Is Big Dig a problem?

Old May 25th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Bing

Is Big Dig a problem?

Need a favour please. We have reservations for the Regal Bostonian in mid July. Is it near the 'Big Dig', and if so, will it spoil our stay? We will have 2 children (both under 10) with us. Many thanks.

Old May 25th, 2001, 06:28 PM
Gail

The Big Dig has spoiled our entire city to some extent (in order to make it better), but it will not spoil your stay at all. The problems are more for those of us who are used to knowing where a street is only to find it dug up - if you never knew where the street was in the first place, you will have no problem. Actually, the Big Dig is fascinating for kids. My 10 year old dtr loves looking deep into the various construction sites, especially near the North End. The Museum of Science has an interactive Big Dig exhibit that explains a lot of the construction. They always seem to be digging up something in any major city we go to - so this is just digging on a larger scale.

Old May 25th, 2001, 06:41 PM
EdC

The roads in the immediate vicinity of the Big Dig are confusing, traffic patterns change regularly and the Big Dig is about 500 feet from your hotel, but DO NOT fear. The builders have done a fantastic job of keeping noise, dust and other problems which normally plague large contruction projects to a minimum. My office is only a block or two from both the Big Dig and your hotel and it has had minimal impact on my daily routine. I would say that less that one hundredth of a percent of the city have been impacted (it is only 100 feet at its widest).

Most of Boston's tourist sites are on the same side of the Dig as your hotel, so your need to cross through the construction zone will be minimal (you will only need to cross it to get to either the waterfront or the North End - oh, and to and from the airport). Also, Boston, by US standards, is a very walkable place (by the way you spelled "favour" I imagine you are coming from the UK, Ireland or Australia). Anyhow, given Boston's dependence on "foot power," the builders have done a great job of making traversing the construction zones as simple as possible (no danger of falling in!). When in doubt, ask a local where the nearest cross-walk is.

You might want to look into taking a tour of the Big Dig; tours might still be available (check on www.bigdig.com). Some of my friends took the tour and found it fascinating.

Old May 26th, 2001, 09:09 AM
Cathy

Bing: You may want to check your reservation at the Regal Bostonian as a previous poster said that it is now the Millenium Boston. I live in the Boston area but was not aware of the change- I probably was not looking for a new sign though! I think you will enjoy that area even with the construction going on. Yes it is right near where you will be staying but, You will be near Faniuel Hall, the aquarium, Museum of Science (wouldn't be too far)and you would have many family friendly eating options nearby. The only issue you may run into is crossing over to the aquarium or the North End you may just have to walk a little further to cross.I would ask the hotel directly how bad the noise is etc.... ANother option would be to stay in the Copley Square area also very good for families. (The Westin, Marriott Copley, The Four Seasons)Hope that helps and enjoy- Boston is a great city for families!

Old May 26th, 2001, 10:07 AM
Bing

Many thanks for yr replies. Indeed we come from Bath, U.K. It now seems we have another attraction to go and see. Told my kids about it and they are pretty excited. Thks for the tips.

Old May 26th, 2001, 02:43 PM
Olive Oyl

Bath....I love Bath! I feel like we need to go tidy up Boston a bit to get ready for your visit. gt; Hope your trip here is even a fraction as nice as our travels through the Cotswalds were!

Old May 26th, 2001, 05:31 PM
Beth

Placing near other inquiry

Old May 29th, 2001, 06:23 AM
EdC

FYI - I just checked (on expedia.com) to make sure I was right; the Regal Bostonian is now called "Millennium Bostonian."

Have a great visit.

Old May 29th, 2001, 10:07 AM
Thyra

Hi Bing,
We stayed at the Regal Bostonian in March...it was still called that 2 months ago at any rate.
Wonderful staff, huge room, great location, (Great fitness center as well). The Big Dig had no impact what so ever on our time in Boston, other then the obvious construction and more increased traffic. There were plenty of wonderful things to see in Boston and the Big Dig shouldn't be a problem.