Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

If you wanted to splurge on one island...which would you choose?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to cut costs somewhere on our Kauai/Maui/Big Island trip. But the more reseach I do, the more beautiful places to stay I find. I had thought that going for a cheaper hotel or privately owned accomodation on Maui would be the better choice as we would be out of our rooms most of the day doing acitivies. Is this a silly way to think? Any advice as to which island I should go cheaper?
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 09:54 AM

I guess it depends what your priorities are. Personally I would spend a few extra $)$$ to be at a resort with its own sandy beach on the Big Island, because there is a lot of lava on the beaches and swimming conditions vary.

Maui has the most sandy beaches of any island so a $)$$ saving condo here is a reasonable choice, unless you're really into pools and a great beach (i.e. stay at Grand Wailea).

On Kauai, Princeville Hotel (ranked#2 of all resorts in Hawaii) has a decent beach but nearby condo's also share access to the same beach. I would stay at a condo in Princeville area to save $)$$ and drive to many of the outstanding beaches in Kauai (e.g. Kee beach, Poipu).
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 10:43 AM

Agreed - the beaches on the big island tend to be nicer near the big hotels - the black sand beach is a must visit, however. there are plenty of nice beaches with public access on Maui - we've stayed in a condo at Kahana which was fine - most of our time was spent beach hopping anyway. If you stay north on Kauai, you can get to Kee or Tunnels beach easily. If you stay south, Pole Hale, Poipu, Shipwreck are great. Condos abound on Kauai - Kiahana Plantation has some nice ones south - or check VRBO.com for other options.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 06:47 PM

Have been to all three islands. There is really nothing cheap about Hawaii. Just splurge and enjoy yourself. Each island has its own unique features and its hard to pick a favorite because we had a great time on all of them. Have a great time and save money when you get home.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 07:13 PM

Good choice.

Old Jan 5th, 2004, 07:41 PM

My husband and I went to both the Big Island and Kauai on our honeymoon. I would HIGHLY recommend the Kona Village Resort on the Big Island. It's extremely expensive-especially if you stay in one of the "hales" in a more desirable location but it's worth every penny. The staff there is so incredibly nice and they bend over backwards (and would do backflips too) to make sure your stay is top notch. All meals are included (breakfast and dinner is wonderful but lunch is just ok) so you don't have to worry about that. We also did a helicopter tour that was amazing. Have fun wherever you end up!
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 09:48 PM

Although it is mentioned time & time again on this website I feel compelled to mention it again. Through Priceline you can get a resort on the beach for around $140.00. 3*'s cam be has for around $85. Go to biddingfortravel.com for details. The hotels would be Hyatt, Westin, Hilton, or Prince resorts. My "splurge" accomodation would be on the Big Island. Have fun!
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Toms - I LOVE your response!!! Unfortunately my finance feels a little differently about money. He wants to save some money to actually DO things when we get there (instead of spending it all on awesome accomodations and feeling stapped for cash when we are there). That dreaded "budget".

Anyway, DanaPMc - I am SOOOO torn about where to stay on the Big Island - 4Seasons and Kona Village. I have heard only wonderful things about both. And having all meals included!!!! I like that! But if we are going all out, why not stay at 4S? Which place is better? And what's the best hale to get at Kona?

Any more opions keep 'em coming..... : )
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 12:55 PM

We stayed at www.hideawaycove.com when we were in Kauai. It is about 2 blocks from Poipu beach. There was a view from the balcony upstairs. The place was beautiful! and so much less expensive than staying in a resort.
We thought Kauai would be relaxing and Maui more active, but we ended up being more active in Kauai and relaxed in Maui when we were staying at a resort.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 01:01 PM

If you decide to stay at the 4S B.I., you will experience what the travel channel considers Hawaii's top resort.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 03:56 PM

4 Seasons IMO is a nicer resort. The dining is excellent, you can snorkle in the man made lagoon, and there are lots of beautiful turtles along the shoreline.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 05:35 PM

There's quite a few different hales. We stayed in a New Hebrides style hale. If you go to KonaVillage.com you can see floor plans for all their hales. That place will definitely take a big chunk out of your budget. I don't think I ever told my husband exactly how much it cost. We did stay at a cheaper place on Kauai to sort of balance it out.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 05:49 PM

I personally love Maui. Never been to Kaui. Usually stay at a condo hotel in Kaanapali area in Maui. Very nice!!
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 10:13 AM

We went to the BI over Thanksgiving, and of three places we stayed, we liked the cheapest the best. If you love snorkeling, I'd recommend saving the splurge for another island.

The cheapest place we stayed was in South Kona at the Keauhou Beach resort; it was a decent hotel with a lousy beach, but exceptional snorkeling. The number and variety of fish we saw there were amazing, and we shared the water with several sea turtles, who would swim within a foot or so of us. (If people are wondering, we didn't approach them or feed them.) We also had our best meal at the Keei Cafe, a little further south.

On the Kohala coast, we stayed at the Marriott, which had a fairly good beach and fair snorkeling. Although we checked out the beaches at the Hapuna Prince and the Mauna Kea, we still ended up going back to South Kona twice to snorkel.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 01:58 PM
alg

We have been to both the Big Island and Kauai. I highly recommend the Hapuna Beach Resort on the Big Island. The rooms are nice, the beach is amazing, and you have signing privileges at the resort next door (the Mauna Kea). On Kauai, we also rented one of the Hideaway Cove villas. I think that a condo is the way to go on Kauai. There is so much to do during the day that it is nice to relax at night, grill dinner on the lanai and make a mai tai! Have fun.