Reload this Page >

If you were spending a weekend in Washington DC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 06:42 PM
Katie

Where would you stay? What restaurants would you go to?
Budget will be pretty good, so tell me about the really cool or just fun weekend you would like to have.
(I am doing my own research, but this is always fun to hear others ideas)
Thanks! Katie S

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 08:12 PM
xx

I'd stay at the Mayflower-beautiful rooms (bath & body works shampoo etc.) and great location. Eat at Kincade's, the Palm or Vidalia. I would take the Gray Line Tour so that I could see everything in a day. I'd shop in Georgetown and pick one or two museums at the Smithsonian. I'd try to see some of the monuments at night when other things are closed. The Metro is the easiest, fastest way to get around.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 09:31 PM
trees

Go to the White House where they have twelve christmas trees with the most expensive decorations from across the nation. Opps! Only the Bushs can see them.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 05:55 AM
katie

Hey,xxx & trees, thanks!
I will be checking out the Mayflower, and the restaurants. Isn't there a hotel that has a Metro stop IN it?
Is the Hay Adams too "old & stuffy"?
Thank you for the ideas!

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Jim Rosenberg

I go to Washington a couple of times a year and I really enjoy the Dupont Circle area. It's active, with tons of shops, restaurants and urban energy. There is access to the metro for ranging further, too. I've heard mixed reviews of the Radisson Barcelo here, but they have huge rooms and they've always treated me well. The location is superb and I'm invariably able to get a decent rate. My suggestion would be to concentrate more on the neighborhood than simply the hotel itself. Aside from the Radisson, I've found good values for DC on www.quikbook.com.

For a great seafood dinner in a none-too-formal environment:

http://www.marketinnrestaurant.com

You can either take the metro to Federal Center or just grab a cab. The She-crab soup alone is worth the trip.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 04:18 AM
kathy

Check out the washingtonian.com a great deal of restaurant info for DC. I would not miss Kinkead's or Bistro Bis. I would also check out opentable.com for reviews of restaurants and to make reservations online. Have a great trip.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 04:36 AM
xxx

Katie, a Ritz-Carlton sits right above the Pentagon City Metro Station.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 07:01 AM
Pam

Dupont Circle is a great place to stay. We stayed at Dupont at the Circle which is a lovely B&B about 2 blocks from the metro stop. We ate at Johnnys Half Shell which is fun! Go to the Tabard for drinks. We thought Kincade's was a scene..but then again so is Johnnys..you just pay a little less there. There is a wonderful private exhibit in a house in the Dupont Circle area..(does anyone remember the name..) many good pieces impressionists, calder sculptures. Adams Morgan is also a good area. We loved DC..it reminded us of Paris in many ways.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 07:42 AM
hans

I'd have Sunday brunch at Gabriels (in the Radisson) just off Dupont Circle. Reservations a must.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Mike T

The Grand Hyatt sits on top of the Metro Center metro station and there is an Embassy Suites atop the Friendship Heights station.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Katie

Wow, so many good ideas!
I am thinking of stretching this visit out to 3-4 days now! Thank you all! Katie

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Pam, are you thinking of the Phillips Collection on 21st Street, perhaps? It's excellent. Here's the website:

http://www.phillipscollection.org/

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 11:09 PM
Pam

Thanks,Jim..that's it..check itout Katie.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 04:00 AM
Jim Rosenberg

Okay, as long as we're keeping this one alive, here's a place to go in that neighborhood that's none-too-expensive and definitely unique:

Brickskeller, 1523 22nd Street NW

Here are my notes: The Brickskeller Dining House & Down-Home Saloon is a tribute to beer and brewing around the world. This place has an absolutely incredible selection of beer -- 10 pages of names in very small type. Since opening in 1957, the Brickskeller has handled more than 5,000 different labels at one time or another. If you've had a brew anywhere, the chances are better than good that they may have some on hand and ready to serve to you. It's a great, cozy atmosphere and the place can draw a crowd.

The food menu is a selection of mostly burgers and pizzas; simple, but they are well-prepared and filling. Best of all, everything but the seafood platter and crab cake platter go for well under $9, so this place is a bonafide budget place to eat in Washington DC. And while some of the fancy imported beers can top $11.95 a bottle, the vast majority of the list seems to fall into the $5 or less category -- again, a very decent price in the Nation's capital city. Just to be creative, there is a selection of "Beer Tails" -- mixed drinks all made with beer, including such concoctions as "ale punch", "whistle belly vengence", and "skip and go naked".

This is a wonderful place for a casual dinner with friends or you can even toddle in yourself and quickly make some new friends at the bar, but don't be surprised if you decide not to leave too quickly as you study brews from around the planet. It's an extra fun place and the staff knows what the hospitality business is all about.