Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Good Resturant in Columbus German Village?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Sharon

Planning to visit the Ohio Village in Columbus on a Saturday in December and would like to find a resturant in the German Village. Looking for something unique and different. Two couples wearing jeans. Any suggestions?

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Karen

IF you like German food try Schmidt's on Kossuth-very famous in Columbus. The cream puffs are excellent. Enjoy Columbus.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 11:24 AM
carol

I would highly recomend Barcelona on Whittier(the best hummas in the city). The atmoshere here is funky, with a very attractive space. If your jeans are dressed up a bit, G Michaels has the best food and one of the prettiest restaurants in German Village, or Columbus for that matter. Their beef is excellent as well as the rest of the menu. Both have valet parking.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Elisachristine

I went to law school in Columbus and lived in German Village. I think Linday's is probably the best place, nicest decor etc..and the Old MoHawk is good for lunch.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 12:08 PM
SA

They won't like the jeans @ Lindey's. The Olde Mohawk is a great suggestion as well as The Thurman Cafe (The Cave). If you want a taste of the neighborhood The Cave is the place.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Chuck

Lindey's is the best, you are right no jeans. Schmidts is good if you like German Food.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 09:01 AM
sharon

Thanks for all your suggestions. We will definitely be doing jeans so sounds like Olde Mohawk, Thurman Cafe or Schmidt's would be good. Do either of the first two have house specialties and will we be looking at a 1 or 2 hour wait on Sat. evening? Does anyone know the street locations? Thanks.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 10:09 AM
SA

Mohawk is @ 819 Mohawk & Thurman Cafe is @ 183 (?) Thurman (southern edge of the Village, 1 block south of Schiller Park). Try digital city for exact addresses. I also forgot about Planks (go north of the Park 1 full block, go left until you hit High)1-4 blocks depending on where you leave the Park from. Used to on Saturdays they would have sing-alongs w/piano & accordian that was great fun. It is right on S. High St. I'm sure anyone can steer you to Schmidts as it is on a back little cut-through street kind of behind the Kroger store.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Sharon

Thanks for the info. Not sure yet which one we'll do, all sound great. I'll post on Monday.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 08:02 AM
sharon

When in Rome... so we went to Schmidts for dinner. German would not have been my first choice, but everyone enjoyed it and we had a great day. Thanks again for the suggestions since you're the ones that really know the area.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Chuck

Sharon-How was Ohio Village? They had some budget cuts and layoffs of artisans.