is Hawaii just a rock...

Search

is Hawaii just a rock...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is Hawaii just a rock...

...in the middle of the ocean? Is all there is to Hawaii just beaches, mountains, volcanoes? It appears to be sparsely populated. I've looked at hundreds of photos of Hawaii on google, flickr, etc. What I am seeing is beaches, surfing, partying, that's it.
Some examples of native culture here and there, but mostly seems to be a tourist trap.
It's what is referred as "gentrification"; a place where all the people are mostly the same.

Hawaii looks like a resort where not much happens. People might want to go there to get away from metropolises such as LA, NYC, Chicago, Miami, etc. But how much of it could you really stand? Would it get tiresome after 5 days?
Those in Montana, Omaha, Wyoming, might get a thrill out of riding in a NYC subway for an hour. Going to da hood to check out dope dealers, "daddys", homeless, aint for everyone.
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 07:59 PM

Long ago during our 27 years of marriage, my wife and I got tired of calling trips a "second" honeymoon, as it was obvious we had been on more than just two romantic vacations. Instead, we decided to actually count the number of trips that would have been just like honeymoons. Our total is now up to 55. In other words, we know something about romantic trips.

If anybody would ask us what we considered the most romantic place we've ever been to, Hawaii would unequivocally be at the top of our list: higher than Rome, Paris, Barcelona, Florida, Alaska, New York, etc, etc, etc.

And I should mention that, for us, sitting on a beach is about the LEAST romantic thing either of us could think. We have also have NO interest in party spots.

There's no question but that, in Hawaii, you can find beaches, tourist traps, and parties if that's all you look for. But there's also so much more: perfect weather, floral beauty, volcanic geology, ethnic diversity, unique culture, history, food, shopping, scenery, etc, etc, etc.

But above all that is the "aloha" spirit of the people. Hawaii is one place where you feel as if the people WELCOME you to where their home.

> Would it get tiresome after 5 days?

We spent two weeks there, in a pace that was basically, "if it's Tuesday, this must be Maui." In other words, we could have done slowed down and seen a LOT less in those two weeks. Did we feel as if we had done it all as we were leaving? NO!!! We were literally IN TEARS because we wanted to see and do even more!!
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 08:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the name of that little cafe right next to the metro that has that wonderful onion soup?
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 08:50 PM

Is this a statement or a question? I can't tell. For you, I suggest skipping the rock. Nothing there but geology.
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 09:07 PM

Yes, it is a very sparsely populated island in the middle of the ocean. We all live in graass shacks, and spend our days dancing, fishing and singing songs. And we all look exactly the same, except for the tourists who are a different color than us.

sheesh.

Hawaii has eight main islands. Oahu has nearly 900,000 people living on it. We have the most diverse group of races and ethnic groups of probably any state. Gentrification? Life here is like anywhere else. Costco, Charles Schwab, ING, Starbucks, and every chain store known to man have very, very successful outlets here.There are thousands of places to eat and party, and severeal state and private universities.
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 10:19 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Yes. Hawaii is just a rock in the middle of the ocean.
Stay away!
You would DEFINITELY get bored after 5 days.
So, so right.
<sigh of relief that you won't have to endure the boredom of a tourist trap>
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 05:32 AM

This is clearly a troll planting a post designed to stir up the pro Hawaii readers... what he/she doesn't know is that we can send them through the time space portal to the LOST island in the chain and have them swallowed up by the Black monster... have fun!
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

"We all live in graass shacks, and spend our days dancing, fishing and singing songs."
Well, that's what I thought. You forgot to mention you have a genetic predisposition to light sticks on fire and twirl them like cheerleaders.
Much as Parisians spend their days sipping mocha in coffee shops while wearing berets, women in Milan, St.Tropez and Ibiza walk around topless all over, Italians make love on the streets, Russians drink vodka all day long, Spanish think it's a hoot to let bulls run around the streets. Scottish men wear mini-skirts, the Irish are all leprechauns looking for their pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 08:39 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
You are indeed a world traveler.
It's good that you are skipping Hawaii. Who needs to spend time on a rock way out there in the big ole ocean?
Happy travels to a better destination!
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 10:35 AM

Since I wasted my time opening this thread, I'm going to post to let you know that I stopped by. ech.
*going back to my shack on the beach*
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 03:20 PM

Topless all over?

P.S. I love Hawaii, lived there for a year, have made six more trips, and have never had enough of it.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 03:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The good people of Hawaii will be very grateful you decided not to visit. They don't need any more haole tourists with a bad attitude, they got enough of those already.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 05:47 PM

Amen Suze.....
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 03:07 PM

I suspect the OP is a troll, but perhaps he/she really would like to know what there is to do there. I detect a bit of anti-resort bias, with which I would agree. You need to get away from the mega-resorts and live like a local to see Hawaii as it should be seen. Rent an apartment and shop locally. Go snorkeling, not just sitting on the beach. Drive around the island and see the different climate zones. On the Big Island, go to the volcano and see the huge vent pouring steam into the air (has been for 3 years without stopping), look in awe at the enormous fields of lava that cover everything in its track. Go up to the high mountains and see the sunset or sunrise. Etc.
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 03:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Perhaps, but I really can't take a post seriously that says "Hawaii looks like a resort..."

Which island are you talking about? All of them? Really? And how have you seen it, when you say "looks", in a resort ads or travel agent brochure?

First off there really aren't even that many mega-resorts there, nothing like you find in many other places in the world (Mexico, Caribbean for example. There is FAR more empty unpopulated space, than populated (read the statistics). The tourist centers are relatively small areas compared to the total acreage of all the different islands put together.

If the poster really wants serious answers, why not just ask the question... "What is there to do in Hawaii?" instead of loading it up with so much negativity.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 07:25 PM

In the vernacular of too many sportscasters these days, POMAH, "Are you kidding me??"

P.S. You missed April Fools Day by a couple weeks.....
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 07:28 AM

Hmm, all this focus on what there is to DO! I guess it's a young person's question--I remember being eager to DO. No more. Now, Hawai'i is a place to BE, to relax in a near perfect environment, to take stock, to enjoy, and, if you're genuine, to wallow the aloha of those who welcome you. When I stopped going to Hawai'i to DO, it opened like a flower for me. Now it's like going home...
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 12:56 PM

mumps, I know you are a fan of Kona Village, so enough said. But we are not. We stay in an condo in Kona and shop for food at local stores and farmers' markets, and cook about half our meals. We go to different beaches that are good for different activities. We never tire of going to the volcano and to Hilo and Hawi and other places. And we are in our 70s.