Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to take Amtrak for the "experience"?

Old Nov 13th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may visit my daughter in Chicago. Then instead of the both of us flying back to Baltimore, I was thinking it would be fun to take Amtrak. I'd get a "roomette" for the 23 hr. ride. Anyone ever done this? What is Amtrak like? Food? Clean sheets? Service with a smile?
Thanks.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 07:31 PM
pat

Trains are often late, so if you don`t have extra time, don`t do it.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 07:31 PM

Hi zztopz,

I'd recommend taking the Capitol Limited to DC... I've done that ride twice: 18 hours, a pretty ride (Allegheny River, Harper's Ferry, western Maryland quite lovely) and then switch to take the very regular regional trains or even MARC from DC to B'more.

Sheets were clean, your meals are included in the price if you get a sleeper car, attendants can be quite friendly. Talk with people in the dining car. Trains might be on-time BUT can be a few hours late, so prepare yourself mentally for that, so that you won't be angry when the delay arrives. I say, go for it, try it once, see if you like it. Some people don't; for me, it's my favourite way to travel!

Best wishes,

Daniel
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 05:33 AM

There is a really great Amtrak forum in case anybody is interested -- these guys know everything about trains!

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 05:49 AM

I've never done that route, but I really love train travel.

If you book a roomette, your meals in the dining car are free. Dining car service can be spotty but I think the food is pretty good...better than I had imagined. Sleeping-car attendants are usually great, very friendly etc.

Sheets are clean, no worries there. Bathrooms can get grody after a while, but your trip isn't super long and the sleeping-car bathrooms won't get as much traffic as the coach bathrooms.

Please keep in mind that these trains are almost never on time, for various reasons (freight-train interference is a common cause of delays). If you are on a tight schedule, DO NOT assume the train will get you where you need to be when you need to be there.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 08:47 AM

My experience (thankfully) with Amtrak outside the NE corridor is limited. But I have yet to see any food that is more than edible- and some that isn;t even that. Suggest you bring your own with you.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 08:57 AM

A couple years ago, we went round-trip in a roomette between Seattle and Chicago from which I learned that I never want to travel over night on Amtrak again.

The food in the dining room was o.k., the sheets were clean, the mattress was VERY thin, the train rocked back and forth, the delays were long, and room service was non-existent.

My suggestion: Some people like Amtrak, and the only way to find out if it is "fun" for you is to give it a go.

Old Nov 14th, 2008, 09:23 AM

NYtraveler -- Did you eat in the dining car or in the "lounge"?

The food in the lounge is disgusting, but the dining car food isn't bad.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 09:41 AM

happytrails, don't blame Amtrak for the roadbed...it belongs to the freight lines and they are the ones who beat it up.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 10:06 AM

Bob, I don't blame Amtrak for the roadbeds or the delays caused by priority given to freight trains, but they are both part of the Artrak experience on the Seattle-Chigago route. HTTY
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 10:38 AM

I love Amtrak! I would totally recommend that you do this for the "experience" at least once - and then you'll know if train travel is for you. I have always found that people are much friendlier on trains than elsewhere, I've met some great friends that way. The food in the dining car is pretty good (this is NOT the same food as in the lounge, which is generally pretty bad). And the route you're talking about can be quite nice.

But I do agree, don't take it if it matters what time you get home. Delays of 3 or 4 hours are quite common!
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 11:44 AM

I absolutely think that Amtrak is worth the "experience". Have done both eastward and westward bound trains out of Chicago and they are great. The eastern ones are only single decker because of the low bridges they have to deal with, but still very nice and relaxing (I think). Yes, they tend to run late, but as long as you take that into account and don't fret about it it can be agreat way to go. The Capitol Limited train is very nice - I took it once to a conference in DC. The beds are clean and the food is quite good. Enjoy!
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 12:55 PM

The dining car. And the food was awful. If it were a restaurant we would have returned it and left - but had no choice - so managed to swallow some of it. Luckily it ws only one dinner - or we would have starved.

And although we like good food and eating out - we're not tremendously pciky eaters - as long as whatever it is is fresh and well-prepared.

This was just awful - similar to airline food - in coach.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 01:04 PM

Interesting, NYtraveler.

We were expecting the dining-car food to be mediocre to bad, closer to your experience, but were pleasantly surprised. Fresh eggs (not Egg Beaters) for breakfast, non-fishy fish for dinner. Significantly better than airline food.

I guess the quality varies. Maybe the California Zephyr has better food? Would be interested to hear from others re: dining-car food on other Amtrak lines.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 01:19 PM

My husband and I have taken the train two times just for the fun of it...and loved it, flaws and all. The trains do tend to run late, once was by several hours and as the trip went on they continued to lose time (that was June, 2004 LA to San Antonio). We had a small sleeper and it was small! But, we loved having our own little space..just down from the dining car...we thought the food was fine, not Spago's but still good...and looking out at the world as you ate and the interesting people we met...loved it. We would love to do another train ride again..just never enought time to do everything!
I say go for it when you have the chance!
Shadow
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 01:25 PM
kja

Hi, zztopz -

I enjoy trains in general and was glad to have taken this particular route once. I prefer taking the train from DC to Chicago than the reverse - at least when I've gone, I've had great scenery in the mountains before sunset when heading west, but have been less fortunate with scenery coming east. But as others have noted, trains can be substantially delayed and in any case, that would depend on the season.

Hope that helps!
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 01:40 PM

I didn't like traveling via Amtrak, but the food on the Empire Builder two years ago was much better than I anticipated. It's not up to the standard of the 1950s--far from it--but it was not to be sneered at.

Old Nov 14th, 2008, 03:06 PM
pat

Last time we were going to go on Amtrak, it was the run from Chicago through Reno(where we were boarding) and on to Oakland. The train hit a cow somewhere along the line, and I can`t rememeber how many hours late it made the train, but we gave up and drove. My daughter went on Amtrak across country, and had many bad episodes. The police were at the station in Sacramento, to arrest some rowdy people. Later, a lot of the people on the train came down with a virus, probably the noro virus. She didn`t like the food much, and the service even less. She finally found out where the linen and towels were and started helping herself. They got off the train in Florida, hours late and with no dinner. Amtrak lost one of her bags. When she tried to find out what was going on, she was told to call Amtrak. Amtrak just hung up the phone. They stayed at a hotel in Florida, and the day they checked out, she saw her bag, sitting in the lobby. Not one word from Amtrak about it. But the scenery can be beautiful, especially through the Sierras. A lot of foreigners were on the train, which made it more interesting. I would try it and find out for yourself. You could be lucky and have no problems, especially if you don`t have to change trains.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 04:17 PM

You should do it zztopz. What the heck, travel should be fun and adventurous. Even if the food is terrible, you're not going to starve in 23 hours. Have a roll or bread and butter. Unless you are on a very strict schedule, the worst thing that will happen is that you've wasted a day (and night) of your life. You may love it.

I often like things that other people think are unacceptable. But I believe that you never know until you try.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 07:51 PM

Yeah, just do it, I say. If you don't like it, you don't like it. If you love it, then great!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -