Search

Irish folks looknig for hotel in Memphis

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2004, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Irish folks looknig for hotel in Memphis

Hi,
we are coming to Memphis in September 2004 and as we do not intend to have a car we are looking for a hotel that is fairly central to all attractions in the city (walking distance).
Thanks,
Noel
Old May 7th, 2004, 06:54 AM

Depending on your price range, there are a lot of hotels in the "downtown" area that would work for you. The Peabody is the nicest--but most expensive. There are also the typical Marriott's, etc. Anything downtown will be in "walking distance" to many attractions and you can always get on the trolley for less than a dollar to get to the farther out ones.
Old May 7th, 2004, 07:30 AM

Hi Noel,

One thing you want to keep in mind - Memphis isn't a huge city, but it's not compact like Dublin, where all the attractions are clustered around the Liffey and St. Stephens Green. And it's way more spread out than Cork or Galway.

If you get a hotel downtown, you'll be near Beale Street, which is sort of the main attraction. Blues clubs, restaurants and the like. And the Peabody is the classic, famous and expensive) hotel down there. I don't have much knowledge of other hotels, as I live here and stay in my own bed, but there plenty of others that have the usual clean, chain-hotel reputation, as travelisfun pointed out.

What I did want to say us that there are attractions aay from transportation lines that aren't within walking distance of Beale. Graceland, for instance, if that's your interest. Sun Studios and the newly re-opened Stax Records. The Zoo (very nice) has just gotten a pair of Giant Pandas - one of just 4 pairs in the US.

All of those would require a taxi ride, a car of your own (Memphians drive a little unpredictably , but not anywhere close to what I've seen zipping around inner Dublin) or following some very strange and long connections on what is a pretty rough urban bus system.

Other than the buses, I hope you enjoy Memphis even half as much as we enjoy Ireland!
Old May 7th, 2004, 08:01 AM
jasper

memphis is fun! the peabody has the famous peabody ducks, and you should have a drink in the lobby. i stayed across the street at the radisson and would strongly reccomend it. no need for a car at all in memphis...everything is just blocks away!

Old May 7th, 2004, 08:40 AM

Well, technically Graceland and the Zoo are 7 miles and 5 miles away from Peabody, respectively. Stax and Sun Studios are a few miles as well. But there is a lot to do downtown, so I'd still recommend that area first. And definitely the ducks in the Peabody lobby. A man in top hat and tails marches a line of ducks down the elevator and across the lobby in formation every morning so that they can swim all day in the fountain in the lobby. You don't see that everyday, unless you're the guy in the top hat.
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all for your great replies.
Regards,
Noel