Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

In July - through, or around Death Valley??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 05:10 AM
adamsmom

Now that we're totally scared of Death Valley, even though we explored and enjoyed Joshua Tree, Saquaro and Organ Pipe National Parks in July, here's my question:

From Vegas to Sequoia, should we go THROUGH Death Valley to see it, or should we take the long way around to avoid it? Considering that the entire area is desert, and HOT, will it make that much difference?

We have a brand new van, and would really like to see it. The chances are slim (for MANY reasons) that we will be coming back this way anytime soon, so this may be our one and only chance to see it.

All comments and advice greatly appreciated!

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 05:55 PM
bill

I would go through Death Valley. As you said, it's HOT everywhere in the desert, any way you go. You can see alot from your car. Just be sure the a/c works.

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 03:13 AM
Paul Rabe

I don't recommend going through *DEATH* Valley in the summer, but it can be done. Try not to drive through the area between noon and late afternoon, check you gauges, carry AND DRINK lots of water. Pick only a place or two you want to see, then go only there; this minimizes the amount of time you spend there.

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 10:55 AM
me

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 11:38 AM
virginia

Death Valley is really worth seeing. The colors are lovely, mustard yellows and BLUE sky, and the white salt flat that covers the basin where Badwater is is spectacular. Any route you take from Vegas to Sequoia will involve a lot of heat. You could hit a cool spell - sometimes it's only 90 during the day, or, it could be 125! Go ahead and experience the heat. Like the others said, use your A/C and have lots of water. You may want to think about spending the night at Furnace Creek or Stovepipe Wells in the park - it's a long drive from Vegas to even Bakersfield, and then Sequoia is 2-3 hours past Bakersfield. I think it would take you 2 hours just to drive straight through the park from the eastern entrance to the southwestern exit point.

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 12:35 PM
beenthere

I would definetly go, been there in summer and it is hot, but you aren't going to melt, especially driving through. I would ignore advice about A/C, that's how most people end up broken down, just let that warm air push through the windows and have lot of water.

There are actually some little motels in D.V. with swimming pools (oasis) and A/C for an overnight, we camped but it was pretty uncomfortable. Why not check it out if you are in the area. It'll make the cool area of Sequoia that much sweeter.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 04:47 AM
adamsmom

Thanks everyone, for your responses! Yes, we have decided to drive through Death Valley. A question for "Been There" - you say to ignore the posts about A/C - what do you mean exactly? Do you mean to keep the air on and not worry about the van overheating? Please respond and clarify.

Also, any additional comments from anyone would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 05:43 AM
Cindy

Can't comment on Death Valley specifically, but I learned to drive in Arizona. The conventional wisdom for hot weather driving was that you should feel free to use your AC if your car is in good shape. Keep an eye on the heat gauge. If it starts getting hotter than normal (or if you are going up a big hill), you might turn it off for a while. If you really get worried, turn on the heater. That's right, the heater. Set it on fresh air intake, not recirculate. My lay understanding is that this sucks heat off of the engine and blasts it right into your face. But your engine will cool off, and that, after all, is the goal.

Good luck, and please let us know how it went.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 06:05 AM
Samantha

A suggestion for you (though you may have already thought of it) is to have a cell phone with you AND lots of gallons of water along - JUST in case of a breakdown. It's been known to happen even with new vehicles. My husband and I have made many cross country drives and we always prepare for the worse case scenario. Cindy is right about turning on the heater if your heat gauge comes on - it takes the heat off of the engine pronto. Have a safe and happy drive.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 06:28 AM
beenthere

My advice about A/C is that most cars overheat because the A/C is ON. It taxes the car and engine, which increases your odds of breaking down. Saw a lot of this on drives through the desert in summer months. I recommend keeping it off and watching your gauges unless you have really high car confidence. If you notice your temp. gauge rising into the HOT arena, turn your heater on full blast and it will help bring the temp. down without having to stop. This may sound a little extreme, but being hot in the car for a little while is better than breaking down in nowhere Nevada or waiting hours for the engine to cool down. Bring a cooler full of ice and be creative if it gets real hot.

You have to go through the desert anyhow, check out DV along the way I say.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 08:06 AM
adamsmom

Thank you again, SO VERY MUCH!! I think we'll be ok, now that we know some of your excellent hints. We in the beautiful northeast don't have to worry about over-heating very often. However, if you ever need to know how to drive in the snow or an ice-storm, give me a holler!

BTW, any additional hints STILL greatly appreciated!!! Thanks again!

Old Jun 25th, 2000, 04:22 AM
adamsmom

OK, we're going through the Valley! Now, can anyone predict the driving time from Vegas to Sequoia, if we stop only briefly in the Valley to see the sights? Thanks so much!