Is Disneyland run down now?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone from California told me that Disneyland is old and run down compared to Walt Disney World. He told me not to bother going there. Is that true? Appreciate your responses.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 06:18 PM

I don't think that Disneyland can ever truely compare itself to Walt Disney. There is a history behind this, and I don't know every detail, but story goes that Walt built Disneyland and as soon as he did all of the small little seedy hotels that you now see around it started cashing in. He got so upset about the fact that other people were profiting off of his idea that he sent out a scout to find a piece of land that was large enough that he could start over and OWN EVERY detail...and thus Walt Disney was built.

I believe that DisneyLand is MUCH better than what it was. Around 2000 Disney really started investing in the area around itself and began expanding, improving what it was. DisneyLand will never be what Walt Disney is - simply due to the land span, but it is much better than it ever has been (IMHO).

I was in Anaheim on business 2 years ago and brought my 5 yr old niece simply because it is so much more mangageable than DW - not so overwhelming. It still has the alternate parks and other things to do, but will never be able to compare to the variety and massivness of DW.

If you are going to be in CA - take the kids to Disney. If, however you have already been to Walt Disney and you are going to make a special trip to CA just to go to Disneyland, I don't think that happens as often as people who go to FL just to go to WD.

I hope I don't get attacked on the board for saying this, but I would predict that those that have been to WD will be disappointed when they go to Anaheim.

Disneyland is a MUCH MUCH smaller scale than Walt Disney.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 06:29 PM

Was just there a couple of months ago and it is NOT in any way, shape, or form "rundown" believe me.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 06:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Considering its age - it is amazing how good shape it is in. And they are constantly upgrading/adding things. Between Disneyland, CA adventure, Downtown Disney, etc. I actually prefer it to DW. Just seems more manageable . . . .
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 06:42 PM

We have always found the Magic Kingdom in CA to feel really special., and on some level we like it better than FL. Maybe b/c we are old enough to remember it as the one and only Disneyland---pre-FL-- but it just has a special feeling. However, it is correct that one would not make a trip to CA just for Disneyland, but that smaller scale *is* satisfying.....
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 06:43 PM

No, it isn't as BIG, and may not be as impressive as the much, much bigger and more varied Disney World, but anyone who says it's "run down" is a complete idiot. Sorry to be so blunt, but that's true.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 08:22 AM

No, not run down at all, we spent our 26th anniversary in Disneyland this past December, the park was decorated for the holidays and everything was very clean and well-kept. ***kim***
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 09:34 AM

they also opened up the submarine ride again its finding nemo i havent gotten a chance to go on it yet
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 10:08 AM

I think I'd go along with "idiot".

We took a friend from Paris there this year and he loved it.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 10:12 AM

I'll probably echo what cfntmpn has already said, but it's worth repeating.

Disneyland is not run-down, and can't be compared to Disney World.

Disney World, as you know, is much larger. They've got the 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, shopping areas, etc. It's a huge place, and fun and exciting in its own right.

Disneyland...well, it's special, that's for sure.

Yes, it's smaller. Yes, only 2 theme parks and Downtown Disney. But, that's its charm.

They spent much time and effort getting the Magic Kingdom park at Disneyland all spic and span for the 50th anniversary, and have been opening up new attractions and shows.

Go! Enjoy!
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 09:27 PM

I am not a Disney fan. However, I have children & so I have been to Disneyland a few times and to Disneyworld once. Actually went to Disneyland 10 days ago while kids were on spring break. It is not at all rundown. In fact, it was as clean & spiffy as you would expect. They had also upgraded somewhat since I was last there...even the food stands. One had fresh mango slices, pineapple spears, and strawberries with chocolate sauce. I also noticed that the shabby hotels on the strip have been mostly replaced by large corporate hotels, nicely landscaped, etc. So don't worry.
Come to Disneyland & spend your money!
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 08:16 AM

As well as they maintain the grounds in Disneyworld and as incredible as the landscaping is, we actually thought that the Magic Kingdom in Disneyland was better. The park is older, so some of the trees and shrubs have had time to mature, and well they are just better. It is smaller, but you will not be disappointed. You can always count on Disney to be up to date, and they do things right.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 08:32 AM

I've been to both DL and DW. I liked DL better. The whole experience was better for me. I didn't find the park to be run down at all. It was quite a few years ago though. I do plan on going back in a couple weeks. I will post back when I return. Do you have travel plans yet?
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 12:20 PM

I agree with the other responses. DL is much smaller and you probably wouldn't plan a trip to California just to go to DL. But it is lovely in it's own right and more manageable, especially if you are only going to be there for a day or two.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 12:28 PM

I thought the most interesting thing about going to Disneyland after MANY trips to Disney World, is that Main Street is designed and built on a reduced scale. The buildings seem like miniatures of the ones in Orlando. But I thoroughly enjoyed Disneyland.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 02:57 PM

Ditto to Patrick.....and the castle is definitely more interesting. If they have not changed it in the last 10 years, there is a lovely series of dioramas that tell the Sleeping Beauty story. At DL it is her castle, as opposed to WDW where it is Cinderalla's.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 08:11 PM

We have been to both parks many times but really love the original in Anaheim. I think Pirates of the Caribbean is lots neater in Anaheim. Both parks are in immaculate condition.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 01:33 PM

Eat at the restaurant where you can watch the riders go thru Pirates of the Caribean and get a Monte Cristo Sandwich.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 01:52 PM

Cali, regarding Pirates. . . when did you see them? They totally redid the one in Florida -- I think to match the one in California after the movie. So they may be alike now.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 03:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
No, Disneyland is not rundown. That's ridiculous imo. It IS older and smaller than Disney World, that much is true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -