Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is it safe to drive through El Paso to San Diego?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family is taking a vacation this July to California (from Dallas, TX) but I heard that the southern route from Texas (I 10 and I 20) runs very close to Ciudad Juarez where I've seen some scary travel advisories. We are not planning on staying in El Paso or going to Mexico so would it be safe to drive the more southern route through El Paso?
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 01:25 PM

Yes, San Diego is as close to Tijuana as El Paso is to Juarez.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 03:07 PM

Sure, no problems with taking the freeway.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 03:26 PM

You'll be fine.

Lee Ann
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate the inputs. Is there anyone who lives in San Diego (near Tijuana) or El Paso (near Juarez) or who lives in those cities that could give me an opinion. All that I can go on at this point are the travel advisories and news reports concerning the heightened levels of drug gang violence. Note: We're just driving through El Paso via the interstate highway but will be staying a few days in San Diego. We are excited about the trip.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 08:21 PM

I've lived in both areas, your paranoia about both places suggests you might be best to stay home.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 07:43 PM

Now, RB.

ge- I think you'll be fine if you are traveling through El Paso on the interstate. And San Diego, too. Even thought they are close to the border, they are not that close- and you are still in the US.

Take your normal precautions. (Keep doors locked and don't pick up any hitchhikers.)

You'll have a great time!
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 07:50 PM

Most who are posting live in the San Diego area, and the major freeway I believe you will be traveling on (Interstate 8) is perfectly safe driving into San Diego from Arizona.

It is only dangerous if you cross the boarder and drive into TJ which you obviously won't. I drive on Interstate 8 everyday (directly north of TJ) and there is absolutely nothing to be concerned about (unless a CHP catches you speeding ... be careful)
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 03:03 PM

I don't live in SD, but have been there many times and would hop in the car and go now if I could - no worries about safety other than the normal, everyday stuff. My company just scheduled an off-site meeting in SD next month which I will unfortunately not be able to attend and last month there was a large conference there for my field - that industry conference can be held anywhere because there are attendees from all over the world, but this year, SD was chosen. If there were serious concerns about safety, these events would be held elsewhere.
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 06:41 PM

Like everyone already said, you'll be fine. It's not like I-10 through El Paso is lined with drug cartel guys armed with AK-47s, just waiting for unsuspecting tourists...

Lee Ann
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 09:02 PM

You are asking for about the 4th and 5th SAFEST cities in the US for 2009:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/lis...tml?state=play

El Paso had consistently been listed in the top 5 for years, so has San Diego.

Enjoy your trip! Stop off in Las Cruces for the night if you don't want to stay in El Paso, dine in old Mesilla and pick up some green and red chili.

Just be sure to have your car in good working order when going through the desert areas and carry lots of water.

Nicest people in the world - the West Texans. you should enjoy meeting them!

I'm going to be in San Diego next month and never ever thought of it's proximity to Tijuana. SD has so much other, more positive things to offer.