Is Maui wknd before T'giving Practical?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2021, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be in SanDiego from early November till first of December; son has business connections for free condo in Lahaina from 11/19. He is strongly suggesting we go Fri 11/19 on early morning N/S flight arrv 11:30 local, pick up car, stock up at Costco, hit condo by early aftn, explore K Beach that aftn. So then have Sat, Sun, Mon to see Hana Road, and the Nat'l Park before our return flight at Noon Tues 11/23. We have the CLEAR-Pass-Exception for Hawaiian Airlines and for island. BUT is this as we expect to be a VERY busy week with restaurants already reserved through December as we have read? Stores depleted from groceries? Road to Hana at horrible pace even taking longer southerly "reverse" route? Is latter November likely to be rainy?? Governor is saying "stay out of HI thru end of October" -- likely to change or extend? I am anxious about "what ifs" and have an alternate CA road trip planned to Big Sur via Pismo/Lompoc/ Santa Barb instead, leaving this trip for "next time" -- Hawaii residents grateful for any and all responses pls!! Just read prior post about driving route for Maui. Been to Kauai and Big Island but not yet Maui. The condo will remain a possibility in next few years we presume. THANKS!!
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 03:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't answer your questions about crowds, etc., on that weekend.

I can't get past flying 5.5 hours each way plus security clearance, plus car rental and return time, etc., for 3 days that might/might not be crowded, might/might not be rainy, plus other Covid-related uncertainties that are ever-changing. But that's me. Other people are apparently unphased.
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 08:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would usually be in Hawaii in November but not last year and not this year. Too much hassle with the Covid Pandemic still not being under control at this time.

You can read more details on the Trip Advisor forum for Maui. But things are far from normal. Plus for me no way would I go for basically a long weekend. Too short! And yes it might rain. And yes things are limited, closed, hard/impossible to get reservations for, etc. Yes I believe the "please don't come" may well be extended.

The Lahaina condo sounds great but I would wait another year. And try to go for at least a week.

aloha, suze
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 11:43 AM

I agree with going for at least a week, it takes me 5-6 days just to get on "island time". I've been that time of year, staying in a condo in Honokawai and you do sometimes get a shower here and there but it usually doesn't last long.
Is the condo actually in Lahaina, or just has a Lahaina postal code and is actually someplace north of there like Kahana, Napili or others? Cause I do not care much for the beach in Lahaina proper although I guess you can drive to the beach, that's what we did since our condo did not have a proper beach, just drove north each day to Kapalua.
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 02:09 PM

If the condo happens to be at Lahaina Shores... I've stayed there once
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 07:54 AM

I have a friend who lives on Maui, from everything she is telling me I wouldn't go. Personally I'm going to wait until next year and see how things are.
My friend says she has never seen so many tourists in all her years of living there (since 1986), this is putting a lot of stress on locals, on their resources, the hospital is apparently stretched, just not a great idea right now unfortunately .
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Ok, condo is available (private owner) for week after T'giving. Much better as all those from west coast must get back for work/school. Decided. Now will try to get resv at Mama's! So far, no luck! Thanks for your advice.
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 09:17 AM

So you're going for a week instead of only 3 days?

Do read up about the situation on Maui over on the Trip Advisor forums. It might help avoid some unpleasant surprises.
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Suze, flying out Sunday, returning Friday - four days there without travel should do the trick according to our friends who've been there. Will check Trip Advisor, thanks, though no longer consult that source as in years past-
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 02:27 PM

Only saying the TA Hawaii forums have a lot more participation then here on Fodor's. But sounds like you have your plans already in order.
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 02:32 PM

The time frame after Thanksgiving until mid December is slower. However in that time frame, I found that Sunday-Monday cars may not be available (at least in Kauai). If you need one, start looking for a rental now (refundable, of course).

Here is the info on Digital Health Passes. Quarantine not required at present.
https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/

Also if you like to hike or visit some of the parks or wildlife reserves, be sure to check open hours and the need for reservations. One of the sites I was planning to visit is only open Friday-Sunday for example. Also there are a lot of roadworks that factor into travel times.

I normally ignore TripAdvisor, it tends to be cliquey and posters especially the DE's are often residents, owners or frequent visitors (hence rarely objective.) If it's not a forum you don't visit every day, it's hard to know who to trust.

Have not looked there yet for this trip.

Last edited by mlgb; Sep 20th, 2021 at 02:37 PM.
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Suze, went through 25 pages of TA forum re Maui, no timely comments/advice but thanks - mlgb, we have the CLEARPass which include Hawaii exception on airlines and also upon arrival, thanks. We got it not for Hawaii, but mainly to use back here for events, NYC, etc. The owner of the condo lives in Carlsbad CA (where our son is) and he will give us first-hand advice, as his business in in Hawaii. We'll be there a few weeks so will already be 3-hours-behind time-assimilated. Not concerned about closures, T'giving thru New Years is a BIG tourist season for them, thinking the Governor shall remain quiet. We will not take the counter-clockwise around south to Hana for sure. Always grateful for restaurant recommendations though -- currently working on Mama's and Merrimans (sp?) but keep missing right hours to call! We are not hikers, but merely senior walkers (who dont need walkers, but do have retracting hiking poles from Switz which we'll bring)! Regards all.....
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 09:24 PM

Interesting comment about TA. Sorry you found nothing helpful there. I see new posts on the Maui forum daily. There's a few people writing trip reports who are there right now. Not sure what could be more "timely"?
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Suze, thanks for your latest reply -- dunno what I had opened up on TA, but just now typed "Maui forum" and was immediately directly to current forum discussions! Duh! We're set to go regardless, and will be attempting restaurant resv this wknd -- the 6 hour time difference is a challenge from here on east coast! Sun-Fri is just right, we'll have been in CA for couple weeks beforehand and after. Husband is deciding on rental cars. Guess my next question is: does that Costco near airport sell wine? Now THIS is important -- LOL
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by aliced
Guess my next question is: does that Costco near airport sell wine? Now THIS is important -- LOL
Yes.
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 09:33 AM

I could tell from what you said that you were just in the wrong place.
Sorry should have thought to give you the link:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForu...ui_Hawaii.html
Lots of people are doing take-out and picnics because of the restaurant situation.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by aliced
Suze, thanks for your latest reply -- dunno what I had opened up on TA, but just now typed "Maui forum" and was immediately directly to current forum discussions! Duh! We're set to go regardless, and will be attempting restaurant resv this wknd -- the 6 hour time difference is a challenge from here on east coast! Sun-Fri is just right, we'll have been in CA for couple weeks beforehand and after. Husband is deciding on rental cars. Guess my next question is: does that Costco near airport sell wine? Now THIS is important -- LOL
Yes that Costco sells wine and every other kind of alcohol, lots of selection!