Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Chicago--Old and Luxurious Hotel and other Things

Old Jun 3rd, 2000, 04:13 PM
Gary

I enjoy staying in older hotels that have been tastefully refurbished. Normally, my stays are not more than two nights, so price is not really an object.

I have never been to Chicago, but will be there for two nights later this month. If anyone has experience with some of the older establishments, which do you recommend? My preferences would be 1) a luxurious room, 2) a view, 3) a nice bar on the premises, 4) a handsome lobby and/or exterior architecture. An in-house or nearby restaurant is not a requirement, since I have my heart set on Morton's. I have researched some of the past postings. It seems that the Drake and Palmer House are mentioned frequently. Coincidentally, last night I was watching "North by Northwest", in which two scenes were shot in the Ambassador East, which is another Fodor's recommendation. Any comments comparing these three? Any others?

ALSO. My friend and I enjoy blues clubs and mini-brewery-type bars. Is there an area in or near downtown where we might find such places within walking distance of each other? We will have a car, but...

One more thing: where can we kick back lakeside on a Sunday afternoon?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations you night have.

Old Jun 3rd, 2000, 05:52 PM
Suz

Gary,

I think of the 3 you mentioned the Drake would be your best bet location-wise. You are not too far from Rush Street for blues and all kinds of music. You are very near Lake Michigan (a block or two) also near Gold Coast, Michigan Avenue for shopping and attractions. Short cab ride to magnificent Navy Pier. All kinds of wonderful things to do in that part of Chicago plus enjoy the Lake front the best. Ambassador is not far from there and has the famous Pump Room. Palmer House is in the Center of the loop. Much farther jaunt to lake and no real beach there. Drake has Oak Street Beach. Enjoy yourself. Chicago is an amazing city. Be sure to include some of our tremendous museums as well.

Old Jun 3rd, 2000, 05:53 PM
marilyn

The Drake would fulfill all your requirements. A great and historic hotel, it also offers lake views. Magnificent lobby. Second would be the Ambassador East, though I'm not sure it has been kept up as well as the Drake, and would not have a lake view option. Palmer House has the requisite lobby and bar, but the neighborhood is not as preferable, no views, and rooms vary even more than in most hotels this age.

Not up on bars, sorry, and not sure what you mean by kick back lakeside Sunday afternoon. Bars and boating at Navy Pier, Oak Street beach just across the street from the Drake, and the green belt of Grant and Lincoln Parks all along lakefront/

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 01:20 PM
arjay

The Drake also offers a great bar - sort of the "neighborhood saloon" for the posh Gold Coast crew. It's on the street level, called Coq d'Or. Nice ambience and a terrific piano bar/saloon singer - Buddy Charles...starts at 9p.m. As noted, you can just stroll across the street on Sunday afternoon and you'll be on the beach, with some great people-watching. Chicago's free alternative weekly paper is The Reader - they probably have a domain name website, and it's an excellent source for nightlife listings, etc. Hope you'll come back and let us know what you think of Chicago....Incidentally, one side of the Drake (the north) overlooks Lake Shore Drive and the lake...you'd best specify when you reserve if a view is really important to you.

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 11:11 AM
lisa

The Drake has a great location and nicer rooms and better service than the Palmer House, in my opinion. However, the lobby at the Palmer House is stunning. I would choose the Drake.

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 02:47 PM
Sabrina

Let me offer a vote for the Palmer House. It's a great hotel. It is in the heart of the Loop, near shopping, the theater district and all the other things you're wanting to do (blues clubs, great restaurants, bars, museums etc.) You're also close to Grant Park and the Lakefront.

If your heart is set on a microbrewery, make sure you get to Goose Island, which is about a 10 minute cab ride from the Loop. For Blues clubs don't miss Buddy Guy's Legends or Blues Etc. Have fun.

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 07:17 PM
mjw

As far as the lake goes, you can rent bikes at Navy Pier, follow the trails, and it will take you down along the lake, and by the beach. Rental is about $8 an hour.

Old Jun 25th, 2000, 09:14 AM
donna

The Drake gets my vote. We have stayed there four or five times and have never been disapointed. Try a club suite, and when you book ask for a room with a view of the lake.