internship in DC

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
internship in DC

My daughter just landed a nice but low paying internship in DC. It is such a good opportunity that it will be worth all the difficulty. We are headed down to DC to scout areas and it has been a number of years since I have been there. Any neighborhood/apt rental ideas would be terrific. The internship is near Foggy Bottom and we are staying at the Watergate...could not resist the history.
thanks in advance...
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 08:28 PM

There is plenty of "student" housing between Georgetown U and GWU, but nothing is inexpensive. Roomates certainly help, so she may want to check the University "housing" lists.
M
GU M-71
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 02:42 AM

She should be able to get a room in a group house without too much trouble or excessive cost. Check out the classifieds in www.washingtonpost.com before you go, and you might be able to make arrangements to see a few places.

Check the bulletin boards around GW (George Washington University, which is in Foggy Bottom), and the student newspaper. I'm not sure if non-students can access GW's housing lists. Go to reception at the Marvin Center and ask.

And it's worth the extra money to stay near her job, and not pay for the subway. You might be tempted to have her stay out in Arlington and metro in, but the costs mount up quickly. And Foggy Bottom is very safe.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 02:53 AM

I don't suppose the people running the "internship" have any resources re housing do they? Have you thought about asking them?

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:18 AM

Unless it's some large company that takes in a huge number of interns, they won't have any info.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help....will call the schools.
No help at internship site as they only have a couple and are not into the housing issue. Room mates are likely as several graduates are headed that way but crazy college living conditions will not help her do a good job. Should be fun .......
and thanks again....hearing safe makes me feel goood.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 07:51 AM

There are hundreds if not thousands of serious graduate and professional students at/near the two universities.
Your daughter should find a comfortable arrangement which might even be affordable.
M
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 09:10 AM
E

I went to school in DC and lived there for many years afterward--roommates are the way to go. Group houses exist in every possible "flavor"--they are by no means all crazy or filled with chaotic partyers. DC is packed with earnest, ambitious young people being payed next to nothing, and the best way to avoid a roach motel or an unsafe neighborhood is to pool resources.
Check the Washington Post classifieds and the listings in the (free) City Paper, plus look around online for sharing websites. Good luck! (I think she'll have the time of her life!)
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 09:57 AM

E is exactly on the ball here. It is not unusual for four or five young womenor young men to rent houses, usually in Arlington across the Potomac, or rent condos. This can be riotous. Many of these men and women consider these internships an extension of their college days and spend much of their time sewing their wild oats. The bars of Georgetown, Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle and even Downtown are filled with these kids having a good time. As a businessman, I run into these kids all the time. Many get paid next to nothing and are forced to work long hours. The two worst to work for, incidentally, are Ralph Nader and John McLaughlin. As for single apartments, they can be had for $ 1000 a month but are very tiny. Some of these apartments are on the fringes of Dupont Circle, 16th Street, and Logan Circle. A few apartment buidlings with liveable boxes are in the more eclectic Adams-Morgan area. An employee of mine lives in on for less than a grand a month but it is miniscule.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 10:20 AM

There is also a lot of "intern" housing opportunities on Capitol Hill, which is intern ground zero. She might check The Hill or Roll Call, both of which have housing ads. Also, craigslist is popular as a place for ads.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 11:32 AM
E

One more quick note: I'm sure you already know that one-person rentals will generally have a 1-year lease requirement. If your daughter's internship is for less than that, that's another obstacle to her having her own place.