Inns in Newport R.I.

Old Nov 7th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inns in Newport R.I.

Looking to go to Newport for 2 nights and would like to stay in an inn or bed and breakfast. There seems to be so many. Anyone have any recommendations? Something somewhat romantic but not extravagantly expensive?

Thanks!
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Any help on this one would be great.

Old Nov 8th, 2007, 02:40 PM

Give us some info!

When are you traveling? Midweek in winter is relatively cheap, weekends in summer are very expensive

Exactly how much are you willing to spend per night? One person's "not extravagantly expensive" may still be too much for someone else.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 02:46 PM

Jim,
Just got back from New England after staying 2 nights in Rhode Island. We stayed at the Best Western mainstay inn, BUT if you go to trip advisor lots of the more romantic upscale B & B's are listed with peoples feedback.

This is how we came to book our hotel, we just wanted value for money and it did not disappoint.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 06:48 PM

Just in case you change your mind re "extravagantly expensive" you might look into Castle Hill Resort/Inn. In Newport, RI. It's a great place.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 09:56 PM

Frances Malbone House is one of my favorites - aside from Castle Hill - ( but expensive to one is not expensive to another.... ) hard to tell if you don't give a ballpark price -
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 05:58 AM

I have stayed at both the Cliffside Inn and the Viking Hotel in Newport. Both are very nice - the Viking is nearer downtown and the Cliffside is on the edge of town near the start of Cliff Walk. Not sure what you consider expensive...
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 07:38 AM

Go to www.gonewport.com for exhaustive info on lodging, restaurants, etc.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks-- Sorry for the lack of info. Did a lot of research online and actually ended up booking a night at the Malbone. We are going down for a weekend and I didn't think I would be able to get a 1-night stay there. Fortunately it worked out and I am really looking forward to the quick stay. Unfortunately, scheduling conflicts prevent us from staying any longer than 1 night for the weekend we are getting down there (late November).

Getting down early Friday and staying all day Saturday.... Any suggestions on things to do in such a short time. We did the mansions before so this will be a mansion-free weekend. Maybe do some wineries on Friday and check out the shops on Saturday. will the shops be open?

Any suggestions on a place (bar) after dinner to check out live acousitic music??

Thanks again,

Old Nov 12th, 2007, 09:19 AM
mei

I loved this place...good price and great location and I've stayed in several Newport hotels and B & B's.
www.almondyinn.com
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 07:07 PM

Jim:
Other things we've enjoyed in Newport (aside from many of the mansions, -and some are very different than others, so you could consider doing another - you can check them all out online thru the newport preservation society web page )

The NAM - Newport Art Museum - also in a great old wooden building, magnificent architecture, can check out online what exhibit will be showing - and you can walk to NAM from the Malbone House -

and from there the shops (aside from the wharf stores) to see the shops on the side streets and up onto Bellevue Ave

The International Tennis Hall of Fame is a fabulous museum - with great items on display, and wonderful old videos of great tennis matches throughout history - they've really done a wonderful job with this museum - and it is right off Bellevue - you could do NAM , shop and hit this one -

The Ocean Drive
www.oceandrivenewport.com

is great - with lots of stops to choose from along the ten mile drive - and you could include a stop at Castle Hill for lunch/drinks/something!