Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is Disney's California Adventure worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 06:27 AM
Lori

My husband, me and our 8 year old son are thinking about a California vacation. Should we include Disneyland and Disney California Adventure? We've been to WDW Florida many times. Is it worth the trip to So Cal? If so, how long should we plan on visiting the parks? Any good websites out there to help with planning?

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 06:46 AM
x

if you've been to orlando, i'd skip it in california. i hear orlando is better and there is so much else to do in california. go to san diego - plenty of fun things for a family with an 8 year old.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:40 AM
Chris

I have to disagree and think that you should definitely plan a visit to both parks. Yes, it's smaller than WDW, but it's the original and, in my opinion, better. Some of the Disneyland attractions, like "It's a Small World" and "Pirates of the Caribbean" are actually a lot better than the ones in Florida. Plus, they have some different attractions (Indiana Jones is awesome).

California Adventure wouldn't be a destination in itself, but since it's right next door to Disneyland it is definitely worth a look. Your son would love "Soaring over California" and Pardise Pier, plus a host of other things that they simply don't have in Florida.

I wouldn't plan an entire vacation around these two parks, but I think you would be missing out if you didn't get to experience them. Personally, I would plan one day for each park (unless you are going over a weekend, then plan for 3 days total) and then move on to something else.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:13 AM
Bill

Lori I posed a similar question last year about DCA (Disney's Califronia Adventure). Some people told me not to waste my time with DCA. However, I did go to DCA and was pleasantly surprised by the park. I will tell you though that some of the rides are just Disneyed versions of amusement park rides you can see anywhere. Some of the attractions such as A Bug's Life and Muppet Vision 3D are copies of those found at WDW. A must see is Soarin' Over California. It is an awesome ride! We also enjoyed relaxing at the Mondavi Wine Tasting attraction. DCA is very small compared to other Disney parks. However, it is a fun respite. And I would also recommend you go to Disneyland. It is a more quaint version of the Magic Kingdom at WDW. There are attractions here that are not found at WDW such as the Indiana Jones Temple of Doom ride. I like Disneyland more than WDW's Magic Kingdom. We made a whole day out of DCA by having dinner outisde the park at the nearby Downtown Disney. Take your time and enjoy DCA to its fullest.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 09:55 AM
Sue

Hi- went to Disneyland and Ca. Adv. in Dec with my 79 yr old Dad and 70 yr old Step-Mom and my 8 yr old son. We had a blast.. loved the slower pace of DCA and wanted to ride Soarin over and over. It was great to get away from the fast pace of DL on a Saturday and my son and I loved the California Screamin Roller Coaster. I was glad we went and would definitely go again. Disneyland - where the magic began- has a special feeling about it.. especially if you take the "walk in walt's footsteps" tour for some behind the scenes info, etc. Went to San Diego as well and loved the Wild Animal Park but thought Sea World was a waste of time and money. Took the Old Town trolley tour and my son and I enjoyed that alot and you can hop off and on at any destination. Take care and have a great trip.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 10:04 AM
Sue

Forgot to mention www.intercotwest.com for some great info about Disneyland and surrounding areas (hotels, dining, etc.). I found it to be invaluable when planning our vacation. Good luck!