Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

ideas for 'old west' experience in Grand circle North

Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 12:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have spent a long time researching this site and come up with itinery for GC North rim, Bryce, Page and Zion then back to Las Vegas for September 2008. Now one of the party (of 4) has said "So we'll be looking at rocks for 12 days, but I want to see Tombstone". Other than euthanasia for him can anyone suggest place/s on our original route that might give him some flavour of 'the old west' as it seems to me that tombstone is a hell of a way and may be just a tourist trap anyway.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 01:32 AM

Leave him home? Rock him to sleep (with one of the rocks that he doesn't want to see) then persuade him when he wakes up that you took him to Tombstone and he got into a fight?
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

realised on UK time am out of sync with U.S.A so I am topping this.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 06:59 AM
TheWeasel

Paria movie set

http://www.so-utah.com/grand/paria/homepage.html

Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:26 AM

How very cool, Weasal!

Order "Cinema Southwest: An Illustrated Guide to the Movies and Their Locations" from Amazon.com - and then go on a treasure hunt for locations in the area you are traveling.

Page 152-153 - The Best Filming Locations to visit in the SW -
1. Monument Valley - AZ
2. Page - AZ
8. Moab - UT
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the suggestions, I was with rm_mn and the rocks first but the other 2 ideas look interesting.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 08:17 AM

Planning,

Unfortunately, the Paria movie set was burned down by arsonists a few months ago. I haven't heard anything about trying to restore it. Probably won't happen unless someone wants to make another movie in the area.

I'll see what I can find out for you. You also might want to contact the Kanab Chamber of Commerce or Utah Film Dept. and see what they say.

You might also want to tell the old west enthusiast that you will be going to many places where Butch Cassidy and the Wild Bunch robbed, rode, and hid out from the law! Circleville, near Bryce, was where Butch grew up.

Also, just outside of Zion is the old "ghost" town of Grafton. Not much left, but kind of cool to see. They filmed quite a few scenes from "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" in Zion and Grafton.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

googled grafton utah and found some good sites with photos. That sort of place might just do the trick. Any other suggestions greatfully received.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 11:29 AM

On your route from Page, Arizona to Bryce Canyon you will pass through Kanab, Utah. It has some interesting things to see and do if you have the time. http://www.go-utah.com/Kanab
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 08:37 PM
TheWeasel

30 minutes the other way from Las Vegas:
http://www.bonniesprings.com/

Probably a tourist trap like Tombstone, but a lot closer.

Old Apr 4th, 2007, 07:34 AM

planning_ahead, I just topped a thread that may be helpful.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

starrsville - thanks for taking the time and interest in my quest. I was a bit confused because the first thread I found when I clicked your name was about making your own pet food! and I thought it was a valid if dubious option for my reluctant friend. On further investigation I found the link to Tombstone thread.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 12:25 PM

Old Apr 8th, 2007, 12:15 AM

Grafton is not what it use to be. The chruch is still there and they have restored the big house and the back drop of Zion is worth the short drive. There Grafton Cemetery is on the left before you reach the town.

I'd also recommend Kanab, Utah and across from Ruby's Inn just outside of Bryce is a little old west town. I think they have a rodeo & chuckwagon dinners. http://www.utah.com/oldwest/

Utahtea
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 04:29 AM

Utahtea is back on the board! It is always so good to see your name on here. I hope you have been doing lots of traveling and creating lots of memories. You are missed when you aren't here talking about the west!
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 08:26 AM
mlw

Good to see Utahtea back on this board. I am also interested in a "Western" experience during our trip next month, especially for my DH, who grew up watching the Saturday morning westerns. We will be camping at Zion, Bryce,Cap Reef, then on to Monument Valley,the North Rim, and back to Vegas. If there is a "chuckwagon dinner" or something like that near Bryce, we could do that one evening. Can anyone give me specifics?
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 11:12 PM

Hi starrsville,

I wish we've been on the road traveling, but have only done one night of camping since last October...but hope to get back on the road again soon.

mlw,

I've never done the chuckwagon dinner but I read about one on this website: http://www.utah.com/attractions/rubys_inn.htm where they have one at ruby's inn.

When in Captiol Reef make sure you do the Capitol Gorge hike and go see Pioneer Register.

While in Monument Valley you will want to stop at the Gouldings Trading Post. Your husband is going to love Monument Valley...so many old westerns were filmed there. If you don't need electrical hooks ups and don't mind a little run down campground...camp at the Monument Valley Tribal Park...360 degrees of scenery. Get up early to watch the sunrise between the mittens!

I'm trying to talk my husband into a trip to Utah next month too!

Utahtea

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 06:40 AM
mlw

Thanks Utahtea! Yes we are already looking forward to Monument Valley and we are having our own John Ford/ John Wayne Film Fest at home. Watched "Stagecoach" a few nights ago, and we can't wait to be there!
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 07:07 AM

If you are at all interested in animals, the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary is in Kanab and you can tour that.

The reason I mention that, is on the tour they pointed out several locations where they filmed westerns, including "ambush curve" and the place where Tonto stood on a rock (or something like that).