Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is it worth the hassle of traveling this Thanksgiving?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 05:32 AM
Carmen

I have not traveled since 9/11/01 but the family wants us to fly to Chicago from LA for Thanksgiving. I wonder if it is worth it this year? Everyone I talk to who has flown tell me the lines to check in and for security are impossible and are expected to be just TERRIBLE at Thanksgiving. We are planning the typical Wed (day before Thansgiving) to Sunday trip.

I understand that the security companies are under extreme pressure to make sure that everyone is searched now that a few people with knives, mace and other things have slipped through. They are talking about lines as long as 5-6 hours at Thanksgiving.

What do you think, will it be that bad and is it worth the trouble?

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 05:53 AM
Jill

Carmen,
I just flew last month round trip, Cincinnati to Portland, Oregon. I had no problems at all, and only needed to be at either airport one and one half hour prior to my flight - I did not have to rush at all. I would think that this Thanksgiving lines might be shorter than typical years past.

However, my friend lives in San Diego, and she says LAX has been bad. Why not fly from Midway to San Diego and spare yourself the bigger airports? Also, check everything - don't mess with a carry on. That's how I did it, and it went so smoothly.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 06:27 AM
Harry

It is going to be terrible at Thaksgiving, especially on Wednesday. The political pressure to tighten up security checkpoints will make the screeners spend a significant amount of time with each person. With increased crowds, comes increased lines.

Unless you really miss the family in Chicago, stay in LA.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 07:56 AM
Leone

Oh, this is such a tired discussion ... real voodoo stuff ... repeating countless other such discussions. Lets break through to some new attitudes. For goodness sake, take a chance and fly ... why stop living? Safety is improving ... yes, it takes more time ... yes, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving has always been bad, always with long lines. If you're looking for an excuse to stay at home, stay. But stop agonizing on a travel website ... we are busy trying to resume our travels ... we do not need to hear this stuff. Go wring your hands somewhere else. I do not mean to be rude, but you are adding to the burden. It's time for you to rethink. Ciao

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 08:26 AM
Stella

Okay, here's a new attitude. Fly on Thanksgiving Day and fly back out on the following Monday instead of Sunday. I flew on Thanksgiving Day a couple of years ago. It was one of best flights I ever had. Peaceful, not very crowded. I believe Thanksgiving Day is typically the slowest travel day of the year. I would imagine that would hold true for this year as well.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 08:38 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I have flown a few time since Sept 11 and it's been nothing but a pleasure. I have never waited in line, all flights have been on time and the concourses are much more comfortable since only ticketed passengers are allowed past security.

The key is to NOT check anything and bring a copy of your e-ticket itinerary and receipt so you can completely avoid the check-in lines. By all means, comply with the new carry-on rules, but pack lighter so you can breeze through security and get your boarding pass at the gate.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 10:26 AM
seamus

How did your wife identify a sky marshall? Do they wear uniforms? I guess I haven't seen one yet.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 10:49 AM
Cali

We have flown out of both LAX and ONTario, Ca. recently and ONT is very easy. ONT is in the LA Area and a very easy airport to use. I would fly from there whenever I could.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 11:33 AM
Practical

Stop looking at it from strictly a travel standpoint. Do you like the people with whom you'll be spending Thanksgiving? If the answer is yes, then yes, travel there and have a great time. If the answer is no, you'll never have a better opportunity to get out of it, so use it because it may never be this easy again.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 11:34 AM
L

Anything out of National has a marshall onboard, of course ... os she was expecting to see one. This one was a rather burly guy in a leather coat standing next to the attendants as folks boarded ... and he was specifically invited to take his seat after all others were seated. He sat in the rear row of first class. Ciao

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 12:02 PM
Tom

Stella is right, Thanksgiving Day is really slow.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Jill

Family is the most important thing in this world. Personally, a little inconvenience is a small price to pay to see my family.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 12:40 PM
x

Yes, Practical does have a good point.
There is no such thing as a hassle if you know the payoff will be good. But what about us poor souls whose relatives live less than 50 miles away? We HAVE TO go. There's no way out.