international cell phone

Jul 16th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

international cell phone

Hello Fodorites,
I'm traveling to Italy in August -- and trying to learn how I can use my Cingular Wireless cell phone in Italy. I had heard that it was simple; something about getting the phone "unlocked" and buying an International Sim card. However, when I inqured at a Cingular store about it they were stumped. Can anyone help ?
Jul 16th, 2006, 05:40 PM

This is the best tutorial I've ever seen on the subject of using cell/mobile phones in foreign countries. Be sure to read all eight parts!

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/2002/0308.htm

Jul 27th, 2007, 06:02 PM

If you will check the Europe forum you will find tons of information. Also,
www.slowtrav.com has an excellent section on cell phones and sim cards, I think, under Europe Trip Planning, as well as
lots about Italy. Hope this helps.

Jul 27th, 2007, 06:22 PM

I used mine in Paris. All I did was call them, tell them where I was going, paid 5.99 for the international set up and .99 per minute for the calls. It can be done cheaper, but for me, I didn't need to be on the phone a lot...my bill was 65.00 when I got home, plus the 5.99 of course. I shut the service off when I got home.

When I got off the plane in Paris and turned my phone on, instead of AT&T on the screen it said France. I called our car service...worked like a charm. For me, it was just wonderfully convenient. If I knew I was going to be on the phone several hours every day while I was gone, I would probably looked for a cheaper way to go. Also, my phone is duel voltage so all I needed to charge it was the adaptor...no converter required.

As mentioned above, check the listed links because there is just tons and tons of info on several threads regarding phone service over seas.
Jul 27th, 2007, 06:30 PM

I used Mobal: http://www.mobalrental.com/

For me it worked out great, no complaints at all. I simply bought their $49 phone as my cel wasn't GSM.