Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Francisco to Los Angeles by car .....ANY IDEAS???

Old May 20th, 1999, 01:17 PM
T Fox

We are traveling next week from San Francisco to Los Angeles by car. Any suggested places in between. We are looking for neat places to stay, sightsee, shop and eat. (Seafood places????) We are two women in early 50's. We we would appreciate all tips andsuggestions! THNX

Old May 20th, 1999, 01:23 PM
michele

Look at Karen Brown's routes and itineraries for great information. Don't miss Hearst castle. There are plenty of smaller cities and towns on the way that are very scenic; Santa Barbara, Cambria, etc.

Old May 20th, 1999, 06:58 PM
Bernard

If you're travelling by car I urge you to take the Pacific coast highway. It's a windy road that hugs the California coast line. The scenery is magnificent. Stop in Carmel,Montery and San luis Obispo (I think) for the Hearst castle. A must see!!

Old May 20th, 1999, 07:30 PM
Owen O'Neill

Point Lobos Reserve (I think it's in Pfeiffer State park) up north of Big Sur is a must see if you enjoy natural beauty. Photographer Edward Weston shot many famous photos there. Hearst Castle (San Simeon)also a must but make reservations in advance - it's often sold out. I also recommend lunch at Nepenthe - on Higwhay 1 in the Big Sur area. Good food and possibly the best view of any restaurant in the US - must be seen to be appreciated.

Old May 24th, 1999, 03:59 PM
Tammy

Just did that trip last week! It was wonderful...So much to see. The above posters really got at most of it...San Jose is 40 minutes south of San Fran...the Winchester Mystery House is fun. Of course the Pacific Cost Highway all the way down...Monterey Aquarium, 17 mile drive, lunch at Nepenthe in Big Sur, Hearst Castle definitely (get tickets ahead of time). We stayed one night in San Luis Obispo at the Madonna Inn...Cool rooms with alot of originality! Stop by at Solvang for pastries, and go to Leno in LA.

Old May 26th, 1999, 09:55 PM
Alfred Wu

When you are in LA, make sure you go to the Crab Cooker in Newport Beach. They have the best seafood in town!