Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is it a good idea to fly from Boston to LAX for a stopover and then fly Hawaiian Air to Maui.

Search

Is it a good idea to fly from Boston to LAX for a stopover and then fly Hawaiian Air to Maui.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 09:53 AM
Lisa

I heard that Hawaiian Air is the best low cost get in the mood way to go to Maui. The stop over would give time to adjust and I could visit friends in LA. Or, I could fly a major carrier to Maui. Any comments or suggestions?

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 11:15 AM
Aloha

Your idea sounds perfect. It's always wise to stop for the night in L.A. or CA somewhere . . . Have fun in Hawaii. Which I was going soon . . .

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 12:22 PM
Lisa

Thanks Aloha,
Have you ever been on Hawaiian Air for a long flight. I trust they have large planes and a good operation.
Lisa

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 12:35 PM
John

We flew from Boston to the Big Island last December. We made connections in LAX. Going out, with a 2 hr connection, it was a long day. Got in around 9pm Hawaii time. Went to bed and were fine the next day.
Coming back, did the overnight from Hawaii to LAX, then early morning flight into Boston arriving in late afternoon (Eastern Time).
It was worse coming back but we built in a day to "recover". Going out wasn't too difficult. It helped to break the trip by walking around etc in LAX.
It's a 6 hr trip to the West coast and 5 hrs from West coast to Hawaii.
A break in the trip certainly helps but if you don't have the time, at least a connection on West coast that allows some leg stretching time is helpful.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 12:42 PM
Cissy

Lisa: I vote for the stopover in LA if you can afford the time. We did it and were very glad we did. Still a long trip, but we needed the night in LA before traveling on.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 01:55 PM
Katherine

I have done the stop over in LA. It is awkward to get back on the plane again but it is fun to stay over. The shuttle from my hotel was excellent. Also if you are flying Hawaiian airlines you will be put in the aloha spirit the minute you are seated. The only other suggestion I would make is taking a non-stop out of Newark airport (continental). This is a 10 flight going and an 9 hour return. …. PS If you stick with Hawaiian, pay attention to the contemporary musicians you hear boarding and exiting they are usually Hawaiian award winners and great. But I also heard them on Continental Last year. Aloha now I am in the mood I leave 12 days when do you go?

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 04:46 PM
Suzy

You would be much better off doing the stopover on the return trip. The trip back is much harder than the trip over for several reasons.
1. on the way you're heading for vacation on the way back you're probably heading back to work.
2. Flying from west to east is harder on the body than flying east to west.
3. Most flights back from Hawaii are "red eye" flights and unless you're able to sleep on the plane you'll me exhausted after staying up all day and then being awake all night on the return trip.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 05:33 PM
goodlife

I sure hope my kids can sleep on the plane! Our flight leaves HNL at 10:55 pm....arrives at SFO at 6:44 in the morning....then we have another 4-5 flight to get home. And my kids start school the very next day!!! I really hope the plane is rather empty so they can kind of spread out.
We live in 8 days!!!

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 05:04 AM
Lisa

Thanks for the tips. I are going in January with some people from church.
I have a brother in LA. He lives near LAX as he had traveled for work. He might like to visit. He has small motels near his home that might be fun unless someone suggests a good airport hotel. Katherine you seem to have liked your hotel near LAX. Thanks for all the help. Aloha,Lisa

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 05:20 AM
Katherine

I was at the Sheraton and the rates were ok. I think I spent 60-70 also in January.

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 09:39 AM
Lisa

Suzy,
Thanks. I have never dont this trip and your ideas make sense. Do you all think It would be best to see Kauai for a few day and fly out of Kauai to LAX.
Lisa