Reload this Page >

In & Around U of San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 1999, 05:11 PM
Nicole

My husband is thinking about attending the University of San Francisco for grad school. We are currently living in Chicago (I've lived my whole life here and he's from Virginia), but are travelling to CA in August to visit the campus/city. Are there any suggestions to the places we should visit while we're there? What is the housing like in and around UofSF?

Old May 23rd, 1999, 05:16 PM
Diane

Expensive, but....it can be done. My 20something niece recently lived there for 3 years. If you fall in love with the city like I did, you'll figure out a way to do it! I know I would.

Old May 23rd, 1999, 08:58 PM
D.B.

Like it was said, expensive. But as Chicagoans, if you are willing to endure a 30-60 minute commute then you will find more reasonable apartment and/or housing costs per sq. ft. in outlying areas. If one or both of you intend to work as well, then that will play a large part in the area you select. You don't say how long you will visit, but rent a car and go south to San Jose, East to Pleasanton/Livermore, and north to Marin and check it all out (oh yeah, and west to Hawaii). Buy the Mercury newspaper, and any of smaller local papers for housing costs.

Old May 23rd, 1999, 09:03 PM
ray seva

If you've never been to SF, check-out any guidebook for the "tourist" spots. You can't go wrong here. After you've scoped-out these popular destinations, why not try checking-out the "local" sites? SF is a stunning city...very cosmopolitan, kinda European/Asian-like. Check-out some of the popular residential neighborhoods (South of Market, Pacific Heights/Presidio Heights, Noe Valley, Sunset & Richmond Districts are my faves).
Yeah, housing is really expensive...I was paying $985 for a studio apartment in North Beach--and it was considered a bargain! (Oh yeah, I also had to pay an extra $135 a month for parking at my place.) You can find smalll places for a few hundred dollars less, but the neighborhoods won't be as exciting or safe.
USF has an excellent student gym/health club. I think you'll like the campus.
Have fun!

Old May 23rd, 1999, 09:14 PM
SFSally

I would not take DB's recommendations. Rents are just as expensive in San Jose than San Francisco. USF is in a good part of the city if you don't mind a little fog. It will be expensive but morst urban areas are.. You are far better off to find a place close to the campus or with good public transportation. Start looking on the Internet right now. This will give you some idea what to expect. I helped my daughter locate an apartment a bout 6 months ago when she moved to San Francisco. There is a shortage of housing so be prepared to do some looking but you will find something. San Francsico is a great city and you should enjoy it very much. A car is a very expensive luxury in San Francisco. You can do quite well without it.

Old May 24th, 1999, 06:49 AM
cp

Hi Nicole.
Ray and SFsally are spot on with their advice. The closer to the water you get, the less trendy the housing so might have an easier time finding something out in what we call "the avenues".

Personally, I prefer Oakland and Berkeley, but a perverse fate has it that I live here in SF. The pace is quieter there, both cities have better public trans than SF, things like rent are less expensive.
One thing is true, we never shovel snow!

Old May 25th, 1999, 10:31 PM
Rick

I beg to differ with SFSally re: auto vs. public transportation. You should go to www.sfgate.com (SF newspaper website) and search under MUNI. This will give you an idea of the state of public transit within the city. In fact, you'll find a lot of useful info there.

Old May 25th, 1999, 11:13 PM
SFSally

I don't live in a vacuum. I realize that Muni has some problems. However public transportation is still far better than having a car in San Francisco no matter how bad Muni may appear. The busses/trolleys/cable cars are still running. The trolley runs right past USF on 19th unless it has quit since last Sunday when I drove down 19th.

Berkeley nor Oakland are viable alternatives unles you attend UC Berkeley which is a whole new ballgame. San Francisco is much safer than either Oakland or Berkeley. That is not subjective. The FBI crime statistics show Oakland ( Much higher ) and Berkeley with higher crime rates than San Francisco. The areas around USF are very safe.

Old May 26th, 1999, 06:48 PM
Nicole

I just want to say thank you to those of you who have taken the time to give an answer regarding U of SF. Seeing as though SF is only a 1/3 of the size of Chicago I don't think we'll have any problems with the Muni (public transportation). I've been told over and over again how terrible our El system is compared to other cities, and in all actuality it really isn't so bad -- at least in my opinion. I'm prepared...