Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

In Indianapolis for a week - requesting restaurant and entertainment recommendations

Search

In Indianapolis for a week - requesting restaurant and entertainment recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all!
I am going to be in Indianapolis for a week (Monday - Friday), as my MBA program requires me to travel there for a week at the beginning of the semester. Some background on me: I'm a 27 yo working adult from LA, into good food, bars, etc.

My program requires me to stay at the University Place hotel near (or on) the Indiana University campus. I will not be renting a car while I'm there, but I do have shuttle service available to me to/from downtown.

My questions:
1) Do you have any restaurant recommendations for that part of town (or downtown)?
2) Any nighttime entertainment options? Good clubs or bars that you recommend?

I'm totally lost about this city, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 04:14 AM

http://www.rathskeller.com/

The Rathskeller is a German Bar/Restaurant that is downtown. Sometimes they have live bands on the weekend. There have a large beer garden. Lots of German beer. Their prices are kind of high, especially their food.
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 05:01 AM

St Elmo's is a landmark restaurant downtown. If you can get a cab or shuttle, I think the areas around 86th and Ditch Road or Keystone at the Crossing have nightlife, restaurants and shopping as well.
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 05:55 AM

The Broad Ripple area, just north of downtown, has ethnic restuarants, sidewalk cafes, and music spots.

Th 86th and Ditch, and Keystone, are indeed hoppin' and lively, but they are pretty much chain restuarants and malls -- not sure that's what you are looking for.
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 06:01 AM

The State Fair is on .... There is nothing like a midwestern state fair for piggin out on extravagantly unhealthy food. Think 2-inch thick pork chops on a stick. Followed by mile-hi lemon merangue pie. There is a concert every night, which will probably not resemble anything you can find in LA.
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 06:28 AM

For a really nice upscale restaurant, try Elements. We recently had a memorable meal there.
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 12:16 PM

I would investigate the restaurants on Mass. Ave. Personally, I've had several excellent meals at Scholar's Inn and that area has quite a few blocks of interesting shops and restaurants.