Reload this Page >

Infant--buy seat on airplane?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 02:40 PM
mary

We are going to be traveling with a 7 month old over to Hawaii (from SF). Any advice as to whether we should purchase a seat or not? For safety reasons, we are leaning toward buying a seat but would like input from others that have flown with infants. Thanks.

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 03:00 PM
David

If you think the baby will sleep, buy the extra seat. While it's definitely safer, how safe are any of us if a plane goes down in the ocean (not trying scare).

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 03:31 PM
Sal

Mary-
Traveling that distance with an infant is challenging. If you can't go first class, request a bulkhead seat for more space. We have 3 children and all have flown as infants. In general, I have found the flight crew very understanding and helpful. After all, they don't like hearing a crying baby either. Give a bottle on take off and landing to reduce ear pressure. As far as getting a seat--definitely. Several years ago, I asked the same question of a college friend who was a flight attendent. She said that those in her industry referred to infants without their own seats as "bullets". I think that says it all.

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 07:37 PM
Lani

Severe turbulence can turn an infant into a "bullet" in no time flat! I wouldn't chance it myself!

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 07:09 AM
Christie

ABSOLUTELY get a seat for your infant! And bring the car seat and strap the child into it for the duration of the flight just to be safe.

I can recall some nasty turbulence I've experienced (flight attendants holding on to seat backs for dear life, stuff flying off beverage cart, etc.) that would have sent a lap child flying through the air. You don't want to go there...

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 07:28 AM
ilisa

I'm sorry, but unless there are extreme circumstances, I can't believe people even consider this to be an option. You absolutely should buy a seat. It is not a matter of safety if the plane should go down, but a matter of safety in case of turbulence. Babies who are not strapped in make amazing projectiles. Make sure you pre-board in order to get the seat strapped in. If the airline no longer offers pre-boarding, ask for it. This has worked for us when we said we didn't want to delay the flight by taking extra time to strap in the seat. Also remember, most airlines offer 1/2 price seats to children under 2. In some cases they won't automatically offer it to you; you have to ask.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 07:43 AM
steve

If the flight is full, get a seat. If the flight is likely to be fairly empty, why pay for what you will almost certainly be able to get?

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 11:39 AM
MB

Here's a test-Take a chair and put it about 12 inches from a wall and sit there for about 4 hours with your baby in your lap! For safety's sake and your own comfort and sanity buy the extra seat. Kids are used to being in their seat and both the Association of Flight Attendants and Department of Transportation strongly recommend buying the extra seat for children under 2.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 12:05 PM
CS

If you can afford to go to Hawaii, you can aford to buy a seat for what is supposed to be you most precious possession.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 12:29 PM
Alli

Mary,

I just arrived home on Saturday on a flight from San Jose CA to Ft Laud FL with my husband and 1 year old daughter. She flew as a lap child. On the way out, it was her and I and we had a bulk head seat which was great. Much more room to play in. On the return trip, my husband accompanied us, and we sat in a regular seat. Let me tell you, if I had only purchased a seat for her!! She is so active and there was no room for her to play. She cried for hours. My husband and I felt awful for her and the other pasengers. I completely regret not doing so. I think if she had been in her seat, it would have been like she was riding in a car (which she loves). It would have restrained her and given her the security and the feeling as if she was going for a long car ride.

If I was to do it again, I would buy a seat, but we told our daughter, no more plane trips until she is a bit older.

On the other hand, there were several passengers traveling with infants. I saw only 1 with a seat purchased, the others were lap children. Some of these children were ok, others, not happy.

I now think that you travel with children before they can walk or when they are older to know that they have to sit still. When they are infants, they really do not do anything but sleep and eat, you know the routine. When they begin to walk, they never want to sit still.

Also, ask your Dr. about giving a dose of Benadryl to make your child sleepy. Unfortunately, this did not work for us.

Hope this helped. Have a great trip!!

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 01:20 PM
MB

Mary and Ali-Watch the Benadryl, it hypes some kids up. If your ped. says it is ok, try it out before to see what effect it will have on your child.

I agree with the car seats. Kids feel safe and secure in their car seat and it makes for a much happier child.

And Ali-I have traveled with my 2 year old numerous times. We have always bought the extra seat, taken plenty of toys to occupy her, (buy some new ones and hide them until the plane ride) given her juice on take offs and landings and had snacks on hand. It is do-able with a child, you just have to plan, be flexible and be patient! Also, I might add take the earliest flight out and back. The later flights tend to be delayed and your child will be crankier the later in the day!

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 02:15 PM
Cindy

Allie, don't be so hard on yourself. Kids have bad flights sometimes. They also have good flights sometimes. If you prepare (which I'll bet you did), and supervise closely to make sure the kid doesn't do bratty things, you should feel free to travel. I understand how you feel, though. It is so humiliating when one's child just doesn't handle the situation. (Oh, by the way, bulkheads didn't work for us at all. It gives some kids the idea that they are free to wander, so they resent being confined. Mine do better with a seat back in front of them.) Better luck next time!