Is it worth going to the River Cafe???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone been at the River Cafe recently? Do you recommend it for a special occasion or do you recommend going elsewhere? Thanks.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 11:03 AM

Are we to assume this particular one is in New York City? Since this post comes up on the entire US board (posting state by state only helps to search for a topic) we have no way of knowing where you are talking about. I'd venture to guess there are at least a dozen or more River Cafes across the US.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I am referring to the River Cafe in New York City. Sorry for leaving that out.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 11:12 AM

It also comes up if you choose NY.

I haven't been recently, kab, but even if I had, whether it's worth it to me may not affect whether it's good for you. Tell us more, like when you'd be going (this time of year is filled to overflowing), day of week and whether you've considered alternatives. I can tell you it's one of the few places that does in fact combine a fab view with very good food.

I've read that the World Yacht cruises have hired a new executive chef and that would also be an option in my mind. Don't know how the prices would compare.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 11:14 AM

Have not been in about 6 months - but the food was still fine and the views fantastic. If you want a view this is my favorite place, but obviously there are a lot of other great places in the city - depends on exactly what you're looking for in terms of cuisine, budget, other specifics.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

I would be going in the spring for my anniversary. I am looking for a memorable experience and would love a great view of NY. I have considered taking a dinner cruise but think we would enjoy a restaurant more.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 05:18 PM

Would not reco a dinner cruise. the food on those boats is mediocre at best - not something one would do voluntarily (as opposed to being invited to an event).
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 05:29 PM

Our children recently gave us a gift certificate to the River Cafe for our 25th anniversary. We plan on going sometime over the winter and I will report back with details but according to my son, who is big into researching everything before making a purchase, tells me this is the place to go not only for the incredible views, but for the sensational food. We'll see
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 06:16 PM

I love the river cafe.The food is very good,view is wonderful.Go early and have adrink at the bar while having a
great view of the statue of libert.Although the restaurant is in Brooklyn and gets alot of tourists,I thought it was a great NY experience with a great Buz.