Reload this Page >

In a quandry-Jackson Hole and Yellowstone

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 03:30 AM
Paeony

Hi. I've read lots of forum posts but can't quite find the answer I need and would appreciate help on our visit from the UK to Yellowstone and Grand Teton NPs end May/early June. (Unfortunately the nps web site isn't running at present.)
So far our family (incl children 7+10 yrs) is booked for 4 nights in an old room without bath at the Old Faithful Inn. Then 4 nights at the Yellowstone Village Inn just outside the park near Mammoth Springs. The final 4 nights will be in Jackson Hole/Teton. I'd definitely like a scenic cabin there (no kitchen needed)that has views and space around it for the children to go exploring on their own amongst trees, streams (they insist they want time on their own without parents or activities which is understandable as we live in a city). I've seen places like Signal Mountain Lodge recommended - is that suitable for the children to go off on their own for an hour or so? Or would the Cowboy Village resort be better as the children might like to also soak up some 'cowboy' atmosphere in nearby Jackson. (We can't afford places like Jenny Lodge.) All help appreciated.
Finally, does anyone know how long it takes to get from Mammoth Springs to Canyon? I know the distance isn't great, but I gather it is very slow and although I decided not book any nights there, perhaps I should change my mind.
Phew, I've asked lots of questions. Really excited about going - geology and scenery look amazing. Thanks.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Howard

The surroundings of the Signal Mountain Lodge are beautiful and the facility is excellent....but I'm not sure I would let children that age go off roaming by themselves.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 07:27 AM
travellyn

A park service official told me on Tuesday that the nps website will probably be working by early next week.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Lexma90

What a great trip - we visited Yellowstone with our two young children two years ago, and will definitely return when they're old enough to do more hiking. I had visited Yellowstone 2 times when I was young (my parents worked at Yellowstone before I was born, so they have a great attachment to the place), and while I had always wanted to return, I had forgotten how spectacular the topography & the geysers are, as well as all the wildlife. And I had described this all to my husband & son (my daughter was only 1 1/2 at the time), but the amazed look on their faces the first time they saw the brilliantly-colored, bubbling hot pots at West Thumb (we entered the Park from the south, & that's where my parents had worked) was wonderful to see.

I don't think you need to also try to stay in Canyon; the rooms are probably already fully booked, anyway. Yes, the drive from Mammoth Springs will be slow and somewhat tedious after the first several times, but the scenary is always spectacular!

Re lodging in Jackson, we stayed at Cowboy Resort (I assume you mean the location in Jackson). There is really not much grass and room to explore around there; it's on the edge of "downtown" and a residential area, though the Jackson Rodeo is within walking distance. The cabins are also quite small. It worked for us because we wanted a kitchen, and our kids are young enough to be fine with a little room to run around, and we wanted to be walking distance to "downtown" Jackson. I'm not familiar with Signal Mountain Lodge.

Options for kids to do wandering: There's a ski resort IN Jackson; as I recall, I think it's called Sky King. There's a chairlift you can ride up to an alpine slide, mini-golf, and horseback riding there. That may be a safe area for the kids to wander around. I think there's also a hotel there, though I don't know the name.

Feel free to e-mail with any other questions - you're visiting one of the U.S.'s very best places to see by going to Yellowstone & Grand Teton!

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 10:05 AM
John

I agree with the above about Cowboy Village in Jackson. It is in the middle of town and is not really a resort except or the fact that it is a collection of cabins on a plot of land.

If you are really looking for a resort atmosphere in your budget, try the cabins at Colter Lake. I believe they are a bit cheaper than the other park accomodations. They are a bit rustic, but near a lot of activities and essentials like food...

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Gretchen

I may be in the minority here but 8 days in Yellowstone is a lot. I much prefer the Tetons and might suggest splitting the latter 4 days to 2 and 2. There are float trips and other things to see. Sorry I can't comment on the places--we stayed at a dude ranch near Kelly. Be sure to see the slide near Kelly--it is a geological wonder (name escapes me at tehmoment).
But the American West is unparalelled in the world in my opinion and your kids are lucky ducks!! Enjoy.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Karen

Best advise I can give you is to post your question in the chat room for Yellowstone at
yellowstone-natl-park.com

The people in the chat room are a fantastic help!

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 03:05 PM
Paeony

Gosh, so many quick replies. Great. I've crossed Cowboy Village Resort off my list - thanks for that.
After all the hours I've spent on the web I don't know how I managed to miss the Yellowstone web site that was mentioned- looks helpful and I'll study it in depth.
I did consider a cabin at Colter Bay Resort but thought it sounded a bit noisy/busy. Maybe I was wrong.
Thanks everyone for ALL your comments. Wish we were going now instead of suffering the usual glum, grey, damp British January weather (never come here in Jan or Feb!)

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 04:00 PM
Kathy

I have to agree with Gretchen that 8 nights in Yellowstone is alot. If you're spending 12 nights on this trip I would maybe spend 6 in Yellowstone, 3 in Grand Teton National Park and 3 in Jackson. Do not skip Grand Teton National Park. We stayed at the Signal Mountain Lodge last summer and I would highly recommend it, especially if you can get a lakeside retreat. If you're looking for a special place in Yellowstone, try the Old Faithful Inn.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 04:02 PM
Kathy

I just read your post again and see that you're already staying at the Old Faithful Inn. Good choice.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 05:46 PM
Dayle

Dear Paeony: You are really in for a treat. Some of the most incredible & beautiful places in the world. One question - are you locked into your reservations or can you change the order? Old Faithful Lodge is wonderful, but it's more towards the southwest area of the park. Mammoth Hot Springs is further north, so you will be doing a lot of backtracking to Teton Natl Park & Jackson. Maybe reverse the order? 8 days is a lot, but we spent 7 once & really saw a LOT! Recommend the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum in Cody, WY. It's a long drive for a day trip, but this museum is the best collection of western art anywhere! If you like that sort of thing you should not miss all the Remmington bronzes & oils, Moran's early sketches of the Yellowstone, etc. etc. Also, the whole basement contains an amazing gun collection. I hate guns & even I found it impressive.

Another suggestion: You don't say where you are flying in. Might want to drive north on the western side of the Tetons through Idaho & Montana - very beautiful also. Then south on the Jackson side - this will easily take a whole day. You'll constantly be stopping for photo ops!

Lastly - DO NOT go off in the trees for an hour no matter how old you are! Unless you have a trail map and are totally prepared. Talk to the rangers about their recommendations for hikes & things to be aware of - like wildlife.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 07:57 PM
Becky

We enyoyed a family trip to Yellowstone and the Tetons several years ago--Signal Mountain Lodge was awesome! Try to get a cabin near the lake. I remember seeing children happily splashing around in the water next to their cabin, even though the water was freezing, even in August! There are bikes there also for the kids to use. We also rented a pontoon boat in the Marina there and spent a day cruising the lake. Have fun!

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 09:21 PM
Debbie

Signal Mountain Lake will probably be one of the best decisions you will ever make for a vacation for the Tetons! It is centrally located,one of the most majestic views right out your door on the lake and the smells/atmosphere are amazing.The lake is literally right outside your door-you can fish, rent boats,etc.Signal Mountain Lodge is a grouping of various types of housing. There are family type units overlooking wate,cabins,campgrounds,etc.It is the only non park owned spot in the Tetons and is well run and in great shape. Do make your reservations early or ask to be put on a waiting list as they have regulars who come back every year. I think that after you open your car door you will agree that it has a postcard view! I have written(along with many others on the Yellowstone/Teton trips with kids.)See if you can bring back these old threads using the key phrases.You will be amazed at the info you will receive. Be sure and eat at Bubbas in downtown Jackson(favorite of locals for great BBQ)-your kids will love it as it is casual and tasty.I also agree that 8 days in Yellowstone is alot.We stayed 4 in Yellowstone(we enjoyed the Yellowstone Museum in West Yellowstone-fascinating videos on fires,history,etc.),3 nights at Signal Mountain(we could not get any longer) and 2 in Jackson so we could go rafting.Good luck!

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Ladybug

Hi, Paeony - Hate to sound like an alarmist, but PLEASE don't allow your young kids to run loose on their own in a strange forested area - no matter how much they nag and pout.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 03:04 AM
Paeony

What a popular site. I think it's night time in the US so this site is much less busy and at last I can get to read my messsages! Thanks everyone for all your comments - all appreciated. I'll telephone Signal Mountain on Monday.
I'm very surprised it is thought that 8 nights in Yellowstone is a bit much - I'd assumed it wasn't enough! I'm very keen on intersting geological features so the thought of all that thermal activity is exciting (does that make me a sad person? Probably!). Also, one day we were going to go white water rafting in the Gardiner area just north of Mammoth Springs.
I assumed that Teton National Park was glorious but still 'just' mountains/river/lakes and I can see wonderful mountains much cheaper if we go the the Alps in Europe. However I'll have another think and maybe increase the 4 nights in Teton NP (thought we'd do a day trip to Jackson).
Again, thanks so much. Must dash as time is getting on and every Sunday we go for a pub lunch somewhere in Norfolk and then go for a walk for a few miles afterwards - must get the children in training for all the Yellowstone walking!
Paeony

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:33 PM
Connie

I would stay in the Old Faithfull Inn all of the time you are in Yellowstone. It my favorite place in the world.

Since you are going to be in Yellowstone a while, take time to go outside the park. I would STRONGLY recommend going out the north east entrance and driving the Bear Tooth Highway to Red Lodge then swinging down to Cody and back in the East entrance. The Bear Tooth Highway has been called the most scenic highway in the U.S.

You might also want to drive north to Bozeman Montana. The drive through the Gallating canyon is spectacular and Bozeman is a great town to visit with the Museum of the Rockies. I recommend the Pickle Barrell restaurant downtown for great deli sandwiches.

Have a great time!

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 08:54 PM
Lexma90

Paeony - I think your 8 days in Yellowstone and 4 days in Teton is a good schedule; you're right, Teton is gorgeous, but it is basically just beautiful mountains (though I think you'll enjoy noting the difference between the the Tetons & the Alps - no cows & cafes high up in the peaks, to start!). There are an amazing number of geothermal features in Yellowstone, as well as a huge amount of wildlife & just plain beautiful stuff. My 5-year-old and I became connoisseurs of the various geysers; if you want to see a lot of them go off, you really have to plan your timing (Beehive was one of our favorites, in the Old Faithful area). There are some geysers that are several miles off the road, so you have to hike to them.

Definitely try to fit in some hikes - like most of the U.S. national parks, most people don't get more than 500 feet from the road. Even the short (1-2 miles) hikes can be very interesting. At one, I think the mud pots hike, we were the only people in the mud pots area when a doe elk came wandering through, leaping gracefully over some of the mud pots.

At Teton, the Jenny Lake hike/boat ride is very popular, but even for this hike, there are many fewer people the further up the trail you go. We had gone about 5 feet off the trail (a big no-no, I'm aware) to have a picnic lunch, when a large young bull moose slowly picked his way through the willows next to us. I've never moved so fast in my life.

And also go to the Firehole swimming area (it's marked on the park maps). When my parents worked at the Park in the late 50s, this area was closed for swimming, but the employees would go there anyway; now it's open to all. The river is warmed by the geyser runoff, and not cold like most mountain rivers. You can go swimming, or just wade; your kids will love it!

Try to attend at least several ranger programs; each area has a bunch on offer, including fireside talks at night & kid-oriented talks. The Park also has a "junior ranger" program in which the kids complete various tasks (i.e., visiting certain areas, noting wilflife seen) during their stay, and then are presented with a badge by a ranger. They have 2 versions, for younger & older kids.

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Paul

Hi,
I used to live in Grand Teton NP, actually at Signal Mountain Lodge for a summer. I would recommend it. There are many places you can do day trips there and they also offer float trips on the Snake River right at the lodge. I would recommend splitting your time between Yellowstone and Grand Teton. Also, definitely visit the museum in Cody, WY. Email me if you have questions.
Paul

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Paeony

Just thought I'd check and see if there were any more messages and there were. Great! Thanks a lot. I've booked 4 nights at the Old Faithful Inn (the cheap rooms with paper thin walls and no bathroom - oh dear!), 4 nights at a motel in Gardiner just outside the park(hate to admit it but the children would like to see a little American TV after a long day hiking!) definitely with bathroom, and 4 nights at the Signal Lodge in a lakeside retreat (a treat to make up for no bathroom earlier). It's not totally ideal but I'm sure we'll enjoy it and I do appreciate everyone's comments. I'm printing everything out. I know the children will love the Firehole swimming and they've been oohing and ahhing at all the geyser and wildlife photos on the internet. If we don't see a bear or wolf I'm in big trouble!
By the way, does Cody have much more of a cowboy town feel than Jackson?
Thanks a lot.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Bob Brown

I have an iconoclastic point of view to offer. I personally was underwhelmed with Signal Mountain Lodge.
Perhaps kids can go off for an hour or so, but I am not sure you want them to go far because the place borders the main road.
Yellowstone as an interesting place is dependent on how much you want to see geysers, mud pots, paint pots, boiling pools, waterfalls, lakes, a colorful canyon, wildlife, and various other thermal features.
Personally, I could spend days ( 5 or 6)there, and have on several occasions. Watching the geysers erupt is fascinating to me and I enjoy reading about what makes them function. Why do the they erupt and not just boil and bubble??

The Tetons, even in my hiking days, was hardly worth more than 3 or 4 days.
We have driven the roads, and hiked up to Amphitheater Lake, which is quite a haul for a flatlander. And we have done Death Canyon and Indian Paintbrush Canyon on 10 mile wanderings.
If you don't hike, and ride the boats, I think 1 full day is sufficient for the Tetons, plus two or three hours at the Visitor Center at Colter Bay, which is small but very, very well done.

And you could throw in a float trip on the Snake that would use up 6 to 8 hours or so from the time you left until you returned.

Jackson is a tourist town full of motels and restaurants, nothing more or less. Any cowboy or Indian stuff is staged for the tourists.
The same is true of Cody. I have been through there, even shopped at the stores, and it is just like most other western towns with a lot of tourists passing through. The locals realize there is a buck to be made, so they do what they need to do to earn money.

If you want to add to your trip, drive out the northeast gate to Yellowstone and continue over the Beartooth Highway to Red Lodge, or perhaps drive only to the crest of the pass and then
retrace your steps and contineu on to Cody and back into Yellowstone via the east gate. The route to Cody passes through some very scenic country that seems to be a well kept secret.
The road is now paved all the way, contrary to what some maps might show.

One "cowboy" thing you might consider, if the season has started when you are there, is a chuck wagon cookout in Yellowstone.
The guests ride out in a stage coach and have a big meal western style.
Then the wranglers spin a few yarns that generally please the crowd.
Then you ride back to the point of origin.
Please note that the season in Yellowstone does not really get started until late May. May 31 is on a Friday this year, and my guess is that the full ranger staff will be there ready for duty on June 1. The highway between Canyon and Mt. Washburn may still be blocked until later in June. It is normally the last section opened as a result of snow accumulation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -