Interesting article about the High Line in the April National Geographic

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The past, present and future of the High Line is wonderfully documented in words and pictures in a most interesting article in the new National Geographic. (Note that it's National Geographic and NOT National Geographic Traveler.)
Now that spring is here, and hopefully that means warmer weather soon--I know, snow is predicted for tonight--a visit to High Line should be on everyone's must-see list when visiting New York. (Of course, it goes without saying that it should also be on every New Yorker's must-see list, as well.)
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 03:44 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Thanks! Can't wait to walk it.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 04:49 PM

Thank you! I'm off to find this article ☺
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 06:30 PM

Thanks for the reference Howard. I have a friend planning a trip and told her about the High Line. I am sure National Geographic will do a much better job of it so I'll point her in that direction.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Toucan2, yes, the article does indeed do a good job of explaining exactly what the High Line is all about. I keep telling people that it's a unique New York experience but then admit that I really can't put into words exact how and why it succeeds in showing you New York from a totally different perspective. The article does just that job perfectly!
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 12:16 PM

Thanks Howard, I am going to find the article. We have enjoyed several walks on the High Line and I look forward to more. Will a new section open any time soon? I think it's an amazing project and love to see people enjoying it so much.
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

According to the article the second section is opening "this spring." It didn't give an exact date.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 11:39 AM

Howard - the High Line is - no doubt - a great New York experience. But - it is not unique. The original is to be found in Paris starts a few blocks from the Opera (the new one) - and is also a great Paris experience. On the ground level - in the archways - are to be found some of the best artisanal shops in Paris. I believe New York got the idea from Paris.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

You're absolutely correct on all points, jroth. New York did indeed get the idea from the Paris original. I never claimed otherwise. Still, even though it may not be the first, it is still a highly unique New York experience. Or to put another way, the fact that it isn't the first doesn't take away from the uniqueness of the experience in New York.