $100 per night after the X-Mas season and transportation would be about $4 round trip per person per day. If you plan to do lots of walking, perhaps stay in the city for dinner, want the option to go out in the evening for a movie or show or like the convenience of having a place to unload purchases or shed your heavier clothes if it gets warm... there's no substitute for staying in Manhattan. If you'll simply come in, visit museums and return to the hotel for the evening, then the commuting from NJ is more realistic. You should be able to get a decent (not luxury but clean and acceptable)hotel in Manhattan for $130-$200 per night between early January and late March. It might require using a discounter such as Quikbook or others but this is a realistic price at that time of year (but not during summer or X-Mas season).

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 06:00 AM
howard

re: American Museum of Natural History. The one in New York has the fantastic new planetarium, whose show is not the be missed!

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 06:09 AM
Armstrong Wong

Howard,

Thanks for your tips. The planetarium was still under construction last December when we visited the museum.

Have you visited National Museum of Natural History before? IMHO, it's the largest and the best in the world. Above all, like most museums in Washington DC, it's free of charge.

Armstrong

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 07:23 AM
Dee

Boston and Washington DC, easy accessability to parking? You are kidding, aren't you? There is never a time that NY is not worth a visit. Christmas especially.

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 08:04 AM
Jace

There is an extensive system of B&Bs -- of a specific kind -- in NYC, thanks to high hotel prices and rent-control that makes people unwilling to let go of an apartment, even if they've moved to a better one. The arrangement is often that you pay a certain amount to an agency or directly to the apartment-"owner" and you can use the kitchen while you're there. Some provide food for breakfast (cereal, coffee, and rolls or fruit or . . ) and the more expensive ones actually make the breakfast or have it delivered.

I found a place through word of mouth, so I don't have a good website to give you, but I suggest a little research on-line might work.

I love Boston. I love Washington. I love, even, Philadelphia. But New York is definitely worth a vist -- you can't possibly have seen everything, and if your sons are older, they will appreciate different things. Go beyond the museums, also. Explore the architecture; do walking historical tours; take boats. Visit the Cloisters and NBC studios. etc. etc.

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 08:12 AM
Jace

Just found for you: http://manhattanstays.com/ (start at $90) and http://www.b-apple.com/

Enjoy.

PS: For the record, no two museums are alike, nor are the ones in Boston and DC strong in the same things NYC are.

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 08:24 AM
Neal Sanders

Armstrong, while Washington's Smithsonian Museum of Natural History may rival the one in New York, New York definitely has things of great interest to your sons that can't be found in Washington or elsewhere.

First and foremost, the Met's Egyptian collection is one of the world's best (and best presented), and it is my observation that children's eyes light up in the presence of Egyptian artifacts. The second-best collection of Egyptiana is across the East River at the Brooklyn Museum of Art. Only Boston's Museum of Fine Arts has even a "good" Egyptian collection among US museums outside of New York.

Second, there are specialty museums than appeal to children. I have in mind the Forbes Gallery, which is child-centric in its presentation and content.

But I think museums are just an excuse for seeing what is truly special about the city... and that is the city itself. The rhythm of New York is magic to a child, as you probably noticed on your earlier visits. The majesty of the public spaces -- the New York Public Library and Grand Central Station come immediately to mind -- have children spending much of their time with their heads pointing toward the ceiling. You don't get that experience in Boston or Washington.

As to where to stay, New York's hotels are at their worst right now. Things are much more open the week just before Christmas, and by January 5, hotels are openly vying for customers. If you choose to stay outside of the city, consider Stamford, which has three good-sized hotels within a short walk of the train station. Stamford has frequent express service (47 minutes) into the city, arriving at Grand Central Station.

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 08:34 AM
AC

Hi Armstrong:
If you don't want to stay in Manhattan how about Tarrytown about 25 miles north of NYC in Westchester County. It has a great history of its own. Sleepy Hollow is the next town up. Metro North Railroad Hudson Division runs many trains to grand Central Terminal all day long. www.mta.nyc.ny.us for schedules and information.
Do a search on the web for Tarrytown or Sleepy Hollow. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 09:08 AM
Daniel Williams

Hi Armstrong.

New York City is without question worth a visit again and again. You certainly haven't seen it all; I think most lifetime New Yorkers have not begun to see it all. Only in New York City do you have the United Nations, only in New York City do you have Broadway, only in New York City do you have the Guggenheim, the Metropolitan Opera, the largest Puerto Rican community outside Puerto Rico...New York City has a unique blend of diverse cultures that make it unlike anywhere else in the United States or the world. There's always something new, cutting-edge, innovative going on there. TRUE Washington, DC, Philadelphia and Boston have their own fascinating, unique heterogeneous mix and are all very worthy again-and-again destinations in their own right; YET New York City is also unique...remember, 17 million people creates a diversity that none of the others could ever have. For example, New York City has the largest Jewish community in North America...other cities true have Jewish communities, but only in New York do you get a sizeable Sephardic, Hasidic and other smaller communities.

And I concur with the others...leave your car at home.

Have a great time wherever you decide to travel. DAN

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 10:47 AM
PRC

Armstrong -- let us know what you end up doing.

I agree with almost everything people have said, but Neal -- with respect but for the record -- there are plenty of places in DC and Boston where kids can stand in awe looking above them -- the Jefferson Memorial, Union Station and the Capitol building come to mind for DC. Boston has Trinity Church, the Public Library, and Faneuil Hall -- admittedly not the Sistine Chapel but worth a look.

But New York will always be the Big Apple, no argument.

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 03:19 PM
james

No and yes. NYC is a long way down of the places in world to visit - but it's museums are staggeringly good - a week wouldn't be enough. There is enough to see in the museums that you really need several visits. You might then fall for the odd charm of NY~!

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 03:29 PM
tcc

As the other posters said, New York is a great place to visit. There is more here than museums (the U.N., Empire State, etc), but if you do want to do the museum thing there are plenty of good ones and many of them appeal to kids. Hotel rates are AWFUL. I haven't been to the Marriott in Brooklyn, but perhaps you should give them a call to check out their rates. Or take up the other posters suggestion of staying in Jersey or elsewhere, but yes, do come to the Big Apple!

Old Dec 24th, 2000, 01:35 PM
exnewyorker

nyc really is wonderful
very busy --very alive
a walking city but easy subways
to help those tired kid legs

but please please please
do not try to go in and out of the city
there is never enough time
and why waste so much of it commuting

as for expensive hotels
ive found that priceline is a great way to get cheap rooms-- ive stayed at 4 star hotels for 105 dollars using priceline in NYC

it doesnt work for cities like SF
but for some reason priceline works every time i return to the big apple
goodluck and enjoy

it is the only way to go
re ny hotels

Old Dec 24th, 2000, 04:05 PM
nick

I thought this was a joke question? Then I read others replys. If I were able to visit NYC every weekend for the rest of my life I would. Let me suggest you put the museums on hold and take the first boat out to the Lady. Climb all the way to the crown and come down again. Then, so importantly, read some of the letters on display of those who came to this city and country and passed through Ellis island. Then sail back to Fort Clinton and discover the neighborhoods of the most amazing city in the world. Nick in coastal calif.

Old Dec 25th, 2000, 06:04 AM
Esme

YES - I may even get back on a plane and do the hated 71/2 hour flight again just to visit New York. We loved it - the museums and all!!!

Old Dec 26th, 2000, 11:57 AM
Patrick

10 years ago, I would have said skip it - too dirty, too crime-ridden, etc. But NYC is experience a tremendous boom, and it is a great place to visit. I suggest staying at a hotel AWAY from the tourist areas such as Times Sq - if you stay near Wall Street or the World Trade Center, you can get nice hotel rooms for less than $150/night, and it's still safe and accessible to the subway (which is now a great, safe way to get around town).