Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Ideas for Thanksgiving weekend (from NY)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

My husband and I are trying to think where we can go for thanksgiving weekend. We live in NY and have never to been to any place close by. (We just moved here). We like scenic places and culture and a little bit of adventure.
We would really appreciate any ideas.

Thanks!!
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 11:15 AM

I think you wrote in another post you don't drive. Is that still the case? Do you want to fly somewhere?
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 06:33 PM

Well, for Thanksgiving, Plimoth Plantation (south of Boston near Plymouth) comes to mind. They have the original Thankgiving party thing pretty much covered. I think Sturbridge Village (central Mass) also does an old-timey feast.

Or you could probably find a nice Inn in Berekshires,Catskills,or Adirondacks.

Old Apr 29th, 2006, 06:37 PM

plimouth plantation was wonderful.
we went last year.
Reservations for dinner will go on sale JUne 1 . they sell out quickly so get information now as there are several different dinner choices

melissa
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 06:52 PM

The original posting was that you live in NY and want to go somewhere close by. Eastern Mass is not "close by." Where in NY are you located? It makes a big difference if you are located in NYC, Buffalo or Plattsburg.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

We live in NYC.
We are hoping we should be able to start driving by then. having said that, it is ok with us to fly someplace as well, if it is a lil too long to drive, but the place is worth visiting...
We are not only looking at places where we can experience an original thanksgiving party...it is also ok with us to consider this as a good opportunity to take a break and visit some place. We are trying to figure out what are the places that one can go to for 4 days from NYC (either drive to or fly) during Nov. (Sorry, i think i did not mention this as clearly in my original message)
Thanks a lot!!

Old Apr 30th, 2006, 08:13 AM

I am aware that you're looking for a place that is close by.

This may not be your cup of tea, but, a 4-day long weekend had provided us (wife and I) a few opportunities to fly out of New York and into Paris or Madrid. These cities are scenic, they have culture in their own ways and there's certainly always some form of adventure whenever in a foreign city. Just my $0.02.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:42 PM

How about Saratoga Springs? It's a pretty neat little town.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:33 AM

Old Sturbridge Village decided just before last Thanksgiving to no longer offer the dinner, and they are shedding themselves of the lodging too. But don't be discouraged, as there is other dining and lodging nearby, and the "Village" will be open for visits. Maybe you'd want to take a Metro North train to New Haven and drive from there? Or Amtrak to Springfield?

I second Saratoga Springs NY as a nice place to visit. A nice compact but beautiful downtown area, good restaurants and coffeeshops. Entertainment. You could take Amtrak or drive up I-87. Or try somewhere in the lower Hudson Valley.