Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

"Into The Woods" ...Playing In Your Town?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to take a short weekend trip sometime this year (2003-04) to see the Sondheim musical, "Into The Woods." I have checked Toronto, Chicago, New York (including Off-Broadway), London, LA, and Detroit. Might you know anywhere it might be playing this season?

Thanks,
Paul
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 05:33 PM

I know there was a road trip being planned for the show and a close friend was the PR person for the show here in NYC, so I'll ask what the schedule is.

Have you tried a search for it?

Will let you know what I find out.
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 12:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks wantsomesun... Yes indeed, I have completed numerious searches and have had no luck. I would very much appreciate any information you might be able to find.

Sincerely,
Paul
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 01:49 AM

Paul,

I did a search for you too tonight and found the website www.intothewoodsbroadway.com, which was the website for tickets and information on the broadway production. The curtain came down on Dec 29th, sad to say.

I will ask our friend tomorrow what the story is with the road show and post as soon as I hear something.
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 08:32 AM

You can get a video on Amazon. It's not the same, of course, but... better then nothing?
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks FainaAgain - I have seen the video with Bernadette Peters. Would love to see the show in person - I am working with my students on a production of it. It'd be great to see a fresh interpretation of it - not to mention taking a few days away from here!
Paul
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 11:54 AM

This may be a long shot, but call Tams-Witmark and see who is renting the parts/scores! They might give you some ideas on good productions playing in certain areas. I'll post again, if I learn of any runs. (Where do you live, Paul?)
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 12:17 PM

That is a long shot, amp. As head of a play selection for our community theatre we've tried to do that often to find out if other groups in our state or area are doing a show. Tams Witmark will not give out that information.

Often an official website for a show will tell you the schedule for a tour, but this one sure doesn't. Maybe there is no current tour?
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your suggestions and kind replies. I sure had my hopes up with contacting Tams Witmark - excellent idea! I am surprised that they won't give out that information.

Keep your ears open y'all! BTW amp322, I live in Southfield, MI. We are just about hitting freezing these past few nights in this area. Today was windy, rainy, and bone-chilling cold. It'd be so great if "Woods" were playing somewhere warm right about now... I'm ready!
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 07:35 PM
dln

Paul, as a long-time Sondheim fan who's seen Into the Woods performed both professionally and by teen thespians, I wanted to help. And I was surprised at how difficult it is, as you all have found.

Perhaps you could search backwards, as it were? Do internet searches for theatres in cities which are under your consideration, and then see what they're performing. See if any Sondheim is on the list. Or, do internet searches for cities, and look under their theatre/arts listings for the week/month. Tedious, but maybe you'll come up with something. It's such a great play & worth the time and effort to search it out!

Old Oct 4th, 2003, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the thumbs up, dln. Perhaps you might be interested in knowing that, "A Little Night Music" is playing this winter in Chicago. It is playing at the Shakespeare Theatre December 23 - February 15. I'll provide the link in case my fellow Sondheim fan is interested:
http://www.chicagoshakes.com/music.html

Now, If I could just find where "Woods" is playing.... I'm still searching in just the manner you suggested.

You'd think that there would be SOME website that might list ALL theatre productions for ALL cities. Calling all web designers - perhaps there's money to be made in this void!
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 03:37 AM

Paul, may I suggest you log onto the playbill website (http://www.playbill.com), scroll down to the bottom, click the contact us option and ask them the question. If they can't answer it, they might be able to suggest where you can get the answer.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 04:30 AM

Paul, as a fan of Sondheim in general and "Into the Woods" in particular, I was intrigued by your question. Alas, the only thing I could come up with was this April 2004 production at MSU:
http://theatre.msu.edu/Productions/S...-IntoTheWoods/

What group are you with? I live in Troy and have done a lot of community theater in the area as well. Maybe I'll be able to come see your show. You can e-mail me direct: [email protected]

Put Fodors in the subject line so I don't think it's spam. Break a leg!
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 04:31 AM

The company that holds the rights to Into the Woods in Music Theater International and not Tams Witmark. I would suggest you contact them and inquire about road shows. By the way I too directed a high school production of the show several years ago. It was an incredible experience for everyone involved.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 04:47 AM

How funny, allyboy. I knew that, but bought right into the Tams Witmark comment without even thinking about it. And MTI is much more pleasant and agreeable about giving out information. You really might call them, Paul. They are always able to tell us way ahead what shows will be touring and the rights are off limits to us. Tams makes us fill out a full and involved formal request before they will turn around and say NO, which they should be able to do at the first simple request.

By the way, I checked the schedules at Naples Philharmonic and Ft. Myers Barbara B. Mann theatres thinking maybe you could combine it with a visit to your "parental units". But no dice.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 08:35 AM
dln

Paul, thank you so much for your tip about "A Little Night Music." That was the Sondheim play that began a lifelong love for his work! Like you, I checked Chicago's offerings, and was so disappointed to learn there was a Sondheim play done this summer that I could have seen, but didn't! Drats.

Old Oct 6th, 2003, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Well, you people are great! Thanks so much. I called MTI and spoke with a terrific guy named Larry. He is going to research people/places that have paid royalties for the show (like we did), and will email me within the hour of his results.

He asked me where I was calling from (Michigan) and he offered to find places in my area where it is being performed. I told him I was 'willing' to travel and that I preferred someplace warm! LOL

Thanks for all of your suggestions and I'll let you know of my findings, if you are interested.

"Break A Leg" (Happy Trails)
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 06:01 AM

Paul,

We had dinner the other night with our friend who handled PR for the Broadway Production of Into the Woods and I asked her about a road company. She said that there is not a tour out right now, but there is talk of putting together a touring company.

Sorry I don't have better news, hope you find a production sometime this spring.

Old Jan 21st, 2015, 04:26 AM

When I searched "Into the woods" this 2003 thread appeared. Interesting reading and some familiar names.

Have you seen the 2014 movie? I went and was underwhelmed. I thought the music was "hokey" and the woods not magical or pretty enough. That being said, I'm now in love with Chris Pine--such eyes.