Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is everyone else in the midwest as freezing as me, and ready for a getaway?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2005, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has been so cold here (Michigan), I am finally unburrying us from the blizzard. After all that, I am ready for a warm locale. Any other midwesterners care to comment?
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 05:59 AM

Definitely. But I'm patient. I've got our family scheduled for a massive blowout (massive for us) next summer. What helps right now is a day with sunshine instead of the leaden grey skies so common this time of year.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Exactly, somedays, even when it is cold, I open my front door (with the glass) when the sun is shining...like today.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 06:06 AM

Wore my Lands' End stadium coat (mid-shin length) again today, but the sun shining and we're one day closer to spring. (Also, leaving for Tucson on Feb. 5.)
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Looking forward to a warm destination always helps ones mood.

Even in this cold weather, I bundle up my 6 month old and we go for walks (unless it is really cold). We only go out for aobut 10 minutes or so, but it helps both of us. He loves to be outdoors.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 06:15 AM

Freezing here in NY too! We have our early April trip booked already. We do not like going away to warmer climates during the deep freeze months. I find it way too depressing to come home after time in bathing suits and bare feet, we don't want to come home-and we do not feel any better from it. There is nothing more depressing than flying home from the caribbean and watching the water turn from turquoise blue to grey and feeling your tanned skin shrink and tighten from the cold the minute you step off the plane. 10 days in summer during the winter just does ot cut it for us. When it's cold we go to cold weather locations and look forward to our first blast of hot weather late winter/early spring when the warmer weather is not too far away.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 06:31 AM

Here (Chicago) it's been sunny at least the last few days-yesterday and today were freezing but Wednesday was nice. I'm definately ready to get out of Dodge for awhile. I was just telling my husband last night I can see why people become "snow birds"!
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 07:04 AM
KMK

I love winter! My only winter getaway is to get MORE winter - got a great 2 week ski trip planned for March.

I used to hate winter, but I figured if I was going to live in a climate with winter, I should learn to embrace it. Took up skiing (downhill & cross-country) & never looked back. After work these days, I teach skiing at our local northeast Ohio ice hill. It's a blast & it keeps me fit and happy. For me, Ohio winter is no longer even cold or snowy enough, but the past couple of weeks it's been pretty good. Can't believe the whiners on our local news stations - they keep calling 26 degrees bitterly cold and hoping for warm spells. It's northeast Ohio, people, deal with it, don't make yourself miserable wishing it could be something it's not.

If you want endless summer, MOVE, I say!
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 07:11 AM

From another Chicago area guy:

I'm with KMK. I have a bigger interest in getting out of town that out of winter. I spend significant time in Wisconsin no matter what time of year.

This morning / last night the temps dipped and I got up to 2 inches of powder this AM. Right now the sun is bright and the temp is low 20's going to single digits tonight. It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood!
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 07:43 AM
JJ5

Me three as KMK and placeu2 above. I actually go to Michigan several times each winter to skate etc., while men ice fish. Best guy also takes at least 2 or 3 trips to Colorado to ski in blizzards etc. as he is retired. Winter has its own special good times, and in every home I've had I always have one big SOUTH facing window into a large room. That gives me SUN. Reflection off of snow works except for the particularly dreary and grey days that we do have. But this week that room has been brillant and very sunny in the daytime hours. You can picnic with blanket on the floor and become too hot. Grandkids love it. I don't have anything but shade and scarves on these windows and let the sunshine come right in an entire wall. It works so well that the windows' glass/vaccuum needed to be replaced once already.

Snow birds, I can see the appeal as bones get to hurt etc. as you age. But definitely not me. This year (first time) I will be in Caribbean for 10 days soon. But I do not crave summer heat or beaches, find them uncomfortable for the most part after an hour. I love to swim/snorkle, but am not a beach sitter. And I have never felt bad after coming home from a warm place in winter (I had to go to AZ frequently for a sick aunt).

The only thing that bothers me about winter is driving to work in ice/snow conditions and with blizzards pending. That is the unpleasant part for me. I also do not do the downtown Chicago trips as much as I used to in winter, because of that same factor. I hate digging myself out (car) at the train station etc.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 07:52 AM

I think the sun is it-it's not so bad if it's cold and sunny but the grey skies (not today luckily) just get wearing on a person (or at least me). Once you get through January though, it does seem to be better-plus one month until Vegas so there's something to look forward to!
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 07:54 AM

Another Chicagoan concurs, get me outta here! Don't get me wrong, I love my city, but this is the time of year I start looking at brochures with palm trees on them

Thankfully though, I live downtown and don't have a car, so I never have to actually dig out, and as such, unlike my neighbors I don't throw my furniture in the street to 'reserve' my spot.

Today though is lovely, but cold. I do often enjoy those brisk sunny days when everything is covered with fresh snow.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 07:55 AM

And another from Chicago who doesn't mind the winter, as long as we get some sun now and then (which has been the case in the last few weeks). I know this probably sounds odd, but having grown up in the Phoenix area, I find I have more appreciation now for the different seasons, which you don't really have there. There are definitely some things I like about the winters here.

And besides, when the cold does get to me a little, I just start looking at pictures of Capri and the Amalfi Coast, where we will be in less than five months, and that makes it all better!
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

I feel like JJ5. I do not like driving. If I were the only one on the road, I would be alright.

Like PlaceU2 says, it is the media. They say, "the blizzard of 05". As much as I prefer not so much snow at one time...get a grip people, this is Michigan (Midwest). It is January, it is supposed to be cold and snowy. Cold temps, snow and ice should not be a shock. After all, it is supposed to be cold in the winter.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 08:50 AM

I loooove the snow & cold. Just not bitter cold. Today would be miserable without the sun (my car temp reading was 1 degree when I ran out to grab some soup for lunch).

Snowy Michigan days are wonderful!! Go out & make a snowperson (must be politically correct;-)) and them come in & warm up w/ some Spanish hot chocolate or coffee w/ buttershots & Bailey's!! Perfect!!
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 08:52 AM

Sorry to hear that. Today in Fort Lauderdale, it is 78* sunny, and the water temp is 73*(not bad for Jan)IMO, Y'all come down now!
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 08:56 AM

I have seen both sides of the winter issue. Born and raised in Michigan but 15 years ago relocated in the South. I was very active in Michigan wintertime. Skiing, ice fishing, etc. Only thing got me down was November weather. No sun and low clouds. Now I would never see the situation of ever going back. I now have sun 300+ days of the year and moderate temperatures. When I was watching the news the other day of the blizzard, I could no longer relate. It might as well have been taking place in Siberia, not just a few hundred miles away.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 09:23 AM

As a Buffalonian, I don't mind the snow. As long as the temp stay around 30, I deal just fine. My family room has windows from floor to ceiling so at least when it is sunny out, it heats up like a sauna. But, what I hate most is the transition from winter to spring. It drags on and on and just when you think it has snowed the last snow, it snows again.

With that said, I am still ready for a getaway. It has been well below average temps for the past few weeks. I am leaving for Honduras in 3.5 weeks - this warm vacation should tide me over through the rest of the winter
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 09:29 AM

Go sit on a chari outside with your clothes off until your teeth start chattering, then run in the house and drink your hot beverage of choice. I guarantee you won't mind the cold. ;-)

cassidy-What is Spanish Hot Chocolate? Never heard of that one..
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 09:36 AM

Should be "go sit in a chair," not chari, I can't type worth a darn today...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -