Reload this Page >

Need a golf/spa wknd in the sun

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 1999, 04:22 PM
marian

In preparation for another soggy winter in Seattle, I'd like to plan a long weekend in the January timeframe somewhere warm and not more than a 2+hour plane trip from Seattle (Hawaii's too far). Any recommendations or ideas for golf/spa type vacations in Palm Springs or Arizona? I've never been to either so don't know which areas are better or where to stay, although have heard that there are some great resorts in both areas.

Old Nov 1st, 1999, 06:26 PM
carm

Weather-wise PS and PHX are very similar, Tucson is alonger flight and a bit cooler. If you tell us what else you enjoy, it'll be easier to separate PS, coastal California, PHX, LV to fot your tastes. Big city vs. quiet atmosphere, big resort with lots of amenities vs. secluded and smaller, shopping nearby vs. not important, high end restaurants vs. not too important, etc....

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 09:29 AM
John

You might consider the Temecula area of California. It's southwest of Palm Springs along Highway 15. Many resorts and golf courses have sprung up along this corridor. They also have an active wine region (you may have heard of Callaway wines), so you can do some tasting and touring also.

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 09:34 AM
AncientMariner

Check out the Camelback Inn in Scottsdale. I haven't been but I've heard it is really nice.

www.camelbackinn.com

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 09:50 AM
Sharon

one of my best vacations ever was at the Marriott Desert Springs resort. Great golf course and a lovely spa with all the services. try:http://marriotthotels.com/CTDCA/
They generally have packages. Camelback is also wonderful and luxurious. Both have plans including golf and spa services, just ask at Marriott. You might also try the Marriott timeshares at Desert springs: they have good rates if you sit through the sales pitch. If you long for this sort of break every year, you might at least look into this. We own a timeshare in Orlando and love it. I have stayed at both of the above resorts but not this year. Sharon

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 10:21 AM
sharon

If you are one of those softy (MSFT) people with beaucoup cash, try the Phoenician in Scottsdale. Way more expensive and luxurious than Marriott. I haven't stayed there personally, only drooled over the facilities. Do spafinders to check out some of the recs. http://208.226.13.105/scripts/locatmo.cfm?spa_ID=64

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 10:22 AM
gary

In Phoenix area the best golf resorts are Boulders (Carefree), Princess, Hyatt Gainey Ranch, Phoenician, Biltmore, Camelback, Wigwam (Litchfield). The Pointe Resorts are a half notch down the ladder. They vary greatly in atmosphere, cost, and such. The Boulders is the most exclusive, the farthest away, the most expensive, and the highest rated. Wigwam is a bit of a drive. Weather in Jan. is usually sunny, but a little brisk many days (if you're used to the heat). Golfing is no problem, of course, but many days in the high 50's or low 60's with a breeze. Still with a few days in low 70's now and then. Nights are cool.