Ideas for Mom/Little girl trip??

Old Feb 28th, 2004, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideas for Mom/Little girl trip??

Hi all...I am planning to take my daughter on a surprise trip for her 7th birthday in May.It will be just the two of us and I'm having trouble deciding where to go!We both love the water and Im pretty wide open to just about anywhere..even though it will just be for a long weekend.I have thought about the Breakers in Palm Beach and Atlantis /Paradise Island..even though Im not a huge Nassau fan.It would be great to find a spa where kids are welcome or somewhere that didnt require car rental.Just fly in/fly out with no hassle.We live in the South so somewhere close would be nice...Hope you guys have some great ideas....
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 05:37 AM

I have been to Paradise Island without children and enjoyed the time there, I am not sure how much there is for a 7 year old once the beach/pool time is over.
I would imagine somewhere more like DisneyWorld / Universal would be 7 year old fun..?
Breakers, aside from the beach, what in the world would a 7 year old do? shop? play golf?
I think it is a sweet and lovely idea, 7 is just a little difficult to me, they seem to prefer staying with their friends and playing, few are that interested in traveling ~
Good luck and whatever you do, have fun!
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 05:57 AM
emd

It sounds like you want the sun and beach. But because of your title, others who may read this post who are looking for something really special, fun, and memorable for a girl that age through early teen years, so I'll throw out that I took my daughter to the America Girl place in Chicago for a weekend for her 8th birthday. We spent the day Sat. at American Girl place. They have a musical play in which preteen girls dramatize the historical story of each of the American Girl dolls and their period of time in American History. There are also life size displays of all the American girls in settings of their time periods. And a cafe where girls can put their doll in a high chair next to them at the table for lunch. And of course the AG store, which is pretty cool also, all the AG dolls and costumes and accessories and books. It's a package deal for the day, and includes a photo session where your daughter gets her picture taken professionally and it is put on the front of a replica of American Girl magazine for her to keep. My daughter wasn't even into American Girls that much when we went there but she loved it and really got into the books after that. We also went to the Field museum and the incredible Museum of Science and Industry (which she claims is the "best museum for kids anywhere", and we live in DC area so that's saying alot) She has begged to go back ever since that trip and still talk about it each year on her birthday, and she is 12 now.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 06:07 AM

As a Florida resident, I highly recommend the Gaylord Palms Resort (gaylordpalms.com) in Orlando. Every child loves Disney (which is a 5 min shuttle ride) and every women loves the spa! This hotel has one of the best spas in Orlando. There are 3 very large pool areas (one themed for children), wonderful restaurants inside and the entire inside of hotel is groomed with beautiful tropical trees, plants and waterfalls. An inside room, which has a quaint balcony overlooks the beautiful tropical area they have created. The spa is not cheap, but well worth every penny. My daughter prefers to go to Seaworld (which recently has some new additions) because she can actually touch the dolphins. Seaworld is also close to the hotel. Take a look at their website. We have gone there twice in the past 9 months and we love it. I did not book directly with the hotel, as I found lower prices at travelocity.com and hotels.com. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 07:16 AM
Tess

We took our kids to Beaches Negril when our daughter was 8 and the beach/pool kept her completely happy for five days--at that age, they really don't want any other diversions. It sounds like Negril is more of a trek than you're looking for but check out Wyndham Rose Hall outside of Montego Bay. We haven't been but I've checked it out in the past and it looks like a great place for kids--it even has a little waterpark on site. Another thought--what about a three or four day cruise?

If you don't want beaches, etc., I second the idea of Chicago and American Girl. I took my daughter there when she was seven and we had a great time. Girls take their American Girl dolls along--they even set a place for them at the table. Too too cute. Haven't heard much about the new A.G. store in New York, but that's a possibility, too. You could combine this with a day at the spa (my now 12 year old daughter's a spa-diva in training, too--ha!) and it sounds like a great mom-daughter trip. Have fun!

Old Feb 28th, 2004, 07:43 AM

I know you mentioned being near water, but how about a long weekend in New York City? American Girl recently opened a store here. You can take her to see Beauty and the Beast on Broadway, have afternoon tea at The Plaza Hotel and see where Eloise roams while you're there. There are many day spas where you can both get a manicure and or a pedicure. Other places in New York City I can think of are the Central Park Children's Zoo, top of the Empire State Building, a Staten Island Ferry ride, maybe a ballet. Other than that I suggest Disney and or Universal in Orlando.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 07:54 AM
GoTravel

How about one of the Disney resorts that has a spa? I took my neice to get a manicure, pedicure, and blowout for her eighth birthday and she was thrilled. I also like the Disney idea. If you can, a limo is always a big thrill.

Old Feb 28th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ,guys for all of your replies thus far.We did the Disney thing last Spring Break..enjoyed ourselves but dont want to go back 2 years in a row.I also thought about the Chicago thing...I was there in November for a girls trip and the AG store is cool...may do that sometime this year around Christmas.We are having a birthday party here for her friends and stuff so this trip is not just for her...but me as well..lol.She has really been wanting to do the Atlantis thing for awhile now(thanks mary-kate and Asley)but my experience with Nassau vs. some of my other island experience has been subpar.I may end up giving it a shot though..Any other ideas you may have???Thanks
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 06:02 PM

How about Key West or the Keys? Shopping, museums, aquariums, tours, snorkeling, boating, pools, etc. Loads of stuff for both Mom and Daughter to do.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 06:30 PM

Don't under estimate the fact that it's together time. My own daughter (now 18 year old college freshman) has always enjoyed our "just the 2 of us", and it really didn't matter what we did. We've been everywhere London, Germany. Paris, Austria even Zimbabwe as well as many US locations including Florida beaches, Williamsburg VA, Baltimore....etc..... etc.....What we always enjoy the most is the time together. This past summer we went on the spur of the moment to Assategue Island we took a pop up tent, sleeping bags, our swimsuits and a cooler full of drinks & snacks and had a great weekend together, sunning all day and cooking corn and crabs over the fire at night!

Pick a place with a beach and a spa that you can both enjoy (7 year olds like manicures & pedicures too!) Order late night room service and an in room movie.