Inn at Little Washington

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Gwen86

Inn at Little Washington

Looking for a romantic overnight trip for husband's 40th birthday. Has anyone experienced the Inn At Little Washington, in Washington,VA? Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gwen- The RESTAURANT at the Inn is INCREDIBLE!! Definitely go!!

But if you don't want to spend that much on the sleeping accomodations, try this inn:

http://www.middleton-inn.com
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 09:35 PM

Although the restaurant at the Inn at Little Washington is priced extravagantly, I was pleasantly surprised at how reasonable the room prices were. If you want to experience the inn, at least call and get prices before trying anyone's alternative recommendations.

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 07:33 PM

Gwen: So many fantastic things have been written about this place, it has captured my interest for a long time. I haven't been there yet, but if I lived on that side of the country,I sure would go.

What impresses me most is not only the gorgeous food, wine and accomodations, but the care which they give to each person dining there. I read an interview with the owners which said that every night before opening, the entire staff reviews who is coming and what special occasion they're celebrating. And--during dinner, they keep watch to make sure everyone seems to be having a good time. If one table looks unhappy, the staff work together, going out of their way to add a nice comment or whatever is needed to help. The detail that they put into creating a wonderful time for their customers is mind-boggling! If you go, please report back--I'd love to hear about it. And have a happy celebration!
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 07:48 PM

Tio Gringo-- Either you have a very large expense account or money is definitely no object with you...
I was trying to help Gwen in case she felt the rooms were too expensive--

This is right off the Inn at Little Washington's website for their rates:

9 rooms: 340-865 USD t.7% s.i.
2238 FRF / 5694 FRF

5 suites: 550-940 USD t.7% s.i.
3620 FRF / 6188 FRF

And This is their link:

http://www.relaischateaux.com/site/u...on_tarifs.html

If you consider reasonable rates to be $340-865 PN reasonable, then have a GREAT stay at this wonderful place....

Most people , even those that can afford it, like to sometimes savor just the expensive meal and sleep in another Great BUT NOT as expensive lodging...
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 08:25 PM

I agree it is an expensive place to stay, but I've never heard anything but raves about the Inn (as well as the restaurant). We once looked at it and thought maybe they did a special rate with dinner included, but couldn't find any. And in addition breakfast is an additional $50 for 2!
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 05:55 AM

Dinner at the Inn is fabulous. The room prices were too high for us so we stayed at a nearby B&B and then went over for dinner. The rooms at the Inn are supposed to be wonderful but small. They were decorated, I believe, by a London set designer. When you are checking the prices you might notice that Sun-Thurs are less expensive for both the rooms and the dinner. We went for the Sun night of a 3-day holiday weekend.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 06:53 AM

I had one dinner there - and it was, without a doubt, the best dining experience I have ever had. From the second I was seated in the lovely restaurant, everything was perfect - the service, the ambiance, the food, the presentation.... it was the best $150 I ever spent on a meal. I don't drink, so I can't say what it would be with wine, but I have heard in the $300 pp range.

As for the inn rooms, I have seen several of them, and unless you are willing to pay for the nicer ones - larger, quieter, with bathtubs, at about $500 a night - I can't say it would be worth it. Not that I am opposed to $500 a night on principle - I commented on Blackberry
Farm on this forum recently, where that was the rate for one night American Plan. But for me,the Inn rooms aren't worth it.

You know, I am a member of Andrew Harpers Q Club and there is a property within a short drive of the Inn - it's called the Goodstone Inn - that is highly recommended, and much more reasonable. I don't know if they serve dinner, but it would be my choice for accommodations.

Wherever you end up, enjoy!
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 07:22 AM
PCHsmiles

Dinner and lodging for two at the Inn -over $1,000.

Research New Yorker and locate an article about the chef/owner and his partner, and their ongoing battle with many other residents of Little Washington. Ambition versus resistance to change - classic confrontation. The Inn also offers an excellent cookbook!! Enjoy.

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 09:27 AM

Hello, my dear. I am mad, just plain mad for Patrick O'Connell and Reinhardt Lynch and The Inn at Little Washington. This is one of the BEST dining/boutique hotel experiences available in America. It really doesn't get much better than this. Here is a terrific example of what two genius gay guys can do with their talents. And who couldn't love what Joyce Evans has done with the place? I want her to design the interior of my next home. I was just there in July and my meal was as great as always. Service, too. They really know how to treat a Queen or make you feel like one. I could pick a few things apart but I'm always in search of perfection. These guys sure do come close. I wouldn't hesitate recommending going into debt to experience this level of luxury at least once in your life. The Inn at Little Washington is one of my favorite destinations. All you have to do is mention it and I smile.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 09:46 AM

Have they managed to train their new Dalmatian yet? I read an article a while back after their previous doggie hostess passed away that her replacement was in the habit of gobbling down passing cheese when no one was looking...
*sigh* Definitely one of those places I want to try before I die (doesn't everybody have a list like that?? ) - I've heard nothing but ecstatic raves. Perhaps if I sold a kidney...
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 10:52 AM

Yes, their cookbook is full of beautiful photography of the inn and their food, and of course, their exquisite recipes. I highly recommend you try Potatoes Baked in Cream--possibly the next best thing to being there.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 11:25 AM
PCHsmiles

...ah yes, NHCFS, how are you? Our paths may have crossed at Little Washington. Nearby, I raised horses for some years, until dividing time between rural and city became too traumatic. Their food is devine, and their cookbook very reliable. Two years ago, Patrick created the menu for a major dinner in Paris, complete with terrific macoroni and cheese with Va. Smithfield ham - to go with the First Growths being served. I have kept those recipes and used them several times, always to exclamations "this is not the way my mom cooked it - yikes, I didn't know it was possible to make it this good."

I shall toast my first beer to you tonight as the Yankees meet the Os in Camden Yards. I'm here for some affairs, and of course nothing is more American than baseball. Wow, if I had a cellphone number I could give you an inning by inning recap. But that would be madness, LOL.

Take care.

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 11:26 AM
PCHsmiles

Whoops, NYCFS! Take care.

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 11:31 AM
PCHsmiles

Could it be that the black and white printed pants Patrick et al wear in his kitchen is in hommage to their Dalmatian? I've always wondered about the pattern. My mint was "stolen" from his garden, and it grows like mad, and makes the best Mint Juleps.

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 12:05 PM

PCH.....No,the pants are standard,no frills, chef pants in the small check pattern.They are basic poly cotton blend high quality synthetic and natural fibers.They are wash and wear no fuss.They cost $20.95.They have 2 front pockets and 1 back pocket,elastic waist,draw strong with tapered legs.Most chefs opt for the check pattern.But a chef who considers himself avante gard will undoubtedly opt for the faux black satin.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 12:10 PM
PCHsmiles

... well, thanks, I think. Amazing eye for detail. Fodors is THE place to go.

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 12:31 PM

Great decription, BeachBoi, but I'd rather hear what you've got under yours.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 12:53 PM

Definitely briefs..